Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no better authority on what SLU needs to do to recruit local high school talent than Justin Tatum. Think about it. He was a local high school recruit who went through the recruiting process and chose SLU. He is a high school coach of a very talented program full of Division 1 recruits. He is a parent of high level recruit that SLU is after.

Justin has experienced the recruiting process, and specifically SLU recruiting, from every pertinent angle. You could argue that he may be one of the best authorities on what players, parents, and high school coaches consider when going through recruitment. The coaching staff should take everything he says to heart. Heck, they should ask Justin to give the staff a seminar on local recruiting. If Justin says that our coaches are not attending enough practices and games, then they should attend more. I don't care if we don't think we have a shot at a kid. Show up and show his teammates and coach that we're fighting for that kid. Even if the kid goes to Florida or Kentucky, at least we send a message to other kids that we're in the game.

Also, if Justin, should he be made an assistant coach for the Billikens, would bring his son and several other very talented local players to SLU over the next few years, Coach Crews needs to make that move. We've had and have guys with connections in Australia, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc. Maybe its time to get someone with a recruiting connection in St. Louis.

This. I think many people originally doubted Justin Tatum's coaching abilities and were legitimately questioning the idea of bringing him on to the coaching staff last year. It seems as though he has really honed his coaching skills and appears ready to take his coaching career to the next level. What better way than to stay at home with SLU. Crews and May really need to explore taking Tatum in as an assistant. Even if it didn't help land his son, it would still help land other locals, not to mention his coaching abilities as a whole would help continue the overall development of our players and program.

I don't have any knowledge on Justin Tatum's coaching/recruiting ability, but my hesitation with adding him to the coaching staff now - particularly if we bring in Jayson, a recruit significantly above the level of the typical SLU recruit - is that it creates an appearance of impropriety. And, particularly since the dude is already in our camp, I'm not sure how much there is to gain from it (relative to the potential cost), at least at this point in time.

I don't have any knowledge on Justin Tatum's coaching/recruiting ability, but my hesitation with adding him to the coaching staff now - particularly if we bring in Jayson, a recruit significantly above the level of the typical SLU recruit - is that it creates an appearance of impropriety. And, particularly since the dude is already in our camp, I'm not sure how much there is to gain from it (relative to the potential cost), at least at this point in time.

Memphis did it with DeJuan Wagner (similarly rated to FBJT). I guess I see the point you're making...but what does that appearance (impropriety) cost?

Not long ago, I would have posted a multi-paragraph essay about how I don't care what it looks like...but Jared Drew and the backlash have a way of changing opinions.

I honestly didn't think it was possible to win big as a "clean" program, hence my attitude to go ahead and do what it takes.

We can win clean...and it's fun.

How do we know what programs are and are not clean? Would we know if SLU was funneling cash to Jayson Tatum's family or if the guys on our team were less than honorable men?

How do we know what programs are and are not clean. Would we know if SLU was funneling cash to Jayson Tatum's family?

You're right, we don't always know.

I grew up watching Tarkanian. He was the poster child for "whatever it takes".

You're right, we don't always know.

I grew up watching Tarkanian. He was the poster child for "whatever it takes".

I guess I really don't even care if we were a "dirty" program with the understanding that a lot of programs are. I am assuming a program like Duke goes outside of the rules, but nobody really knows that to be the case.

What types of schools were recruiting Justin (apart from some type of package deal with Larry if that existed?) Just curious.

Don't remember the schools, but Justin was a highly rated prospect on his own coming out of CBC.

Don't remember the schools, but Justin was a highly rated prospect on his own coming out of CBC.

Before there was the Internet and ridiculous amounts of coverage of recruiting, so it may be hard to find that out. He was a beast in high school though, so I am assuming he had his share of options regardless of his relationship to Larry.

Memphis did it with DeJuan Wagner (similarly rated to FBJT). I guess I see the point you're making...but what does that appearance (impropriety) cost?

Not long ago, I would have posted a multi-paragraph essay about how I don't care what it looks like...but Jared Drew and the backlash have a way of changing opinions.

