Recruiting - 2013

I'm also flabbergasted by the knocks on Sloan and Meyer. Both were very solid 4-year players. Excellent defenders, hard workers, smart guys. Never got hurt, always played hard. Sloan was very athletic, as Channing Frye could remind you. Meyer never developed into the scorer I thought he could be - his 3-point shot never materialized - but he, along with Sloan, are both on my all-time SLU Stat Sheet team- guys who don't jump off the paper but who would be serious assets on any roster.

Go back and watch game tape if you don't believe me.

I think Crawford has the potential to be a better scorer than either but if he's as good all-around as either, I'll be very, very pleased to have him.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miami-Ohio is also recruiting RJ Slawson, a PF transfer from South Carolina. Could be the top target now that a PG slot has been filled.

LSU is also recruiting Kyle Vinales, a 6-1 guard from Central Connecticut who had announced a transfer to Toledo, then reopened his recruitment.

So Randy Onwuasor's path to these other schools is no more open than it is to SLU. I can understand him taking his time.

+1 If he is Meyer or Sloan, that would be disappoinnting considering how far I think this program has progressed. I know we have to compare white guys to other white guys, but why can't Crawford be closer to Scott Highmark than Chris Sloan?

I would be very satisfied if he is anywhere near as good as Highmark; and he probably is.

Pistol, I always thought Sloan was underrated by most on this board while Luke tended to be overrated.

I think people are really getting confused on what type of program we are. We are not going to build a program with 13 star players on the roster. We need some guys that will fill aspecific roles and may never start, but are willing buy into the team concept.

I'm also flabbergasted by the knocks on Sloan and Meyer. Both were very solid 4-year players. Excellent defenders, hard workers, smart guys. Never got hurt, always played hard. Sloan was very athletic, as Channing Frye could remind you. Meyer never developed into the scorer I thought he could be - his 3-point shot never materialized - but he, along with Sloan, are both on my all-time SLU Stat Sheet team- guys who don't jump off the paper but who would be serious assets on any roster.

I think Crawford has the potential to be a better scorer than either but if he's as good all-around as either, I'll be very, very pleased to have him.

I don't think we are knocking them. They were good players but we need players who can do the same things they did and more if we want to continue to compete at a MUCH higher level, especially if we will be a part of the New Big East. We NEED forwards who can rebound better and possibly score more. They were good role players. imo

Luke Meyer was awesome. Everyone who disagrees is obviously biased :ph34r:

Pistol, I always thought Sloan was underrated by most on this board while Luke tended to be overrated.

I think people are really getting confused on what type of program we are. We are going to build a program with 13 star players on the roster. We need some guys that will play fill specific roles and may never start, but are willing buy into the team concept.

Yup. People act like we have 5 stars banging down the door. Then we lose a couple of guys to better programs and people think we should fold and start on 2014.

I don't think we are knocking them. They were good players but we need players who can do the same things they did and more if we want to continue to compete at a MUCH higher level, especially if we will be a part of the New Big East. We NEED forwards who can rebound better and possibly score more. They were good role players. imo

A team needs good role players. Not everyone can, will, or should be a star.

Meyer played out of position for most of his career because of Soderbergs recruiting of big men.

Where else was he going to play? Polk was the ballhandler and then Liddell and Lisch were going to get the lion's share of minutes. Meyer's best shot at significant playing time was at the four, even though that wasn't his position.

That really threw me for a loop. That appeared to be a done deal. And doing some Googling, I'm not the only one who thought so. He's a head case.

Anyway, we're still head-to-head with Pitt on Yacoubou for sure, and maybe Onwuasor. Randy O never visited there, and they appeared to have backed off. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if them backing off and leaving him with SLU and Miami right after he narrowed it to three publicly may have caused him to see if other programs were interested.

By the way, the two latest threads on Miami's board about Onwuasor end with one guy thinking he's going the Juco route and another thinking he's going to UC-Riverside. There aren't many people there, but they could use some voices of reason.

Kane's from Pittsburgh. I had to read that a couple times.

Just b/c guys are 6'4" to 6"6' tall, and are white guys on top of that, does not mean they are similar or have similar games. Highmark was a perimeter player who sometimes had to go inside (usually to defend). Although he was tall, he was not a post-up kind of player. Instead, he was deadly from the outside - especially when a pick was set for him. Sloan, on the other hand, was more of an interior player who could also dribble some and shoot some. Sloan started as a Freshman for Romar b/c of his defense. Over time, his offense increased and he turned into a good and productive player. Meyer was really more of a "tweener". Believe he led the metro area in scoring (around 28 ppg) in high school but his high school game did not translate as well to the college game. His outside shot was decent but it was more of set shot (unlike Highmark). And when combined with only average speed, Meyer's perimeter play was not great. Even with a true power forward/4, Meyer would have still struggled from the perimeter. Meyer, though, was smart, crafty and had good moves and therefore was still effective playing on the interior most nights for us. When faced with a true 6'7 to 6'9" quick and/or powerful 4, the results were not so good but, of course, that did not happen all that often.

I heard Jolly is on campus today! I don't remember if I was dreaming or not but good news seems to be on the way!

Huh? Did you even read or think about your post before you hit reply? So, on the one hand you're saying you can't opine an answer and then on the other you say you don't understand how you're not answering my question. Um, ok.

Apparently, you failed to read the part where I said we could assume that Strawberry was a lower D-1 quality player.

Nevermind. This is futile. You can't and won't give an answer. That should come in handy after the fact when you tell us what Crews should have done.

You are right - this is futile - you clearly only want a yes or no answer and life does not always allow for that. Once again I have never said I would want to tell Crews what he should have done or not done - all I want is to have a quality roster that can deal with injuries if they happen and that is his job do provide that.

Just b/c guys are 6'4" to 6"6' tall, and are white guys on top of that, does not mean they are similar or have similar games. Highmark was a perimeter player who sometimes had to go inside (usually to defend). Although he was tall, he was not a post-up kind of player. Instead, he was deadly from the outside - especially when a pick was set for him. Sloan, on the other hand, was more of an interior player who could also dribble some and shoot some. Sloan started as a Freshman for Romar b/c of his defense. Over time, his offense increased and he turned into a good and productive player. Meyer was really more of a "tweener". Believe he led the metro area in scoring (around 28 ppg) in high school but his high school game did not translate as well to the college game. His outside shot was decent but it was more of set shot (unlike Highmark). And when combined with only average speed, Meyer's perimeter play was not great. Even with a true power forward/4, Meyer would have still struggled from the perimeter. Meyer, though, was smart, crafty and had good moves and therefore was still effective playing on the interior most nights for us. When faced with a true 6'7 to 6'9" quick and/or powerful 4, the results were not so good but, of course, that did not happen all that often.

I can recall talking to Coach Majerus and he said he was a huge fan of Luke Meyer and what he brought to the team on and off the court. He loved his tenacious hard nosed attitufe and his dedication to academics. Those kind of players are always welcome at SLU! Although he has different skill sets it sounds like our new man from Indiana has a lot of the same attributes.