Shimmy out as womens coach

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The result isn't a headscratcher for me. Her record was horrible.

Was she told before or during the season that she was not being retained? If so why let her coach the season at all?

Or was she just unceremoniously fired after the buzzer sounded tonight?

Why not just announce this tomorrow? Let her fly home with the team at least before firing her. Seems like a heartless move to me.

Now maybe we can get someone who will take advantage of all the RM time in the building.

I wonder if Whitesell would take the job he seems like a really good coach and someone who would stay as long as it took.

I liked shimmy as a person. She was excellent speaking in public. Actually superb. Butg watching her teams play was not good. Fundamental trainwreck. And obviously a problem communicating with the team. Lisch leaves early chased two girls away that ended up starting at a big ten school. It was time to switch.

I was just looking at the Women's schedule and results a couple of days ago and wondering how much more time she had left. The team had a bad year but quite a few close loses. Most of the players were coming back except for one of the better guards. She said all the right things but didn't have the ability to translate it to the court. Hopefully, they have someone in mind that can raise the program to respectable levels.

The result isn't a headscratcher for me. Her record was horrible.

Was she told before or during the season that she was not being retained? If so why let her coach the season at all?

Or was she just unceremoniously fired after the buzzer sounded tonight?

Why not just announce this tomorrow? Let her fly home with the team at least before firing her. Seems like a heartless move to me.

Something I had heard last year was that this was her last year on the contract and the AD did not want to eat the last year so they told her that this would be it unless the team improved. So, she knew as the year unfolded what was in store for her if there was not improvement. This is not heartless just a fair way to treat someone - give them the entire contract time to save themselves and tell them what the criteria was to do so. It was time for her to go - SLU was very patient and fair with her. She just ran off too many players and produced too few results.

Women's basketball? Who cares ------------------- unless my daughter is playing. I know that might sound selfish and sexist but so be it. I won't lie. There isn't a woman's sport on that I will waste time on watching.

Women's basketball? Who cares ------------------- unless my daughter is playing. I know that might sound selfish and sexist but so be it. I won't lie. There isn't a woman's sport on that I will waste time on watching.

I enjoy watching certain lady golf professionals, not so much for the technical nature of the games. Olympic beach volleyball comes to mind as a "team" sport that's worth watching every four years. Otherwise, I can't get into women's sports.

I can't believe they let them play at the 'fetz. there has to be 9500 empty seats at every game

Exactly why the next coach is important.

I have long maintained that the survival/benefit from the on campus facility will be the growth of the women's bball program. I predict that there will soon not be enough seats in the house to fit all those wanting to see the MBB games. The biggest growth for the athletic department will be in getting butts in the seats for the women's games. Those folks will buy concession stand items and pay to park. That will help retire the debt on the building more quickly.

The Jones Dome needs modernizing and upkeep now, just a few years after the Rams come here. In ten years or so, there will be a need to upgrade our facilities as well. Having 3-5K folks coming to WBB games, which they do at Mo State quite regularly, will be good for SLU.

mhg

Exactly why the next coach is important.

I have long maintained that the survival/benefit from the on campus facility will be the growth of the women's bball program. I predict that there will soon not be enough seats in the house to fit all those wanting to see the MBB games. The biggest growth for the athletic department will be in getting butts in the seats for the women's games. Those folks will buy concession stand items and pay to park. That will help retire the debt on the building more quickly.

The Jones Dome needs modernizing and upkeep now, just a few years after the Rams come here. In ten years or so, there will be a need to upgrade our facilities as well. Having 3-5K folks coming to WBB games, which they do at Mo State quite regularly, will be good for SLU.

mhg

uhhh, no. that's what the concerts are for. let the gals play at west pine where they belong.

Any revenue - doesn't care where it comes from - baseball, soccer, where ever - is important to the total AD. If our women's program could start drawing 2-3K then that will be a big bump in money for the AD which would help all the sports even men's BB since it could keep more of what it brings in. Bottom line, the women's program has to shoulder some of the weight and we have not had a coach lately who could make that happen. I agree, we have to get a coach who can build a program.

Hopefully at the end of the national search, Brian Giorgis will be on the short list. It is doubtful that they can pry him away from Marist, but I believe he could turn the program around.

I have heard Ty Evans out of U of Alabama is meeting with Chris May as early as tomorrow about the head coaching position

I have heard Ty Evans out of U of Alabama is meeting with Chris May as early as tomorrow about the head coaching position

That would be interesting. He was on Pizzotti's staff.

I can't believe they let them play at the 'fetz. there has to be 9500 empty seats at every game

More like 10,000+. This is why the games should be played in the pavilion (where the volleyball team plays most matches) until the hoops team gains some fans. 300 people in a venue that seats 700 is a HELL of a lot better than 300 in a 10,600 seat building. It might actually get loud in the pavilion with that crowd. It will NEVER happen in the main building. It has to be hard for the team to see so many empty seats on a daily basis.

@Pistol --- wait a minute. We're lookign at bringing back an assistant from a coach who might arguably be the worst in SLU history in Jill Pizzoti? How is that sense?

I don't even know him and say go with the Marist guy.