Recruiting - 2013

i detest harrington and his top recruiting asst campo (convinced they worked real hard to chase stemler and harrelson away from slu. regardless if true or not, they havent sent us a player since the late 80's) so i do not follow swic. sorry.

You don't remember him from Alton (class of 2012)?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, let's say the Nova kid and RO go elsewhere and there really is no one else on the radar, would folks take J.Strawberry even if JS wasn't quite up to an A-10 quality guard? Maybe he could turn into a solid pg after 2-3 years?

I see cheese's point about an injury, but outside of RO, it doesn't seem like we have anyone on the radar that would be able to help out if one of MM, AM or JJ goes down. Cheese, would you take Strawberry just to have as a possible emergency fill-in?

Let's certainly hope it doesn't come to this, but I would be ok if we offered a kid like Strawberry on one-year deal with the possibility that it could turn into a longer deal... similar to what RM did with Eckerle. If he left after one-year and was on course to graduate, it would not hurt the APR, correct?

I

So would you have been fine with a transfer before Drew left? If so, then I'm not following your concern about next season as a transfer wouldn't have helped next year and Drew was never considered a major factor for playing time. With McCall, Jett and McBroom getting the lions share of the minutes at the 2 guard spots we'll be fine if one gets hurt with Barnett and Crawford as capable reserves. We basically traded Mitchell for McBroom as far as the depth chart goes. I can't imagine a freshman we'd find at this point being able to meaningfully contribute next season.

My concern is not related to Drew in any way. Before he left we only had one schollie to give so I would have still wanted that to go to guard for next year regardless. I understand that some say there are guards a plenty but we really need one for next year - Barnett is not a guard and you can not play him there consistently - he is a tweener and while he could give you someone to spell a guard for a few minutes here and there, if one of your guards gets hurt and we have to play Barnett extended time as a guard we are in deep trouble. I can appreciate everyone's big like of Crawford, but really when we thought he was small forward/shooting forward we were never talking about him playing guard per se and he was going to take time away from Barnett and Drew - he may end up being a great find and I hope he is but now all of a sudden he is a guard and all our troubles are over - besides, I want to see him play first before I deem him a great pick up. After all we have had these great pick ups before who never really panned out for lots of reasons - too slow, can not defend, can not shoot, can not pour piss out of boot with directions on the heel, you name it. It does not have to be a freshman it could be a Jucco but I think a freshman could contribute - not KM minutes but enough to make sure we have some insurance - truth be told if MM or JJ or KM had gotten hurt last year we would have been in a world of hurt also - my simply is we have to have at least 4 true guards on this team to make sure we are adequately covered and pushing square pegs in a round hole won't do it - if all we want to do is be 500 OK but not anymore for my expectations.

Pistol, on 20 May 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

You don't remember him from Alton (class of 2012)?

i do not. and i saw alton play twice that year. obviously wasnt as good as the belleville west and belleville east guards in the two games i saw. btw the two west guards in their game, one is going to eastern as a walk on and the other is going to lindenwood. so if he was outplayed by them, well.

i do not. and i saw alton play twice that year. obviously wasnt as good as the belleville west and belleville east guards in the two games i saw. btw the two west guards in their game, one is going to eastern as a walk on and the other is going to lindenwood. so if he was outplayed by them, well.

Thanks. Nothing I could find had me too excited about him, either. Let's hope Randy O. and a transfer commit soon.

Thanks. Nothing I could find had me too excited about him, either. Let's hope Randy O. and a transfer commit soon.

Basing it solely on statistics, I am not terribly excited by him either. Usually JuCo guards tend to have wildly inflated stats. His shooting numbers seem Polkish. I have never seen the guy play so maybe there is more to it, or he played behind a D1 bound guard, or something?

Out of curiosity, let's say the Nova kid and RO go elsewhere and there really is no one else on the radar, would folks take J.Strawberry even if JS wasn't quite up to an A-10 quality guard? Maybe he could turn into a solid pg after 2-3 years?

I see cheese's point about an injury, but outside of RO, it doesn't seem like we have anyone on the radar that would be able to help out if one of MM, AM or JJ goes down. Cheese, would you take Strawberry just to have as a possible emergency fill-in?

I am in no position to evaluate these players at this time - if JC thinks Strawberry can play then fine but either way we need another true guard for next year no matter where he comes from.

Pistol, on 20 May 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

alton does have now sophomore, carlos anderson, that is on a lot of radar's. he was probably the best player on the alton team this past season already. he already has come to saint louis university on an unofficial visit this past winter.

