Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Jordan Barnes from CBC look?

I was really impressed by what I saw from Jordan Barnes. He is small (short and skinny, but obviously only a sophomore), but he can really play. As dlarry said he is really quick and has great handles. He also did a really nice job of quarterbacking the offense and played really poised. I think he hit one 3, but I don't remember him taking many shots from the perimeter beyond that, most of his damage was driving to the hoop. I really liked what I saw from him and am interested to see the level of the programs that get involved with him early.

The other guy that really caught my attention was their other sophomore guard Christian Willis. He looked real strong for a sophomore and was tough slashing to the basket. I also do not remember him shooting from the perimeter in the game, but he dominated for a short stretch in the 3rd quarter where Chaminade could not stop him from getting to the hoop, similar to like a Jett.

Chaminade has a nice sophomore guard in Mikey Lewis. He can really score the basketball. Like most sophomores he really needs to get stronger, but he may be another kid to keep an eye on from the MCC sophomore class.

Matt Nester did not impress me earlier in the week. He is playing the point for SLUH, but does not have the ability to handle that position when teams press. He has a really nice shot, so maybe as their freshmen guards develop he can move off the ball and be more effective there.

I was really impressed by what I saw from Jordan Barnes. He is small (short and skinny, but obviously only a sophomore), but he can really play. As dlarry said he is really quick and has great handles. He also did a really nice job of quarterbacking the offense and played really poised. I think he hit one 3, but I don't remember him taking many shots from the perimeter beyond that, most of his damage was driving to the hoop. I really liked what I saw from him and am interested to see the level of the programs that get involved with him early.

Matt Nester did not impress me earlier in the week. He is playing the point for SLUH, but does not have the ability to handle that position when teams press. He has a really nice shot, so maybe as their freshmen guards develop he can move off the ball and be more effective there.

I coached Jordan when he was in grade school and I know that he can really shoot it. So if he is scoring in other ways, that is a good sign for his future. All the attention of playing with Barnett during the high school year and Tatum during the summer should also be good for his recruiting stock. He already has an offer from SIUE, and if he can get a little bigger and improve his scoring I think he should definitely garner MVC offers with a ceiling of some BCS schools. He is a great kid and a REALLY hard worker. I hope SLU continues to look at him hard.

As for Nester, I have seen him play many times and truly do think he will be a good HS player. However, I think D1, at least mid-major D1, is a bit of a stretch at this point barring a growth spurt. He is a very similar player to Jimmy Barton from DeSmet when they were the same age.

I coached Jordan when he was in grade school and I know that he can really shoot it. So if he is scoring in other ways, that is a good sign for his future. All the attention of playing with Barnett during the high school year and Tatum during the summer should also be good for his recruiting stock. He already has an offer from SIUE, and if he can get a little bigger and improve his scoring I think he should definitely garner MVC offers with a ceiling of some BCS schools. He is a great kid and a REALLY hard worker. I hope SLU continues to look at him hard.

As for Nester, I have seen him play many times and truly do think he will be a good HS player. However, I think D1, at least mid-major D1, is a bit of a stretch at this point barring a growth spurt. He is a very similar player to Jimmy Barton from DeSmet when they were the same age.

I was not trying to imply that he could not shoot, he just did most of his damage penetrating and I only remember him taking one perimeter shot and it was a made 3. That is really encouraging to hear and makes me even more intrigued by his ability. Definitely a kid to keep an eye on.

That sounds like a good comparison for Nester. I did not see him as D1 player, but if he can grow and maybe move off the ball and become more of a pure shooter I think that may benefit him. I just don't think he has the ability to handle the point at a high level and in warm ups he was hitting everything.

To go into further detail, I don't think this is a final decision by any means, but it appears the goal is the NBA and I guess he thinks Kentucky gives him the best opportunity.

It is kinda sad if Calipari is convincing these kids that their "best opportunity" for the NBA is to go to Kentucky. If the one-and-done rule wasn't in place most of these kids could go straight to the NBA, no help from Cal/Kentucky at all. It likely doesn't matter where Tatum plays his one year in college. He will be in the NBA.

It is kinda sad if Calipari is convincing these kids that their "best opportunity" for the NBA is to go to Kentucky. If the one-and-done rule wasn't in place most of these kids could go straight to the NBA, no help from Cal/Kentucky at all. It likely doesn't matter where Tatum plays his one year in college. He will be in the NBA.

Absolutely he is selling that crap about "best opportunity." It's scary that so many kids buy it. If by "best opportunity" he means he is the best at setting up an environment where the kids get to do the bare minimum academically for one semester to stay eligible, then I guess he is probably correct.

The guy has had TWO NCAA Final Fours stripped from the record books at two different schools. Rather than being banned from coaching college ball, his reward is the highest paid, most high profile job in the game.

To go into further detail, I don't think this is a final decision by any means, but it appears the goal is the NBA and I guess he thinks Kentucky gives him the best opportunity.

I dont think Kentucky is the best opportunity if you want to be a one and done. He can go to Kentucky and battle for playing time with 7 other all Americans, then spkit time and shot attempts with the other All Americans.

Or he can go to any other school in the country start right away and average 20 a game.

Ive heard a lot more about Jabari Parker than any of the KY freshman.

I think going to a Duke, KU, or UNC type is a better way to improve your draft stock. Plus at those schools you will actually be coached up.

Didn't we have several guys post that it was "guaranteed" that Tatum was coming to SLU. I never believed it, but I just wonder those guys think about this new information.

Pretty sure that was all tongue in cheek. A lot of what is said on here is meant to be a joke, you just need to be able to figure out what is serious and what isn't.

Pretty sure that was all tongue in cheek. A lot of what is said on here is meant to be a joke, you just need to be able to figure out what is serious and what isn't.

What!?? You mean not everything I read on here is legit? Well, I'm just stunned to be finding this out. We MBMs rely on the insiders for good, reliable info. Must be more MBMs on here than I thought.

Decent source tells me Tatum will commit to Kentucky in the near future. You can pm me if you want to know the source

To clarify. Maybe not commit in the near future but his mind is close to being made up even if he doesn't make it public.

So the source told you he is going to commit, is not going to commit, has his mind pretty much made up, that he isn't close to a final decision........................ do I got that right?

To clarify. Maybe not commit in the near future but his mind is close to being made up even if he doesn't make it public.

My source just told me that his mind is absolutely made up on which college is he going to attend. However, this decision will not be made public yet. He has also made the decision to keep the decision to change his current decision on college.

My source just told me that his mind is absolutely made up on which college is he going to attend. However, this decision will not be made public yet. He has also made the decision to keep the decision to change his current decision on college.

So Jackie is your source?