Marquis Teague

Brandon Knight

Michael Kidd Gilchrist

Anthony Davis

Archie Goodwin

Eric Bledsoe

Daniel Orton

Nerlens Noel

All have been drafted in the first round from Kentucky.

Darius Miller

Deandre Liggins

Josh Harrelson

Doron Lamb

All have been drafted in the second round and are from Kentucky. Some of these guys didn't even score double digits while at UK.

Now I know that correlation does not equal causation. But as far as college basketball coaches go, Cal has about as convincing a case as anyone when it comes to offering a track record of getting guys in the NBA. Would I want Cal to coach my favorite team or would I want my son to play for him? Probably not. But if Tatum went there I would be confident that he would be drafted and drafted high.

Yes, but how many of these guys would have been NBA first rounders already if they were allowed be drafted out of high school. Calipari seems to get about four or five top 20 recruits every year, and nobody talks about the guys that aren't first rounders who would have been otherwise. Seems like the best you can do at Kentucky is hold steady on your draft stock, but there are many other situations where they lose ground by going there with so many other guys in the mix.

Wow, I just looked at Tatum's numbers this season:

25.9 points

10.5 rebounds

4.4 assists

2.4 steals

2.5 blocks

53.2% FG

41.4% 3FG

83.1% FT

Phenomenal. By the way, does anyone know how many points he had last season? I think he averaged 13, which means he scored around 360 last season, maybe a little over. He's at 622 this season, so he should be very near 1000 if he hasn't hit it yet. Not bad for a sophomore.

Also, can someone explain to me how 19-7 CBC is #1 and 22-2 Chaminade is #2? Is it strength of schedule, the fact that most of those losses were in out-of-town tournaments to out-of-town schools?

Yes, but how many of these guys would have been NBA first rounders already if they were allowed be drafted out of high school. Calipari seems to get about four or five top 20 recruits every year, and nobody talks about the guys that aren't first rounders who would have been otherwise. Seems like the best you can do at Kentucky is hold steady on your draft stock, but there are many other situations where they lose ground by going there with so many other guys in the mix.

None. Calipari "developed" all of them. ;)

None. Calipari "developed" all of them. ;)

Nobody is saying that.

All I said is that Calipari has a track record of getting kids to the NBA. Whether or not you believe that Cal is the one responsible, there's no denying that there is a correlation there. As a coach it's worth more to say that you got top recruits and moved them forward as NBA prospects.

Even if another coach would have developed those players into equally promising prospects, they don't have the track record that Cal has. Like I said, I wouldn't want him as my coach and I don't think I'd want my son to play for him. But don't you agree that you can see how a high school junior would see those list of players and think to his self, "cal is going to get me to the NBA."

Also, can someone explain to me how 19-7 CBC is #1 and 22-2 Chaminade is #2? Is it strength of schedule, the fact that most of those losses were in out-of-town tournaments to out-of-town schools?

CBC has 7 losses on the season, but only one of those was to a local team (the second meeting with Chaminade). Chaminade dropped from the top spot after losing to McCluer North.

I was looking at the state playoff bracket and Chaminade and CBC are on different ends of the bracket. Chaminade/Columbia Hickman would make for a fun semifinal game. I am not sure where to find state rankings, but I know Columbia Hickman is a really tough team led by junior Jimmy Whitt.

Our chances in the A10= 0%

Our chances in the Big East = 0%

You're a lot like the kid on the JV basketball team who only made the team because they didn't have enough guys trying out and then wears his warm ups to school every day and brags about how he's on the team - You act like you know everything but in reality know nothing

As we have seen, the local kids are the last to jump on the SLU bandwagon. If SLU is the perennial "up and coming" program but doesn't quite make it most years, like being #122 RPI, then SLU has too much historical baggage and the locals say no. Even those wanting to stay local then choose Mizzou. In this regard, RM found it easier to get BC from Oregon, KM from Minnesota (right?), CE from Australia, RL from New Zealand... Now that SLU is winning... 20 game winning streak... 3rd trip to the Tourney... #8 in the country... SLU is being noticed -- even by the local recruits. Conference affiliation is not what it is cracked up to be. Players would rather be on a winning program and nationally ranked in a mediocre or average conference (Wichita State this year and teams Butler, Gonzaga, etc. in the past) than in 3rd or 4th place of some conference (such as new Big East).