I am in no position to evaluate these players at this time - if JC thinks Strawberry can play then fine but either way we need another true guard for next year no matter where he comes from.

Let's assume for the sake of argument Strawberry isn't quite to the level of an A-10 guard (i.e. he's more like an SIU-E level player), would you take him if he was out only option for a 4th guard?

You know as well as I the staff can't say anything about RO because of NCAA rules. In fact they have never said anything about RO.

The fact he is still in contact with B Wex probably is a pretty good indicator that there is still interest.

+1

Let's assume for the sake of argument Strawberry isn't quite to the level of an A-10 guard (i.e. he's more like an SIU-E level player), would you take him if he was out only option for a 4th guard?

I wouldn't. I don't want to put the program or the player in a potentially uncomfortable position moving forward (a la Drew).

But Strawberry actually might be good. He's played at the highest possible level in HS and won. He's never put up gaudy numbers because he hasn't had to; he's been feeding 5-star recruits for three seasons. I don't know what he's looked like in AAU play, tournaments, or all star games, but he's tricky to evaluate based on HS alone.

I'd prefer we wait if it's not someone we really want.

As far as Drew goes, remember all the players weren't necessarily on Drews side and MM's comments that it's about more than just basketball lends credence to Kitti's comments,

I'm sure any recruit seriously considering us who has hesitation regarding Drew has been spoken to about what went down. It's very easy to make a point without getting specific.

Strawberry is really interested in SLU, that is a plus for sure. All you can ask from someone is to have a commitment to your team and to work as hard as he can to add to the team. If he fits well, works hard, and has some talent, why not? I am really in no position to judge the ability of someone as a player, I will have to trust the coaching staff to do that.

Strawberry is really interested in SLU, that is a plus for sure. All you can ask from someone is to have a commitment to your team and to work as hard as he can to add to the team. If he fits well, works hard, and has some talent, why not? I am really in no position to judge the ability of someone as a player, I will have to trust the coaching staff to do that.

I agree with you. What I don't want us to do is sign a player because he seems to be our best option but not a player we'd have signed had we had better choices. This could easily lead to us recruiting over him next year and him being another guy who is asked to find a better fit elsewhere. If we don't believe there is a reasonable chance a guy can be a starter on a top 25 team by his Jr year ... I'd pass

I agree with you. What I don't want us to do is sign a player because he seems to be our best option but not a player we'd have signed had we had better choices. This could easily lead to us recruiting over him next year and him being another guy who is asked to find a better fit elsewhere. If we don't believe there is a reasonable chance a guy can be a starter on a top 25 team by his Jr year ... I'd pass

+1

I wouldn't have a problem with Strawberry. The kid wants to be here and he has consistently been able to run the offense for high quality HS team loaded with stars (not as easy as some would think). You have to have enough bodies to practice with, too. Injuries can start to rack up as the season goes along having quality practice players is important.

I'd prefer we wait if it's not someone we really want.

As far as Drew goes, remember all the players weren't necessarily on Drews side and MM's comments that it's about more than just basketball lends credence to Kitti's comments,

I'm sure any recruit seriously considering us who has hesitation regarding Drew has been spoken to about what went down. It's very easy to make a point without getting specific.

What were MM's comments? I think I missed this

What were MM's comments? I think I missed this

I think is is referring to the fact that McCall retweeted this:

Everything isn't always how it reads. There's a lot more to being a division one basketball player than basketball.

It was on the day that it was announced Drew would transfer. However, it is hard to tell if it is related to the Drew situation and it could be taken multiple ways even if it is related.

desirae ball@DBALLiN1315 May

Everything isn't always how it reads. There's a lot more to being a division one basketball player than basketball.

It was on the day that it was announced Drew would transfer. However, it is hard to tell if it is related to the Drew situation and it could be taken multiple ways even if it is related.

thanks

Ok and everyone else out there just to help things out a bit i am a 18 yr old

Do you like guns and foreign travel? I may have a job for you.

Agreed. My first read of it was that he was saying Drew didn't leave on his own (the way the SLU announcement made it sound) and that there is a lot of b.s. that one has to put up with in being a D1 player.

I can see how Skip reads it too. I guess it all depends on what one wants to believe.

Agreed. My first read of it was that he was saying Drew didn't leave on his own (the way the SLU announcement made it sound) and that there is a lot of b.s. that one has to put up with in being a D1 player.

I can see how Skip reads it too. I guess it all depends on what one wants to believe.

kshoe, you need a job!