KU did it with Manning. I also think Pitino's pulled this gambit as well, but may have him confused w/ Calipari and Wagner. That Director of Basketball Operations position is a pretty popular spot in which to slide in a family member. Hey, don't we have an opening for a video guy? Just a thought. Seriously, I'd just as soon we steer clear of these antics.

What's better for Jayson, or does it even make a difference, as for his position in the NBA draft?

1.) He's the big frog in the little pond w/ some impressive numbers, eg the Legend?

2.) He's surrounded by future NBA'ers but his numbers decrease because they only play with one ball, eg Beals?

Wonder how scouts look at this in addition to his athleticism, character and skill level. Or is JT the caliber of a Parker and Randall who will he be the star wherever he goes regardless of his supporting cast?

I guess I really don't even care if we were a "dirty" program with the understanding that a lot of programs are. I am assuming a program like Duke goes outside of the rules, but nobody really knows that to be the case.

At least from what I can tell/have been told, cheating isn't quite as widespread (at least from an institutional standpoint) as many believe it to be. And a lot of it depends on the particular recruit, too: often, schools won't initiate it, but once a recruit (or, more likely, his "handlers") makes it clear he's going to follow the money/shoes/electronics/etc., then schools will be more inclined to play ball. Of course, some schools will initiate (UCLA under Howland was particularly bad about this. And, of course, Kentucky - generally via World Wide Wes - did its fair share of initiating, too).

It happens with a handful of recruits every year (I can think of a few in Tatum's class already), but it definitely isn't across the board. And a number of schools (including Duke) take a hardline stance against institutional cheating. Though, of course, no matter what a school does, it can't completely stop kids from using their status/future NBA earnings to break the rules. But I think that's a much different case then, say, an agent (with the permission - or even encouragement - of a coach) putting a catalog of in front of a kid and telling him to point to whatever he wants.

While this is only speculation, it seems the Mickey D types from St.L had their sights set a lot higher than SLU. Of course some of those we're not in the Fetz era, so we were selling used Pintos while the BCS'ers were selling Corvettes. Do recall that Romar put an all out blitz for WC kids, but UB seemed a little more zeroed in on locals. RM, it seemed, would express interest, but if the kid didn't respond in kind, he'd move on to plan B quickly. Whereas, UB would ask his plan B's to wait for an offer, while he waited for the 5 star to make his decision, ie Grimes and Shaw. This didn't work well for him as he didn't land the high flyers, save for Lidell and Lisch, and ended up hustling for Plan D types just to fill the roster. Hopefully, JC turns this around and we get a few local stars to stay home.

much I want local kids, not recruiting those two at the level our program was then was a good use of energy. No way were we gonna be in the running. Gilligan's of the world wasting time courting the Ginger's out there look pathetic at best. Most people have a fair idea what their handicap is in on the course in the courting game.

much I want local kids, not recruiting those two at the level our program was then was a good use of energy. No way were we gonna be in the running. Gilligan's of the world wasting time courting the Ginger's out there look pathetic at best. Most people have a fair idea what their handicap is in on the course in the courting game.

I think you make a David Lee or Brad Beal turn you down. It's not like you're using a lot of time and resources to do it.

Quinn Snyder knows.

What types of schools were recruiting Justin (apart from some type of package deal with Larry if that existed?) Just curious.

From the 99-00 media guide Justin was also recruited by Minnesota, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and Cincinnati. if I remember correctly Tatum verballed with us before Larry did. His academics were all up in the air. It was no secret, that held off offers from a lot of schools.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are NCAA rules that we would be violating if we made Justin an AC and then signed Jayson. In addition to the above examples, I remember Julian Winfield's dad becoming an AC at Mizzou for his years there. When someone says they don't want us to by "dirty," I assume they mean breaking NCAA rules. There are enough crazy NCAA recruiting rules out there to worry about, that we really shouldn't be worried about "rules" that are not even in the books.

Tatum's blog on current AAU season

"I definitely noticed the coaches on the sidelines during my games. I saw Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, St. Louis, Syracuse, Michigan State, Michigan, Illinois, UConn and a couple of other schools too."

That's good to hear that he's noticing SLU in the context of what Justin said.