Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What post? That a recruit was at our game?

I am not sure what his concern is, I can't imagine there is anything wrong with a recruit attending a game.

Tyler Cook is probably about 6'7 with a massive lower body. He had a really nice game against CBC on Friday night which included a number of impressive back to the basket post moves that resulted in layups at the rim. The one move had the crowd stunned and drew a reaction from Calipari. It was by far the best I have seen him play. He is more of the typical young big that is still growing into his body; real heavy on his feet, slow to react, etc.

As always, updates on all names are appreciated.

Xavier Bishop might be a name to add to the list. He is a point guard that plays with Larry Austin Jr. at Springfield Lanphier as well as AAU with the Eagles.

http://cihoops.com/?page_id=534

Recruiting (offers marked with “*”): Bradley, DePaul, Illinois-Chicago, Northern Kentucky, Oklahoma State, SIU-Edwardsville*, St. Louis

Scouting Report: A high level competitor that plays the game with great energy. Xavier displays great confidence with the ball in his hands. He’s a skilled ball handler that is very efficient using the pick and roll. He understands how and when to attack secondary defenders and has an array of crafty finishes from the midrange area and at the rim. He also has the ability to instincts to find cutters when attacking the rim. Bishop is a also high level shooter with deep range. Defensively, he is active and applies relentless pressure to ball handlers. He’s an elite level point guard that controls the pace of the game and scores the ball with ease.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice exchange on twitter. I believe Mckelvey is the a student manager for Oakville's team and buddies with Austin Gillmann. He is always tweeting about SLU and seems to be friends with the assistant coaches. I'm assuming he'll be going to SLU and will be a manager for SLU. Tatum favorited Mckelvey's tweet.

https://twitter.com/Frank_Cusumano/status/438789172518600704

Frank CusumanoVerified account@Frank_Cusumano16m

Stay tuned to hear and read what Jayson Tatum has to say about #SLU and #Mizzou pic.twitter.com/u68YgJt11j

I heard Cusumano on with Earl Austin the other day and he was really driving SLU being the leader for Jayson. Earl did his best to pull him back saying how tough it is to land top prospects over the blue bloods. I guess I would rather Frank be overly optimistic and continue to say why SLU would be a great choice than say we have no chance now that Calipari, Roy Williams, and Self are stopping in.

Honestly SLU makes a lot of sense for Tatum, as a Chaminade grad I just need some time with him and I think I can make the sell. I may need some help from Pistol though. He has the opportunity to be a legend in this town and still go onto be a NBA lottery pick after one season of college basketball.

I heard Cusumano on with Earl Austin the other day and he was really driving SLU being the leader for Jayson. Earl did his best to pull him back saying how tough it is to land top prospects over the blue bloods. I guess I would rather Frank be overly optimistic and continue to say why SLU would be a great choice than say we have no chance now that Calipari, Roy Williams, and Self are stopping in.

Honestly SLU makes a lot of sense for Tatum, as a Chaminade grad I just need some time with him and I think I can make the sell. I may need some help from Pistol though. He has the opportunity to be a legend in this town and still go onto be a NBA lottery pick after one season of college basketball.

-I heard Frank and Earl discussing also, Frank was trying really hard to plug SLU, his arguments made a lot of sense through my blue colored lenses, FBJT!!!!!

-I heard Frank and Earl discussing also, Frank was trying really hard to plug SLU, his arguments made a lot of sense through my blue colored lenses, FBJT!!!!!

Why be just another guy in a long list of 5 star recruits and NBA players at Kentucky, Kansas, or North Carolina. Stay home and make yourself a legend. It won't hurt your draft stock at all (one could argue it could help it since he will be the go to player) and your family, friends, and St. Louis will pack the house to watch you play every night. And as Joakim Noah would say, all the ******* you want!!!

Why be just another guy in a long list of 5 star recruits and NBA players at Kentucky, Kansas, or North Carolina. Stay home and make yourself a legend. It won't hurt your draft stock at all (one could argue it could help it since he will be the go to player) and your family, friends, and St. Louis will pack the house to watch you play every night. And as Joakim Noah would say, "all the ******* we want!!!"

It helped his godfather's stock.

Why be just another guy in a long list of 5 star recruits and NBA players at Kentucky, Kansas, or North Carolina. Stay home and make yourself a legend. It won't hurt your draft stock at all (one could argue it could help it since he will be the go to player) and your family, friends, and St. Louis will pack the house to watch you play every night. And as Joakim Noah would say, all the ******* you want!!!

I always get a kick out of when the announcers say something like John Calipari "develops" NBA players... huh? :blink:

I always get a kick out of when the announcers say something like John Calipari "develops" NBA players... huh? :blink:

Right, he gives kids that under different rules would already be playing in the NBA a place to play for a season (and not worry about anything else) and somehow gets credit for developing them.

Terrence Jones

Demarcus Cousins

Patrick Patterson

John Wall

Marquis Teague

Brandon Knight

Michael Kidd Gilchrist

Anthony Davis

Archie Goodwin

Eric Bledsoe

Daniel Orton

Nerlens Noel

All have been drafted in the first round from Kentucky.

Darius Miller

Deandre Liggins

Josh Harrelson

Doron Lamb

All have been drafted in the second round and are from Kentucky. Some of these guys didn't even score double digits while at UK.

Now I know that correlation does not equal causation. But as far as college basketball coaches go, Cal has about as convincing a case as anyone when it comes to offering a track record of getting guys in the NBA. Would I want Cal to coach my favorite team or would I want my son to play for him? Probably not. But if Tatum went there I would be confident that he would be drafted and drafted high.

Scott Highmark has had a real opportunity to talk on TV; we could use another kid that could play well for us; play professionally and come back to do sports or run for mayor not that we need to follow the Detroit model. If Tatum's kid can talk he can make a name for himself-Monroe Doughlas played for 4 years for SLU and made an immediate living selling cars-now a days kids have opportunities to keep playing as well. I thought Bonner could have made it to the Billiken bench as an assistant but that seems to have passed. At least Danny Brown is getting a chance here and we have a couple of really good high school coaches from the program-that all matters.

Well no ######, NH. He'll be drafted and drafted high no matter where he goes. That's the point

But Calipari can prove that more than any other coach can. That's my whole point.

Love to hear the Frank C. news. Hope we keep winning and Jayson keeps an open mind. He has said that he will probably attend the same school as fellow 2016 recruit Harry Giles, but those types of deals can be fickle. Conversely, I hope he's best friends with Tyler Cook, a guy it seems like the Billikens may be in the lead on.