Assistant Coach

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been the biggest supporter of promoting Crews but this isn't a terrible move.

Platt, while largely unsuccessful as a HC, has served under some decent HCs, Joey Meyer, Tubby Smith and is part of the Bobby Knight coaching tree. He'll step in and automatically know the system and how to implement it. He also has roots in the Chicago area and will be recruiting there along with Whitesell. He hasn't been retired for 5 years either. He's been recruiting continuously for several years, maybe he has something up his sleeve.

If anything this indicates to me Crews isn't looking at this season as some lame duck last hurrah. He's bringing in his own experienced guys and will make a run at trying to have the interim tag taken off his job title. While as of right now I would have serious reservations about that, it can't be a bad thing for the program at this stage.

I haven't been the biggest supporter of promoting Crews but this isn't a terrible move.

Platt, while largely unsuccessful as a HC, has served under some decent HCs, Joey Meyer, Tubby Smith and is part of the Bobby Knight coaching tree. He'll step in and automatically know the system and how to implement it. He also has roots in the Chicago area and will be recruiting there along with Whitesell. He hasn't been retired for 5 years either. He's been recruiting continuously for several years, maybe he has something up his sleeve.

If anything this indicates to me Crews isn't looking at this season as some lame duck last hurrah. He's bringing in his own experienced guys and will make a run at trying to have the interim tag taken off his job title. While as of right now I would have serious reservations about that, it can't be a bad thing for the program at this stage.

Fantastic!! The coaching tree of Joe Meyer just keeps branching out!! Seriously, you shouldn't Joey Meyer and Bobby Knight in the same sentence again much as support for both being "decent" coaches.

As to Platt, why the excitement for adding another bad former head coach? Sorry, if I remain passive. Chicago roots? Seems like we already have that covered with Whitesell. Whatever happened to diversity? Anyone still think adding a black assistant coach is a good idea?

Fantastic!! The coaching tree of Joe Meyer just keeps branching out!! Seriously, you shouldn't Joey Meyer and Bobby Knight in the same sentence again much as support for both being "decent" coaches.

As to Platt, why the excitement for adding another bad former head coach? Sorry, if I remain passive. Chicago roots? Seems like we already have that covered with Whitesell. Whatever happened to diversity? Anyone still think adding a black assistant coach is a good idea?

You mean for how many years now?

Ho-hum. Understand the move --- have to believe its stop-gap at best. Likely no one out there to speak of. This wiull all remain interim until either Majerus' contract expires, or a resolution on that is achieved.

Again, I believe this is May's chance to start shaping his staff and because he was not in on the Majerus hire, I think its going to take one hell of a season from Crews and compnay to make that regime stick. I think Whitesell is gone no matter what when this season is over. If Platt was with Crews at Army and part of the regime/issue that eventually led to Crews' dismissal, call me skeptical. I understand the 57 year sof coaching experience on th ebench but c'mon ...... Evansville, Army, Loyola, College of Charleston and Arkansas something? Not impressed enough to believe the remedy is already within the program.

You took from this thread that there is "excitement" about the Platt hire?

The hiring is meaningless unless Crews gets the gig on a permanent basis after the season. No other HC will retain Platt. If Crews does get the job on a permanent basis, the Platt hiring is not something I am enthused about. This is one of Crews' coaching buddies. He is not going to fire the guy after the season. Now we have a coaching staff dripping with coaching retreads. How do you sell that to young kids? I think one of Whitesell or Platt has to go if Crews gets the gig after the season. This can't be our coaching staff for other than a one-year basis.

The hiring is meaningless unless Crews gets the gig on a permanent basis after the season. No other HC will retain Platt. If Crews does get the job on a permanent basis, the Platt hiring is not something I am enthused about. This is one of Crews' coaching buddies. He is not going to fire the guy after the season. Now we have a coaching staff dripping with coaching retreads. How do you sell that to young kids? I think one of Whitesell or Platt has to go if Crews gets the gig after the season. This can't be our coaching staff for other than a one-year basis.

-yep

Justin Tatum?

i believe tatum's son is only a freshman (soph at most), thus there will be plenty of opportunity for the new coach next spring to play the dad card. normally i dont go for this move, but 1. tatum is a billiken, 2. tatum has been very successful coaching on the high school level and is very well connected in the summer basketball market with his years of coaching his son as he grew up.

hopefully whomever our new head coach will be will seriously look to tatum as an assistant on the staff next year.

gosh dont even think this. the absolute worst long term result for the program. fine get us through the season. hopefully he doesnt blow things up in the meantime.