Recruiting - 2013

Question: If MM or JJ has an injury that puts them out for part of the season, who runs the point when the other one is getting a rest, or in foul trouble?

I am very happy with this recruiting class. Crews and the coaching staff came through on the primary concern that many of us had. However, the above questions still bothers me. Am I forgetting someone? Can MC handle the ball at point? Are we confident enought in JB to take this responsibility?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: If MM or JJ has an injury that puts them out for part of the season, who runs the point when the other one is getting a rest, or in foul trouble?

I am very happy with this recruiting class. Crews and the coaching staff came through on the primary concern that many of us had. However, the above questions still bothers me. Am I forgetting someone? Can MC handle the ball at point? Are we confident enought in JB to take this responsibility?

Austin McBroom

Austin McBroom

McBroom will likely bring the ball up quite a bit this season, no? I'd imagine he's going to see a lot more time than JJ there, even with everyone healthy.

The 2014-2015 season is when PG depth becomes a concern.

McBroom will likely bring the ball up quite a bit this season, no? I'd imagine he's going to see a lot more time than JJ there, even with everyone healthy.

The 2014-2015 season is when PG depth becomes a concern.

McBroom is the fastest guy on the team and from what I've been told the best jump shooter.

McBroom is the fastest guy on the team and from what I've been told the best jump shooter.

Yeah, so we're fine at guard this season. I'm just wondering if we seek a PG for the last scholarship this season or take the best transfer available and worry about another PG in the 2014 class.

Yeah, so we're fine at guard this season. I'm just wondering if we seek a PG for the last scholarship this season or take the best transfer available and worry about another PG in the 2014 class.

I'd feel better if we add another pg this year. Carter was the plan and it went up in smoke. We've been relatively lucky w/injuries, but to be on the safe side it would be nice to have another backup. But maybe JC thinks Duff's enough insurance there.

I have no personal info on Duff but I would point out that any high school coach can nominate any player for the McDonald's game/All American status - to be nominated really means very little - now being picked is another thing all together.

It appears unlikely that we would lose 3 pgs to injury - although anything can happen - so those who say we are OK this year are probably right. However at this point if one of our guards gets hurt then our only back up is Jake B and that would bother me if it had to happen for a long time.

As far as taking a pg or the best available transfer at any position goes - would that not have something to do with who we are recruiting in 2014? - if you have a good chance at landing 3 PFs then why take a PF transfer. I would also think that it would depend on just who and how great the transfer might be. My money is on a pg but I could see it going the other way also.

Here is what I believe to be a plausible explanation:

- He comes on the visit. It goes OK but not great as he doesn't wow us. However, at the time we have only filled two schollys (Crawford and Reggie) and we need bodies as we know Drew will be opening up soon. Some transfers like the Indiana kid aren't even available yet.

- We go out to California to visit him (and maybe Tanner at the same time). We tell him that we need an answer soon, otherwise we need to move on. He won't commit at that point and starts the process of visiting Miami OH, Tenn Tech, LSU, etc.

- We no longer recruit him at that point but we never state that (we never state anything about recruiting) and Randy O doesn't want to tweet that.

- This board interprets silence as continued interest, when in reality we haven't been recruiting him for over a month.

That's my take.

It is speculation of course but that is my take as well.

We could use a PG but lets not go after one unless he has KM-MM-JJ type potential.

In a sense, I regard Yacoubou as a replacement for Carter. Carter is more of a 1 than AY, but I think our newest Billiken complements McBroom better than Carter. Pairing McBroom with Yacoubou for two years seems like a nice combo of little guard & big guard.

There is no reason to panic about not having other guards lined up yet for 2014. We got MM and JJ in the same class BEFORE we had back-to-back NCAA Tourney appearances. No reason to think we can't land two guards of that caliber in the class of 2014 to round out the backcourt.

With this last scholarship, I actually think we could use help at the 3 for 2013. With the departure of Evans, Barnett and Drew, I would like to see us land a quality transfer at small forward.

It seems to me that the way smaller schools stay successful on continued basis is to get to a point where the majority of starters minutes are played by upperclassmen with frosh and sophs getting back up minutes. I don't want to go into 14 with Ash, McBroom, and Crawford as our only guards with any experience at all. It's not an ideal situation in my mind

It seems to me that the way smaller schools stay successful on continued basis is to get to a point where the majority of starters minutes are played by upperclassmen with frosh and sophs getting back up minutes. I don't want to go into 14 with Ash, McBroom, and Crawford as our only guards with any experience at all. It's not an ideal situation in my mind

Skip, I'm not sure I see a way around that situation. I've always felt the 2014-15 season was going to be a rebuilding year but after this spring recruiting I'm hopeful its more of an NIT type rebuilding than a just go .500 rebuilding.

Based on the 5 guys graduating next year and 2 more bigs as juniors, there are 7 guys that we expect to get significant minutes this season. None will be available to play the guard spots in 2014-15. If our lineup only goes 9 deep this season (like it did this past one) the best case scenario for your guard experience desire is for McBroom and Crawford to be 8 and 9. Honestly, I don't expect that either as I expect either Reggie or Tanner to be number 9 and for Crawford to largely be a mop up minutes guy his first year.