Now, as a season ticket holder, I'd much rather watch Marquette, Georgetown and Villanova come to town than I would St. Joes, VCU and George Washington. I would also rather watch a bad DePaul or Butler team as opposed to a bad Duquesne, Fordham, St. Bona or George Mason team. Of course, I would rather be in top/better conference but we are doing better in the A10 than we ever did in Conference USA where we would play nearly perfect games to beat Cincy and UAB at home but then have zero chance of winning at their places or ever truly contending for the conference championship. If the recruits/players are not there, just ask how things are going to for Butler, DePaul and Seton Hall. If still in the Horizon, Butler would probably be going to the Tourney again this year, the new unproven coach would have great PR and everyone would be saying how Butler just reloads each year from within!! Instead, a stronger conference has knocked Butler on its asx two (2) years in a row. And let's see how Creighton fares next year without the chance to rebuild quietly and without pressure in the Valley. With an extremely young and inexperienced team next year, we don't want to become the next Butler.

It's all about winning, not conference affiliation.

As we have seen, the local kids are the last to jump on the SLU bandwagon. If SLU is the perennial "up and coming" program but doesn't quite make it most years, like being #122 RPI, then SLU has too much historical baggage and the locals say no. Even those wanting to stay local then choose Mizzou. In this regard, RM found it easier to get BC from Oregon, KM from Minnesota (right?), CE from Australia, RL from New Zealand... Now that SLU is winning... 20 game winning streak... 3rd trip to the Tourney... #8 in the country... SLU is being noticed -- even by the local recruits. Conference affiliation is not what it is cracked up to be. Players would rather be on a winning program and nationally ranked in a mediocre or average conference (Wichita State this year and teams Butler, Gonzaga, etc. in the past) than in 3rd or 4th place of some conference (such as new Big East).

Now, as a season ticket holder, I'd much rather watch Marquette, Georgetown and Villanova come to town than I would St. Joes, VCU and George Washington. I would also rather watch a bad DePaul or Butler team as opposed to a bad Duquesne, Fordham, St. Bona or George Mason team. Of course, I would rather be in top/better conference but we are doing better in the A10 than we ever did in Conference USA where we would play nearly perfect games to beat Cincy and UAB at home but then have zero chance of winning at their places or ever truly contending for the conference championship. If the recruits/players are not there, just ask how things are going to for Butler, DePaul and Seton Hall. If still in the Horizon, Butler would probably be going to the Tourney again this year, the new unproven coach would have great PR and everyone would be saying how Butler just reloads each year from within!! Instead, a stronger conference has knocked Butler on its asx two (2) years in a row. And let's see how Creighton fares next year without the chance to rebuild quietly and without pressure in the Valley. With an extremely young and inexperienced team next year, we don't want to become the next Butler.

It's all about winning, not conference affiliation.

Absolutely right.

But I'll take the Beast if I can get it. :)

Chaminade was upset by Ladue in the districts last night so their season is over

Tatum was shut down by a very good Ladue team. All comparisons to Beal should be put on hold for now.

Any prospects at Ladue then?

Nah. Their best player is 5'6" point guard Cornell Johnston. He is a hell of a player but doesn't really project at SLU's level. He dropped 26 or 28 on Chaminade last night.

• 1 month later...

Highlight video of Tyler Cook and Jordan Barnes, from Chaminade and CBC respectively. Both guys have been to multiple Billikens games. Neither has an offer.

Cook looks slimmed down. Hopefully he still has another couple of inches of growth in him.

Highlight video of Tyler Cook and Jordan Barnes, from Chaminade and CBC respectively. Both guys have been to multiple Billikens games. Neither has an offer.

Cook looks slimmed down. Hopefully he still has another couple of inches of growth in him.

I am interested to see how those two kids develop and what level of recruit they become. I am uncertain on both as to whether SLU should offer.

Barnes really runs a team well, but he is small and from the few times I have seen him does not appear to have the elite quickness/athleticism to make up for the lack of size.

Cook is incredibly heavy on his feet, but he shows flashes. I saw Chaminade play at CBC and in that game he had some really impressive post up moves, but often times he looks slow and limited from a skill standpoint. He is still growing into his body and has a strange build with a relatively thin upper body and then just a massive lower body, his legs are that of a 350 lb offensive lineman.