Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ash will be a future star not a future depth player....you're both annoying and wrong

No need to be a ****** about it. There's no guarantee he will be a future star and even if he is that still helps depth.

The important thing is that we did not stop the party. Neighsayers wanted us to shut this thread down because everyone gave a detailed description of every class they took at SLU like there was something wrong with that but we kept on. We didn't give up we never stopped that Party.

Great class by Coach Crews. He was not the sexy choice and oh so many of you guys just knew he wouldn't be able to recruit. Oh so many of you guys said he needed to go out and hire a flashy assistant or we were toast. Well what say you now? On the court it still must be proven but I think that we can say this class in recruiting ratings/expectations has exceeded just about every other class I can think of.

A Bomb. First of all, I am as excited about these Spring as you are. Second, like you, I am a Billiken fan who wants us to succeed no matter who the head coach is. Third, I am pleased with what Crews has done this Spring and, I admit it, am a little surprised he has done as well as he has. Fourth, it is way too early (good or bad) to judge both this recruiting class and how Jim Crews is as our head coach, though again, I admit that it is so far so good. Fifth, those of us who wanted a different head coach did NOT base the same solely on Jim Crew's ability to recruit or not -- instead, I based my thoughts on the full track record of Jim Crews. Sixth, I wanted another "home run" hire, and never wanted a "flashy assistant. Also, I do believe, had we done so we'd also be pleased with the results to date as well. Would we be better off or worse off? who knows. Seventh, I put aside my opinions about who our head coach should be, have rallied behind Jim Crews and believe that ALL Billiken fans should do the same. Attempts to divide the few but loyal Billiken fans is counter-productive.

Believe me or not, I have an insider or two with Nova. First, my dear high school friend who went to Nova and has been a season ticket holder since 1979 (coincidence with my sign in name? I think not). Second, one of the current Wright staffers is a son of another high school classmate, who in turn has been a Nova season ticket holder since the same time. While I doubt a current staffer will be forthcoming, I KNOW the other will. I have asked him his opinion before and now again. When I get it, I will post verbatim what his report says.

When the AY transfer went down, my source told me that Wright is much like a coach we once shared --- one who, for whatever reason, puts a kid in his doghouse, never to escape or be seen again, This was AY for the 2012-13 Wildcats. Despite the fact he was their toughest guard and played well when out there. He believed the kid was a "good" transfer and would be a great get for anyone. He didn't want him going to Pitt while they were all in the old Big East. He rooted for his Catholic brothers at SLU.

When he answers me, I'll pass it along.

I put forth with this recruiting class we have made a step to the proverbial next level if we make dance for third time and this class helps and look at least as good as the seniors did their first year. What JC had for recruiting was the likeliness of us being good already. As long as a team has that recruiting becomes easier. Hope in 5 years we will be lumped in with X, Zags, Butler, etc.

I love how aggressive this staff is being with targeting and offering kids.

I suspect it is no different than years past. Just that we are hearing about it more, most likely because of the growing use of twitter

Believe me or not, I have an insider or two with Nova. First, my dear high school friend who went to Nova and has been a season ticket holder since 1979 (coincidence with my sign in name? I think not). Second, one of the current Wright staffers is a son of another high school classmate, who in turn has been a Nova season ticket holder since the same time. While I doubt a current staffer will be forthcoming, I KNOW the other will. I have asked him his opinion before and now again. When I get it, I will post verbatim what his report says.

When the AY transfer went down, my source told me that Wright is much like a coach we once shared --- one who, for whatever reason, puts a kid in his doghouse, never to escape or be seen again, This was AY for the 2012-13 Wildcats. Despite the fact he was their toughest guard and played well when out there. He believed the kid was a "good" transfer and would be a great get for anyone. He didn't want him going to Pitt while they were all in the old Big East. He rooted for his Catholic brothers at SLU.

When he answers me, I'll pass it along.

