Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He dominates inside because he plays the 3 and our 4 generally plays away giving him more space. He's a 3, whether you call that a guard or a small forward is just semantics. I find the lack of basic understanding of the game by many to be silly also.

agreed, he's a true 3, generally referred to as the small forward. when we went small with 3 actual guards (MM, JJ, KM, JB, etc.), DE played the 4, generally referred to as the power forward. I can't remember the last time DE was on the court as our 2, generally referred to as the shooting guard, because that's not a position he plays. I find the lack of basic understanding between the words guard and forward to be.........

Guard rotation this year and I'm counting the 3 and DE as a guard

MM, JJ, DE, JB, AM, MC ... am I missing anyone?

I won't be surprised to see McBroom getting a good 20 minutes a game from everything I've heard.

Going into '14 that leaves AM as having major minutes. Ash as having practiced a year and played 2 years in the Big East (I'll count that as experienced. It then leaves our 3rd guard MC as not having a lot of experience. I'd prefer the 4th guard to have at least practiced a year, maybe a transfer with some experience who possibly moves MC to 4th guard. Maybe a guy who redshirts to keep a year of eligibility. IF we don't get a guy on the roster this year at least practicing we'll go into '14 with Ash, AM, plus MC who hasn't played alot and 2 true freshamen in the normal rotation

If AM's as good as advertised, I wouldn't be surprised if JC doesn't use JJ just like he did last year, off the bench to provide a spark and up the tempo a bit.

agreed, he's a true 3, generally referred to as the small forward. when we went small with 3 actual guards (MM, JJ, KM, JB, etc.), DE played the 4, generally referred to as the power forward. I can't remember the last time DE was on the court as our 2, generally referred to as the shooting guard, because that's not a position he plays. I find the lack of basic understanding between the words guard and forward to be.........

Did you not read that I specifically mentioned I was counting the 3 and DE as a guard. I would agree he's a small forward. I rarely use the terms and generally use 1, 2, 3, etc... and have always referred to DE as a 3. I was counting him as a guard for the conversation of seperating bigs from guards. I don't think he's ever been on the court as a 2 for us and rarely as a 4. Small forward though and big or 3 guard have generally become the same thing in basketball. I really couldn't care less if you agree or disagree as we are actually saying the same thing, you just want to make an issue of the term guard or forward for the 3. I could find you as many knowledgeable basketball people who refer to the 3 as a guard as you could find who refer to it as a small forward. I'm done with this

Isn't MC our likely candidate for the 3 position at 6'5" or 6'6"? I know there was some talk he was listed as taller than he really is, but in the videos we've seen of him, he strikes me as a DE type. Not saying he's DE yet, but the 3 seems more of a fit than the 2. Please correct me if my thinking's wrong on MC. I think this kid's going to surprise us just like DE did. And if Dr. B's out there, your comments on MC are appreciated since you were so right on saying we were over looking DE's potential 4 years ago.

Fair question - I have seen MC listed as 6'3" - 6'6" - at this point I have no idea how tall he is or what position he would actually play - if he ends up like JB then he has no position and may be nothing special. I agree - I do not see DE as a guard - I know he has brought the ball done in a pinch but that is not really an effective use of him on a consistent basis. Until DE actually shows a willingness to take a perimeter shot once in a great while then he is not a guard in any shape or form to me.

With 6 scholarships to give over the next year or so (one still left for 2013-14), here is ideally how I would like to see it play out. Land a quality transfer this summer at the 3 who will be ready for 2014. Then, with the other five, it would be nice to get a 1, 2, 3 & a big in the fall. I would keep one scholarship open for the spring of 2014 - we would have a better idea of our needs. Might need a juco depending on how the roster is taking shape or if the roster is looking strong, go for a transfer to sit out 2014-15.

I like the way the roster is taking shape and hopefully we can get a couple of class of 2014 commits late this summer. More importantly, this thread could easliy approach 400 by the end of summer depending on how recruiting is going.

Did you not read that I specifically mentioned I was counting the 3 and DE as a guard. I would agree he's a small forward. I rarely use the terms and generally use 1, 2, 3, etc... and have always referred to DE as a 3. I was counting him as a guard for the conversation of seperating bigs from guards. I don't think he's ever been on the court as a 2 for us and rarely as a 4. Small forward though and big or 3 guard have generally become the same thing in basketball. I really couldn't care less if you agree or disagree as we are actually saying the same thing, you just want to make an issue of the term guard or forward for the 3. I could find you as many knowledgeable basketball people who refer to the 3 as a guard as you could find who refer to it as a small forward. I'm done with this

actually, I was just disagreeing with your crux that DE should be separated from the bigs and included among our guards. I think he's a "big" as most of what he does on the court is in that regard.. and actually he's the best "big" that we have, albeit from the 3 position. if you're calling him a guard just because you personally deem all 3's as guards.. well then sure, I guess. this is kind of fun.

actually, I was just disagreeing with your crux that DE should be separated from the bigs and included among our guards. I think he's a "big" as most of what he does on the court is in that regard.. and actually he's the best "big" that we have, albeit from the 3 position. if you're calling him a guard just because you personally deem all 3's as guards.. well then sure, I guess. this is kind of fun.

