Drew and Carter

Is it just me or is there a little bit of the McCall-Evans syndrome going on here? Seems that KC has received a lot of the attention and Drew is flying under the radar a bit. I hope for really good things from both KC and JD, but wonder if Drew will be a better player than anticipated (much like Evans)?

Is it just me or is there a little bit of the McCall-Evans syndrome going on here? Seems that KC has received a lot of the attention and Drew is flying under the radar a bit. I hope for really good things from both KC and JD, but wonder if Drew will be a better player than anticipated (much like Evans)?

Perhaps. But also not sure if Drew will get the same opportunity that Evans got in his freshman year. Once Smif transferred (would've been suspended if stayed) and Wille was suspended, Evans had a lot of minutes available to him right away. He made the most of those minutes and saw increased playing time as the season progressed, which was helped even more by Cody's injury. It just appears that Carter is going to get more of an opportunity to show himself early on than Drew will. So, I'm just not sure we will get the same impression right away that we did with Evans in relation to McCall, with Evans being sort of an afterthought and wildly exceeding expectations.

Summer speculation on players we have never seen is mostly futile.

Last yr many said Barnett was the next Downtown Freddie Brown, and Manning would be a factor. Maybe this yr.

Starting a thread on Drew-Carter like this is a shot in the dark. Sure, I like what I hear about them, but...

Summer speculation on players we have never seen is mostly futile.

Last yr many said Barnett was the next Downtown Freddie Brown, and Manning would be a factor. Maybe this yr.

Starting a thread on Drew-Carter like this is a shot in the dark. Sure, I like what I hear about them, but...

The thread was more geared at the hype surrounding carter and the relative lack of hype surrounding Drew. And how that seemed similar to the Evans-MM hype (or lack thereof). I wasn't really speculating on their actual ability.

Bingo. I was always a big Evans fan and think that Drew could be a similar story if not better.

Bingo. I was always a big Evans fan and think that Drew could be a similar story if not better.

If Drew learns the systems this year he could be a better story. I thought Evans would be good and I think Drew will be as good if not better. I'm sure Billiken fans would enjoy that.

I'll bite:

I like Drew's athleticism and potential. Very long arms, very good hops. (Those long arms need armor, though; very thin!) Maybe still growing (if he does get to 6-7, 6-8 or so, another layer of wow). Handle needs improvement. Can find ways to score. I'm excited to think where he can get in 2-3 years. The comparisons with Evans are wrongheaded: these are 2 different kinds of players. Evans more of a banger and slasher. Drew can slash but he is thinner and a bit of a tweener (2-3, not really sure where he will end up but probably guarding another guard); so Drew will need to play on the perimeter and improve his shooting out there to become effective. all this based on summer pick-up featuring little or no defense.

All that said I think when push comes to shove and we set up for the A10 tourney and hopefully the Dance: hard to figure how he will factor in, this year. Please recall that JM and GG rarely saw the floor last year. I was overseas and missed the games in the tournament but my guess is neither got in.

related note: I think a big clue that a program is making progress, real progress, is that freshmen usually sit. I'm not talking about a team like Kentucky or stud lottery types; but you generally want to rely on upper classmen, and have newbies sit a year or 2 and learn and grow and lift. Our program is a prototype of that sort of 4-year thing: really good recruits, in general, getting zero pt their first year, no that is really a nice problem to have. Hardly any of these kind of kids want to red-shirt, but truly speaking more ought to do it, if improving at basketball and getting more pt down the line is valuable to them. Because from here on out, and assuming no more scandals, most freshmen at SLU will not be seeing much of the floor. Carter may be one of those occasional difference makers, but we'll see on that one as well....

I'll bite:

I like Drew's athleticism and potential. Very long arms, very good hops. (Those long arms need armor, though; very thin!) Maybe still growing (if he does get to 6-7, 6-8 or so, another layer of wow). Handle needs improvement. Can find ways to score. I'm excited to think where he can get in 2-3 years. The comparisons with Evans are wrongheaded: these are 2 different kinds of players. Evans more of a banger and slasher. Drew can slash but he is thinner and a bit of a tweener (2-3, not really sure where he will end up but probably guarding another guard); so Drew will need to play on the perimeter and improve his shooting out there to become effective. all this based on summer pick-up featuring little or no defense.

