Recruiting - 2013

Marketing. It was the perfect major for not knowing what I wanted to do in life and not wanting to work hard in college. A lot of my super easy classes were electives and other general business classes. Not just marketing.

I picked up an American Studies minor late in my junior year. Those were much tougher, more interesting classes. I got better grades because I was actually paying attention. Probably would have majored in it if I found it sooner.

wow. those are both utter bull**** chick majors. glad you made it into the real world alright.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Politics in film at SLU was one of the easiest classes I could find. We would watch a movie with political ties and discuss that.

The "Matrix" and Religion course taught by Jay Hammond (see: nemesis, Biondi for more) was the worst decision for about 30 people in the summer of 2004. 30 of us started, 5 were left at the end. I think a majority of those who dropped out were stoners who thought we'd just watch the trilogy and discuss it. 10 textbooks later, they decided to take the blue pill.

To fulfill my 200-level Theology requirement I took a summer course entitled, "The Reel Jesus". It was 9am-noon, M-F, for 3 weeks, and all we did was watch every single theatrical movie that depicted Christ's life. Seriously. From black and white, no sound Jesus of the 1920's (example) through Passion of the Christ. It had to be 20+ films. For a grade, you were given a spreadsheet that listed acts from the bible, and just checked when/if they appeared in each movie. The teacher also went over this sheet at the end of each movie, in case you were doing something reasonable.. like sleeping. I consider finding this class one of God's little miracles.

There is a transfer out there, I haven't seen anything to say we have any interest/contact, but I wouldn't hate getting him.

Brian Greene from Auburn. 6'3" 2 guard, originally from Chicago, attending Thornton HS..

https://twitter.com/flight_bg

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2013/05/auburn_guard_brian_greene_jr_t.html

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Brian-Greene%20Jr.-136927

He is a guy that could be left standing when the music stops and we could be left with an empty chair.

I'm hoping Randy Onwuasor makes a decision soon, assuming he's able to do so (not sure if offers are contingent upon the results of the 6/1 SAT).

For the other spot (or both), it could be a summer-long wait. The only deadline now is next semester starting.

I took Avis Meyer's Film Appreciation class my senior year at Saint Louis University and it was no doubt my favorite class during my time at SLU. I did not consider it easy at all, however the class debate/discussions were memorable and very enlightening. It changed the way i watched movies forever.

the poster making light of his public speaking class, while it may have been what seemed like a "joke" I agree with old guy that the art of public speaking is invaluable. you may have thought it was nothing, but i suspect it was still a good experience for you and helped you more going forward in life than you think.

about 20 years ago i had the pleasure of doing the Dale Carnegie Course in the Westport area, and I believe that was more of a life changer for me than my time at Saint Louis University (and i enjoyed Saint Louis University). being able to speak and communicate effectively is invaluable.

I took Avis Meyer's Film Appreciation class my senior year at Saint Louis University and it was no doubt my favorite class during my time at SLU. I did not consider it easy at all, however the class debate/discussions were memorable and very enlightening. It changed the way i watched movies forever.

I took this same class in 2003 with Avis Meyer. That was during my hazy days at SLU which made for great movie watching during class. Great class, even better teacher

Movies are a form of art that can be appreciated.

Or Music Appreciation with trumpeter Mary Weber of the Illinois Symphony Orchestra, who tripped and fell while entering stage left during an unforgettable performance of Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf."

I'm hoping Randy Onwuasor makes a decision soon, assuming he's able to do so (not sure if offers are contingent upon the results of the 6/1 SAT).

For the other spot (or both), it could be a summer-long wait. The only deadline now is next semester starting.

The other spot will take a while yacoubou doesn't have a twitter so it's harder to make a timetable for him

the poster making light of his public speaking class, while it may have been what seemed like a "joke" I agree with old guy that the art of public speaking is invaluable. you may have thought it was nothing, but i suspect it was still a good experience for you and helped you more going forward in life than you think.

about 20 years ago i had the pleasure of doing the Dale Carnegie Course in the Westport area, and I believe that was more of a life changer for me than my time at Saint Louis University (and i enjoyed Saint Louis University). being able to speak and communicate effectively is invaluable.

Thanks.

Re: Yacoubou

Here's Brian Gregory's recruiting pitch:

"Man, if you come here, I will mismanage your career more than anyone else can. Also, you will have plenty of time in March to study because there's no way you'll get to play in the NCAA tournament. I have a great track record of going .500, don't you want a part of that?"

Re: Yacoubou

Here's Brian Gregory's recruiting pitch:

"Man, if you come here, I will mismanage your career more than anyone else can. Also, you will have plenty of time in March to study because there's no way you'll get to play in the NCAA tournament. I have a great track record of going .500, don't you want a part of that?"

I seriously doubt that is what Brian Gregory's recruiting pitch is!

Where is your evidence that this is what he sells?! Link?

Just checked the SAT site in the net. They say the results are available to the students taking the tests 3 weeks after the test is completed. So, if he takes the test June 1st, he should be able to get the score around June 22.

Just checked the SAT site in the net. They say the results are available to the students taking the tests 3 weeks after the test is completed. So, if he takes the test June 1st, he should be able to get the score around June 22.

So if he isn't committed to us that date then we have more concrete evidence that Crews is a bad recruiter...

When I went to SLU one of the chief things I liked about it was fellow students were eager to help you fit in. I went to University of Illinois for three semesters, first and although the campus was beautiful compared to SLU 1965-1971 it was also cold; classes were too large; neither faculty or fellow students seemed interested in freshman and they had a system designed to be impartial by keeping everyone at arms distance. At SLU if you wanted to find slacker classes you could but if you were really keen on studying any particular subject everyone knew and shared the information on which teachers had the reputations for a really good academic training. Like many people today I was interested in post graduate study and not wasting my time with the poor communicators or boring scholars who were not qualified as lectors or teachers.

I would think todays students at SLU who average better than a 27 on the ACT would be similarly disposed. People like Conklin, Lisch, Cassity all thrived in the classroom as well as the court. The athletes I knew always competed in the classroom as well. Going through 4 or 5 years of college and barely getting C must be a lot like sitting on the bench for 4 years and only getting on the court for shoot arounds and practice sessions.