My bad, I also listed Cody as a big last year when clearly he would have been listed with the guards as he did the majority of his work away from the basket.

agree again. CE and RL are bigs ("forwards") as well. Also, big fan of the initial system.

Now I'm confused. How could Cody have been a big? Didn't he do most of his work away from the basket? Without looking it up I'd guess he had at least as many 3 point shots as he had 2's. Wouldn't this make him a guard?

Now I'm confused. How could Cody have been a big? Didn't he do most of his work away from the basket? Without looking it up I'd guess he had at least as many 3 point shots as he had 2's. Wouldn't this make him a guard?

Skip, I know you no longer have season tickets so maybe you haven't watched many games but DE should not be included with the guards

there is actually a breed of forward or big who do most of their work away from the basket. they are sometimes referred to as "euro-bigs". I think TL*, may also play this style. so no, that would not make him a guard, in my opinion.

*the incoming freshman

also, it appears you have some work to do over in this thread as well http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24385

I really appreciate the RM system. Unorthodox and adept at creating mismatches. If we can't even figure out something as simple as labeling what positions our players play, just imagine how tough it is for opposing coaches to figure out how to stop us.

Skip, I know you no longer have season tickets so maybe you haven't watched many games but DE should not be included with the guards

I've watched plenty of games and I know this will come accross wrong, but I'll stick with the way I see it, I have a pretty good handle on the game.

IF DE is considered a big because he does his scoring inside, Cody would obviously be considered a guard as he does his scoring from beyond the arc.

there is actually a breed of forward or big who do most of their work away from the basket. they are sometimes referred to as "euro-bigs". I think TL*, may also play this style. so no, that would not make him a guard, in my opinion.

*the incoming freshman

also, it appears you have some work to do over in this thread as well http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24385

Gosh you can see how I could be so confused. DE does his work inside so he must be considered a big. Now Cody who does his work beyond the arc ... still wouldn't be a guard because where you do the work isn't the deciding factor in this instance, it's really only the deciding factor when it fits how you see it. Cody is a Euro big. I get it. Thanks so much for the help

With 6 scholarships to give over the next year or so (one still left for 2013-14), here is ideally how I would like to see it play out. Land a quality transfer this summer at the 3 who will be ready for 2014. Then, with the other five, it would be nice to get a 1, 2, 3 & a big in the fall. I would keep one scholarship open for the spring of 2014 - we would have a better idea of our needs. Might need a juco depending on how the roster is taking shape or if the roster is looking strong, go for a transfer to sit out 2014-15.

I like the way the roster is taking shape and hopefully we can get a couple of class of 2014 commits late this summer. More importantly, this thread could easliy approach 400 by the end of summer depending on how recruiting is going.

I'd be happy landing a quality transfer this summer at any position, but all things being relatively equal between the players, I would target a pg before a 3.

Gosh you can see how I could be so confused. DE does his work inside so he must be considered a big. Now Cody who does his work beyond the arc ... still wouldn't be a guard because where you do the work isn't the deciding factor in this instance, it's really only the deciding factor when it fits how you see it. Cody is a Euro big. I get it. Thanks so much for the help

Correct, it is the deciding factor where I see fit, as it is my personal opinion. What part of DE's game resembles that of a guard, exactly?

edit: is it time for me to reference when you said you were done with this 5 posts ago... man that is such a message board cliche

Also DE defends the oposing 3 in most cases and on many teams that's a guard as many teams use true 3 guard line-ups. Rarely would he guard an oposing big or does an oponent have a 3 that many would classify as a big. Which is why I would lump him with guards not bigs

Cody on the other hand would almost never ... if not absolutely never defend an oposing guard despite where he scores from. Due to this I'd classify him as big.

Allen Iverson drove a lot and scored many of his points inside, yet he's not a big.

This was begun with discussion on filling out the roster and our need for guards. I was seperating bigs from guards and listed DE as guard. Regardless of what anyone else on this board thinks, I'll stick with my original correct opinion.

I'm going to leave the Euro Big, Chineese guard, and South American tweeners out of it.

Correct, it is the deciding factor where I see fit, as it is my personal opinion. What part of DE's game resembles that of a guard, exactly?

edit: is it time for me to reference when you said you were done with this 5 posts ago... man that is such a message board cliche

Offensively or defensively?

What part of Cody's offensive game resembles a big ... oops my bad, we have the Euro Big.

I'd be happy landing a quality transfer this summer at any position, but all things being relatively equal between the players, I would target a pg before a 3.

Are you not sold on McBroom as a pg? Everything I have read about him from his days at CMU describe him as a point guard. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I think McBroom figures to be the starting point guard for the 2014-15 season. We'll get a better handle on his ability after watching him this upcoming season, so my opinion of him could change.

I agree, I would be happy with a quality transfer at any position, but if the 2014-15 season were to start based on our roster, I could see McBroom (1), Yacoubou (2), the collection of GG, JM, TL and AB to fill the 4 and 5. Who is at the 3? Crawford would be the only option. Maybe that is good enough. The good news is that we don't have any glaring holes at the moment. There is a pretty good foundation.