All that said I think when push comes to shove and we set up for the A10 tourney and hopefully the Dance: hard to figure how he will factor in, this year. Please recall that JM and GG rarely saw the floor last year. I was overseas and missed the games in the tournament but my guess is neither got in.

related note: I think a big clue that a program is making progress, real progress, is that freshmen usually sit. I'm not talking about a team like Kentucky or stud lottery types; but you generally want to rely on upper classmen, and have newbies sit a year or 2 and learn and grow and lift. Our program is a prototype of that sort of 4-year thing: really good recruits, in general, getting zero pt their first year, no that is really a nice problem to have. Hardly any of these kind of kids want to red-shirt, but truly speaking more ought to do it, if improving at basketball and getting more pt down the line is valuable to them. Because from here on out, and assuming no more scandals, most freshmen at SLU will not be seeing much of the floor. Carter may be one of those occasional difference makers, but we'll see on that one as well....

+1

Good post.

I'll bite:

+1. Also - I wouldn't be surprised to see the younger guys to get more PT in the buy games this year. Rest the regulars up for the conference and tournament season, and guards seem to be able to contribute more as freshman than big guys.

I'll bite:

scandal? Don't you mean situation?

Anyone know if Carter is on campus yet? Drew and McBroom have been around for a few weeks now, taking classes and working out. At least a few other guys are around, too. Ellis is on his way back from Australia and will be back on campus tomorrow.

Anyone know if Carter is on campus yet? Drew and McBroom have been around for a few weeks now, taking classes and working out. At least a few other guys are around, too. Ellis is on his way back from Australia and will be back on campus tomorrow.

Carter is not on campus yet. I think he is coming at the beginning of August

Carter didn't score high enough on test scores to be eligible for summer classes. Yet another NCAA rule that makes no sense whatsoever, a kid who is eligible to play can't prepare himself for college standards by taking summer classes because his test scores were too low. The student athlete that needs more help doesn't get it. :wacko:

He has been on campus though for orientation.

Meanwhile, MM and McBroom (and others) are working out hard everyday at SLU if you are following their twitter feeds.

McBroom is a dark horse candidate for my favorite billiken since Lisch. He has Socratic tweets about relationships, life, and of course bball. Jawesome.

McBroom is a dark horse candidate for my favorite billiken since Lisch. He has Socratic tweets about relationships, life, and of course bball. Jawesome.

Dude is mad hateful. Looks like Austin Rivers' afterbirth, which is not a bad thing. He's a REALLY slick player.

Carter didn't score high enough on test scores to be eligible for summer classes. Yet another NCAA rule that makes no sense whatsoever, a kid who is eligible to play can't prepare himself for college standards by taking summer classes because his test scores were too low. The student athlete that needs more help doesn't get it. :wacko:

He has been on campus though for orientation.

-the ncaa on some things seems to be bass-ackwards

-study, study, study KC

What was the deal with McBroom? - why did he end up at Central MI?

McBroom was childhood friends with CMU star Trey Ziegler, whose dad was the coach. When Ziegler's dad got fired, they both left CMU. Trey Ziegler wound up at Pitt and he also had interest from Duke. When McBroom left, he had an offer to transfer to San Diego State and RM said he also had "interest" from Washington.

Carter didn't score high enough on test scores to be eligible for summer classes. Yet another NCAA rule that makes no sense whatsoever, a kid who is eligible to play can't prepare himself for college standards by taking summer classes because his test scores were too low. The student athlete that needs more help doesn't get it. :wacko: He has been on campus though for orientation.

maybe i am missing something, but if he didnt "score high enough" on tests, gpa, etc to attend summer classes at slu, i would think that means he is ineligible to go to college until those scores improve. i.e. young mr carter is not a billiken yet? somewhat concerning.

Summer classes are "accelerated." Perhaps not every incoming freshman ought to begin college studies in the summer. After a year of coursework, they may better be able to handle the faster pace of summer courses.

Exactly. Also, like most shools with high admission standards, I believe SLU has an academic support program for exceptionally admitted students, which is where KC should be for his first college experience. I wish him every success.

maybe i am missing something, but if he didnt "score high enough" on tests, gpa, etc to attend summer classes at slu, i would think that means he is ineligible to go to college until those scores improve. i.e. young mr carter is not a billiken yet? somewhat concerning.

He is a billiken and is qualified and eligible just didn't score high enough for the summer classes

Westy what other billikens over the last ten yearS didnt qualify for summer classes? I seriously do not know of any that were already admitted to slu