Recruiting - 2016

Scott Highmark has had a real opportunity to talk on TV; we could use another kid that could play well for us; play professionally and come back to do sports or run for mayor not that we need to follow the Detroit model. If Tatum's kid can talk he can make a name for himself-Monroe Doughlas played for 4 years for SLU and made an immediate living selling cars-now a days kids have opportunities to keep playing as well. I thought Bonner could have made it to the Billiken bench as an assistant but that seems to have passed. At least Danny Brown is getting a chance here and we have a couple of really good high school coaches from the program-that all matters.

No offense but Tatum will be making a much more lucrative living than any of those other guys. I don't think selling him on the possibility of becoming an assistant coach or color-commentator is much of a selling point.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not forget that jayson and roby are friends.

He also appears to be friends with guys he played with on the national team, so he is going to have guys trying to pull him to a number of different places.

I think these quotes at least show that SLU has a chance and will be in this until the end.

I wonder what his dad tells him about his time at SLU...

Considering that was 3 head coaches and a $100 million on-campus arena ago, it's not necessary a valid comparison.

I was not trying to make any point like that. Justin was an interesting character when he was at SLU, I was curious what he shared about his time at SLU with his son. There were some pretty legendary stories about the guy.

I heard Cusumano on with Earl Austin the other day and he was really driving SLU being the leader for Jayson. Earl did his best to pull him back saying how tough it is to land top prospects over the blue bloods. I guess I would rather Frank be overly optimistic and continue to say why SLU would be a great choice than say we have no chance now that Calipari, Roy Williams, and Self are stopping in.

Honestly SLU makes a lot of sense for Tatum, as a Chaminade grad I just need some time with him and I think I can make the sell. I may need some help from Pistol though. He has the opportunity to be a legend in this town and still go onto be a NBA lottery pick after one season of college basketball.

Earl tried pulling Frank back to earth because Earl knows the chance of Tatum becoming a Billiken is close to 0%. I want Tatum at SLU, but the chances that it's actually going to happen are similar to Fordham making the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

I love that frank is one of the few local media that has always supported the billikens but I've been listening to him overstate our chances with local recruits for 20 years. A few have ended up at slu but most havent. People should take everything that comes from him with a grain of salt.

I love that frank is one of the few local media that has always supported the billikens but I've been listening to him overstate our chances with local recruits for 20 years. A few have ended up at slu but most havent. People should take everything that comes from him with a grain of salt.

I completely agree. Frank just said at this point he would be stunned if Jayson left the state.

I completely agree. Frank just said at this point he would be stunned if Jayson left the state.

Ha!

I definitely believe the chances of Jayson staying local are higher than they were for Beal or Lee, but I'd put it at more like 25%, split in some form between Mizzou and SLU. The other 75% can be split however people want by the usual powers (UK, Duke, Ohio St. Florida, etc.).

A few points:

• It's great to have at least one homer (Rammer and Earl aside) in the local media. Cusumano may be overstating the likelihood of Tatum's chances of coming to SLU, but he still got an interview with the kid, who said very positive things about us. Nothing wrong with that.
  • The very fact that Tatum is seriously considering SLU alongside the likes of Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina, et al is a very nice development for us. Even if he doesn't choose us in the end, he considered us for the bloodlines and the chance to stay home for at least a year and be a hometown hero, playing in front of his family and friends. Past top-flight recruits didn't consider SLU seriously, or at least not deep into their recruitment, so the longer we're still in the game, the better. When we take the top kids in the class seriously and vice-versa, the rest of the kids in the class look at us more seriously.
  • Another positive even if we don't land him: he comes from a loaded class from two loaded programs - Chaminade and the Eagles. We're not just recruiting Tatum, but we're also looking at kids like Gladson, Cook, Barnes, and others. Not to mention other 2016 names in the area, like Gooch. It's a nice opportunity to recruit kids not necessarily just as package deals, but as a realistic place where teammates and friends can go together.

As TheChosenOne recapped, it's hard to compete with the blue bloods ("How do you keep 'em down on the farm when they've seen Karl Hungus?"). But if we're going to make return apperances in the top 10, we need to very seriously recruit the top local talent and eventually land some of them. There's obviously a long way to go with Tatum; it's nothing but a positive thing to have him still saying great things about us, though.