Recruiting - 2013

A few thoughts:

-I updated the master list with the latest on Jesperson. My hunch was that SLU was already the third place contender to UNI (where he has friends and would star) or USC (which is one of the largest athletic programs in the nation and now not far from where his brother will be playing).

-This is already a very good recruiting class. We beat a LOT of serious competition for Agbeko and Lancona. Talented bigs with wide-ranging skill sets and high upside do not come along every year, and we have two. We also may very well have gotten Crawford before a lot of other schools got interested by signing him in the fall. We should feel good about what the staff has already accomplished.

-That said, I would like at least one more, preferably two spots filled this year. And I would like at least one of those spots to go to someone who won't be a freshman. Class "bunching" never works very well; when too many guys arrive as one class, there are just too many mouths to feed and egos are not getting any smaller these days. There is a TON of talent in the class of 2014 in the Midwest, much of it in Illinois and Missouri, and I'd hate to see us lose some of it to transfers in a couple years by having to fill 7 scholarships. 5 strong players in the class of 2014 would be perfect. We also don't want to be carrying unused scholarships too long.

-It's impossible to read Drew's transfer as a positive or negative in terms of how it will affect each individual recruit in this class. There is a decent chance some of our targets don't even know about it. There is also a decent chance they'll take it as a sign it was done to make room for them. And there's a decent chance they got to know Drew on their visit and are disappointed. There's just no way of knowing.

Everything in here makes 100 percent sense on a number of things

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning on it as soon as this one is wrapped up. I've been getting one started for another thread- would people rather see it now, or after this one?

You've been doing a great job, Pistol, and we appreciate it. Don't use up all your sparklers and fireworks on July 4. Just sayin' ...

Fully agree with you Pistol. One thing you must always keep in mind Jrbenendzen is that absolutely no one is totally necessary for the success of an organization. A basketball team qualifies as an organization, this is a very hard concept to grasp.

Totally disagree on that Randy O follows Jared Drew Aka(Uncle Deuce). So I Highly think that he knows what happened. And i am really sure he was close to commiting to slu and now is nowhere close to commiting here.

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, basing decisions on the one-sided tweets of a 19 year old kid is an idiot, an absolute idiot. Strong words, yes, but dead on accurate.

AlumniFan,

Please refrain from calling 18 year old kids who are excited about Billiken basketball idiots. Jrberendzen, think about what you write a little bit harder before you completely flame out on this board (and I'll slap you up side the head the next time I see you). Alumni, upon second reading I think you might be calling Randy O an idiot; if he would happen to sign up with us he would be our idiot, so maybe you would just want to soften it up and say that he might be a little bit misguided.

AlumniFan,

Please refrain from calling 18 year old kids who are excited about Billiken basketball idiots. Jrberendzen, think about what you write a little bit harder before you completely flame out on this board (and I'll slap you up side the head the next time I see you). Alumni, upon second reading I think you might be calling Randy O an idiot; if he would happen to sign up with us he would be our idiot, so maybe you would just want to soften it up and say that he might be a little bit misguided.

I have raised two kids who are now well beyond 18. If they had made decisions based on the the one-sided tweets of a 19 year old I would have called them idiots. If you cannot deal with reality and you want to baby people so the quality of their lives is worse than it would otherwise be just so that YOU feel better about it, then that is a situation you have to deal with. You can save your typing efforts of reprimanding me.

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, basing decisions on the one-sided tweets of a 19 year old kid is an idiot, an absolute idiot. Strong words, yes, but dead on accurate.

I will say this. The Jared Drew situation goes well beyond tweets. He discussed his displeasure with a writer in Indy as well as with Ben. It went national with the ESPN article. The issue is something that could backfire due to bad publicity. I do feel like it is something that could have a negative impact, regardless of how you feel personally about this situation.

I will say this. The Jared Drew situation goes well beyond tweets. He discussed his displeasure with a writer in Indy as well as with Ben. It went national with the ESPN article. The issue is something that could backfire due to bad publicity. I do feel like it is something that could have a negative impact, regardless of how you feel personally about this situation.

Understood, but it is still (obviously) one-sided.

I have raised two kids who are now well beyond 18. If they had made decisions based on the the one-sided tweets of a 19 year old I would have called them idiots. If you cannot deal with reality and you want to baby people so the quality of their lives is worse than it would otherwise be just so that YOU feel better about it, then that is a situation you have to deal with. You can save your typing efforts of reprimanding me.

Dude, you take haughty to a whole new level. We all get it, you're great and you know everything. I actually am an idiot for dealing with an insufferable jerk on a message board. I will cease the typing efforts of reprimand (whatever that means) because you are definitely not worth it.

Dude, you take haughty to a whole new level. We all get it, you're great and you know everything. I actually am an idiot for dealing with an insufferable jerk on a message board. I will cease the typing efforts of reprimand (whatever that means) because you are definitely not worth it.

You're an idiot? You're ahead of me, I'm just a moron.

Wow! Dramatic much?

Do you really want kids making decisions based on one-sided Internet postings? Yes, I know the reality is that some will, but that is pathetic. I sincerely hope they have more maturity than that and more parental guidance. If not...it's a function of Darwinism (or at least the statistical realities of the bell curve). Not everyone makes good decisions and basing decisions off the Internet postings of a 19 year old is idiotic. Not haughty; reality.

Oh, and Band Legend, I'm still an Ayn Rand fan.

Wow! Dramatic much?

Do you really want kids making decisions based on one-sided Internet postings? Yes, I know the reality is that some will, but that is pathetic. I sincerely hope they have more maturity than that and more parental guidance. If not...it's a function of Darwinism (or at least the statistical realities of the bell curve). Not everyone makes good decisions and basing decisions off the Internet postings of a 19 year old is idiotic. Not haughty; reality.

I believe it all weighs into a complicated formula that recruits use to make difficult decisions. Whether it weighs heavily or is just a light side item depends on the individual. Does SLU want anything at all weighing against them when decisions can come down to how those light weighing side items add up when there are so many schools trying to get certain recruits' commitments?

I believe it all weighs into a complicated formula that recruits use to make difficult decisions. Whether it weighs heavily or is just a light side item depends on the individual. Does SLU want anything at all weighing against them when decisions can come down to how those light weighing side items add up when there are so many schools trying to get certain recruits' commitments?

Yes, SLU likes challenges. We're not pu$$ies like at Valpo.

Fully agree with you Pistol. One thing you must always keep in mind Jrbenendzen is that absolutely no one is totally necessary for the success of an organization. A basketball team qualifies as an organization, this is a very hard concept to grasp.

I get that part it's a team game and everyone needs to work well together