A long time Nova alumni and huge hoops fan that I know said about the same thing... and that a lot of Nova fans are a bit frustrated with coach Wright; the team was erratic last yr.

My friend thinks AY will do well.

There's always a basketful of reasons why a coach benches a player. Nova simply may have had better options, but my guess is a conflict of personalities due to lack of playing time. Nothing like a fresh start to fix the blues. He comes here and works his butt off, we'll all be happy Billikens. Let's not look for negatives at this point.

Not looking for negatives. Was simply curious.

Bye bye RO. Fun while it lasted.

Yep. To be honest, I think SLU moved on from RO a while ago. That has been insinuated by some already within this thread, and from what I've heard over the weekend, that appears to be the case. Don't think we'll see RO grabbing that last scholly. I think SLU will either let it carry over into 2014 (where they seem to have a lot of irons in the fire) or maybe scour the transfer market some more and help bring some experience to that 2014 squad (as it will definitely be needed.)

I don't think RO ever had a solid offer from SLU to accept.

I don't think this is true. SLU made a home visit after offering, once it was clear there was competition for him. He appeared to be a higher priority than Strawberry or Saintil, and when that became clear, they started heading toward the prep school route. After that is when it becomes murkier- did SLU back off first? Were academics an issue? Did Onwuasor back off SLU, waiting to see who else would get involved (i.e. LSU and Texas Tech)? I'd be curious to know more but it doesn't look like SLU will be his choice when he announces his decision this week.

My guess is that SLU will fill the last spot with another transfer later this summer. I'll be curious to see whether the staff goes after a PG for that slot or just the best player available to them.

My guess is that SLU will fill the last spot with another transfer later this summer. I'll be curious to see whether the staff goes after a PG for that slot or just the best player available to them.

It is a great year to take multiple transfers. The rotation is fairly set already, but they lose a lot after next year. Transfers will do a good job to balance out the classes a bit more.

I don't know of many BCS level transfers out there at this point. Brian Greene from Auburn and Myke Henry from UIUC are the only localish transfers I can think of...

to brianstl's comment ----- I agree with Pistol. When the trail of RO started, he was just one of four supposed PG's on the list -- him, Starwberry, Saintil and Knight. Right after his entry into our sweepstakes, DK went away pretty fast to Illinois State. And despite visiting us and having a local connection with Dad in the area, so too did JS. That left HS and RO and all of a sudden, HS is going prep school ala JS. Plus the home visit to RO noted above by Pistol.

I can't say like larry72 that RO became a diva, but it would seem to be believable. RO started with just us and Cal State Fullerton on his list. Then we heard Pitt was in play. Yet Pitt was never listed in connection with RO. Then LSU comes into play. That makes his list per verbalcommits. Then he's off to Tennessee and now Texas Tech. Half of me is hoping we cut bait with this kid if he's stringing us along; the other half of me questins if it is indeed an SAT/eligibility thing. Another half of me says junk him if he's not "into" being a Billiken; the other half says every kid should explore all possibilities before making said decision.

Whatever. Two 50/50 choices here.

Wherever he ends up going, I think he's going to be a good player. He's got a huge upper body frame for an 18-year-old PG, long arms. He scores in a few different ways and isn't afraid to drive in traffic. It's a shame it doesn't look like it will work out, whatever the real reason.

Some posters have been intimating the last scholly might be a foreign player. They've kept saying wait until July, which might indicate this foreign agent might have some eligibility issues that won't be cleared up until the summer. I'd place the odds at 50-50, ie either it will happen or it won't.

As for RO, I agree w/ Pistol he looks like a good D1 prospect, especially w/ his size. But recently, have had a nagging feeling that if he did sign here he might well pull a Carter or a Cotto on us if his every need isn't being met by the staff. We don't need anymore players whose egos interfere w/ team chemistry. Plus, after spending a winter in damp and grey skies St. Louis, his theme song might become, California Dreaming.