The minutes simply aren't there for another freshman to contribute minutes at the guard position next year unless we get injuries. Thus, in my mind it seems to argue for ANOTHER guard transfer if possible. It would fulfill your desire for additional experience while being realistic about the number of minutes that are available given the seniority of this team.

What would be wrong Ash, McBroom and Crawford as the core of our backcourt and adding two good freshmen guards (think about JJ and MM as freshmen) as our back-ups.

Guard rotation this year and I'm counting the 3 and DE as a guard

MM, JJ, DE, JB, AM, MC ... am I missing anyone?

I won't be surprised to see McBroom getting a good 20 minutes a game from everything I've heard.

Going into '14 that leaves AM as having major minutes. Ash as having practiced a year and played 2 years in the Big East (I'll count that as experienced. It then leaves our 3rd guard MC as not having a lot of experience. I'd prefer the 4th guard to have at least practiced a year, maybe a transfer with some experience who possibly moves MC to 4th guard. Maybe a guy who redshirts to keep a year of eligibility. IF we don't get a guy on the roster this year at least practicing we'll go into '14 with Ash, AM, plus MC who hasn't played alot and 2 true freshamen in the normal rotation

What would be wrong Ash, McBroom and Crawford as the core of our backcourt and adding two good freshmen guards (think about JJ and MM as freshmen) as our back-ups.

nothing assuming they are all legit A-10 starter level players. at this point you dont know if any of the three will measure up. we think they will, but there is nothing there to bank on at this point. a year from now we probably know.

Guard rotation this year and I'm counting the 3 and DE as a guard

MM, JJ, DE, JB, AM, MC ... am I missing anyone?

I won't be surprised to see McBroom getting a good 20 minutes a game from everything I've heard.

Going into '14 that leaves AM as having major minutes. Ash as having practiced a year and played 2 years in the Big East (I'll count that as experienced. It then leaves our 3rd guard MC as not having a lot of experience. I'd prefer the 4th guard to have at least practiced a year, maybe a transfer with some experience who possibly moves MC to 4th guard. Maybe a guy who redshirts to keep a year of eligibility. IF we don't get a guy on the roster this year at least practicing we'll go into '14 with Ash, AM, plus MC who hasn't played alot and 2 true freshamen in the normal rotation

skip the only thing i hate about skip is the darn initial system to post you started. my gosh i have no idea what you are talking about above without a billiken initial decoder ring. way too much work to digest. so i will just trust you have it right but i dont know what you said.

Wow. You're way behind the curve. Most posters have much more they hate.

I don't get the problem with the initial's. We're talking about Billiken guards. The initials are generally the 1st letters of their first and last names. At least that is the way I learned it. I didn't go to college though, so I may have it wrong.

AM - Austin McBroom

DE - Dwayne Evans

MM- Mike McCall

MC - Mike Crawford

JJ - Jordair Jett

etc...

I just assume most posters know the players names ... figuring out the initials wouldn't be that difficult.

For 5 easy payments of $19.99 each, I can get you a decoder ring. If you order in the next 15 minutes, you will also get the easy on/off lubricant. Mention this post and I'll slash one payment off for you giving you just 4 easy payments

Isn't MC our likely candidate for the 3 position at 6'5" or 6'6"? I know there was some talk he was listed as taller than he really is, but in the videos we've seen of him, he strikes me as a DE type. Not saying he's DE yet, but the 3 seems more of a fit than the 2. Please correct me if my thinking's wrong on MC. I think this kid's going to surprise us just like DE did. And if Dr. B's out there, your comments on MC are appreciated since you were so right on saying we were over looking DE's potential 4 years ago.

skip the only thing i hate about skip is the darn initial system to post you started. my gosh i have no idea what you are talking about above without a billiken initial decoder ring. way too much work to digest. so i will just trust you have it right but i dont know what you said.

Or ... you could just correctly assume if I post it ... it's fact.

Skip, I'm not sure I see a way around that situation. I've always felt the 2014-15 season was going to be a rebuilding year but after this spring recruiting I'm hopeful its more of an NIT type rebuilding than a just go .500 rebuilding.

Based on the 5 guys graduating next year and 2 more bigs as juniors, there are 7 guys that we expect to get significant minutes this season. None will be available to play the guard spots in 2014-15. If our lineup only goes 9 deep this season (like it did this past one) the best case scenario for your guard experience desire is for McBroom and Crawford to be 8 and 9. Honestly, I don't expect that either as I expect either Reggie or Tanner to be number 9 and for Crawford to largely be a mop up minutes guy his first year.

The minutes simply aren't there for another freshman to contribute minutes at the guard position next year unless we get injuries. Thus, in my mind it seems to argue for ANOTHER guard transfer if possible. It would fulfill your desire for additional experience while being realistic about the number of minutes that are available given the seniority of this team.

when I asked one of the coaches about recruits we still had not signed AY; then I said do we go with an 8 or 9 rotation? He replied we are designed for

nine not eight.