Moore & Neufeld transferring

Best wishes and good luck to Zeke and Matt.

I hope you find what you are looking for in a new school and have good college basketball careers and graduate.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-good luck to Zeke and Matt, please keep or get those grades in order this semester

-to those that predicted roster turnover, well done, I was skeptical 

-I see a big difference between Coach Ford's quote in the Stu article and UB's penchant for holding schollies and I am extremely confident in the current staff's ability to get good value from these two spots when they are filled

-it is 226 or so days until the 2017-18 Bills take the floor in an exhibition game 

Since Gillman is a senior graduate transfer situation, I wonder if he is looking for somewhere to land before committing to transferring.  I don't know if the situation exists where Ford can allow him to search for a new school while still under scholarship.  If this is possible, I would keep an eye on another transfer possibly developing.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Since Gillman is a senior graduate transfer situation, I wonder if he is looking for somewhere to land before committing to transferring.  I don't know if the situation exists where Ford can allow him to search for a new school while still under scholarship.  If this is possible, I would keep an eye on another transfer possibly developing.

Doubt he is a senior.  He will be completing his 3rd full academic year this coming May.  It is hard enough to graduate in four years these days.......doubt he did it in 3 as a D1 athlete.

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Doubt he is a senior.  He will be completing his 3rd full academic year this coming May.  It is hard enough to graduate in four years these days.......doubt he did it in 3 as a D1 athlete.

I don't think Gillmann is on pace to graduate early but Crawford just did it. He will walk away with a bachelor's and a master's degree in 4 years. So it's certainly possible even at a school like SLU.

5 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Actually very easy now since they take degrees usually that don't require a lot of credit hours, and also because they take summer courses. My friends on the other athletic teams who are required to stay for summers are usually done in 3 years, but take up another degree or an extra minor if they stay for 4

5 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Actually very easy now since they take degrees usually that don't require a lot of credit hours, and also because they take summer courses. My friends on the other athletic teams who are required to stay for summers are usually done in 3 years, but take up another degree or an extra minor if they stay for 4

+1 Did the same thing in college - chose to stay for the fourth year of eligibility and pick up a minor because people who finish college after three years are a serious kind of crazy

27 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Hard for you, maybe.  Not unusual at all if you've been following athletics

29 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Well congrats if they can do it.  My daughter ran D1 cross country and track at Marshall University and the training demands were pretty great.  Of course she had to run both fall cross country and spring track but training is year-round.  She graduated in four years but it took quite an effort and minimal social life. 

9 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Well congrats if they can do it.  My daughter ran D1 cross country and track at Marshall University and the training demands were pretty great.  Of course she had to run both fall cross country and spring track but training is year-round.  She graduated in four years but it took quite an effort and minimal social life. 

So think of it this way, athletes need to be full time to be on scholarship and participate in sports, at SLU and most Spring/Fall semester schools that would be 12 credit hours. The average student takes about 15 credit hours a semester. factor in 2 summer semesters where they take at least 6 credit hours a summer, up to probably 12 and multiply the minimum which is about 6 by 4 and you get an additional 24 credit hours accumulated over the 4 summers, that is about an entire years worth. 

Not every athlete does this and takes advantage of it though. 

24 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Hard for you, maybe.  Not unusual at all if you've been following athletics

Not impossible, but still difficult, these kids get as much breaks or fewer (soccer and basketball players) than West Point, Naval Academy, Air Force Academy students. 

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Seriously? What percentage of D1 athletes do you imagine complete their degree in 3 years? 10%, 20%?

The NCAA lists 68 men's D1 basketball Grad Transfers in 2015, which they say was 1.5% of all men's basketball athletes.  This % has undoubtedly increased, maybe even doubled or tripled.  so say it is now at 5% for this discussion.  Certainly all who graduate early don't continue in basketball as Grad Transfers.  So 10% may be the high end.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/prevalence-graduate-transfer-division-i

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Seriously? What percentage of D1 athletes do you imagine complete their degree in 3 years? 10%, 20%?

I don't know the percentage because we usually only hear about the prominent athletes that do if, but I hear about it very often, especially in football.  Those guys rarely go home and some enroll a semester early. I often wondered why I never hear about guys arriving early in college basketball, but I guess those would be the guys that usually re classify and start a year early like Jontay Porter

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Does anyone have any info or topics of conversation that don't make me want to slam my head into a wall? 

Someone please tell me we are about to get another 4* recruit. 

Duane Wilson is an ESPN top 50 grad transfer guard. No idea if we are recruiting but we also have a pool of recruits to choose from now for 2018

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The NCAA lists 68 men's D1 basketball Grad Transfers in 2015, which they say was 1.5% of all men's basketball athletes.  This % has undoubtedly increased, maybe even doubled or tripled.  so say it is now at 5% for this discussion.  Certainly all who graduate early don't continue in basketball as Grad Transfers.  So 10% may be the high end.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/prevalence-graduate-transfer-division-i

Being a grad transfer doesn't mean it was done in three years.  I believe the vast majority of grad transfers is the result of a redshirt year.  That was the case for both Glaze and McBroom.  That means four years academically covering three years of eligibility.

31 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

So think of it this way, athletes need to be full time to be on scholarship and participate in sports, at SLU and most Spring/Fall semester schools that would be 12 credit hours. The average student takes about 15 credit hours a semester. factor in 2 summer semesters where they take at least 6 credit hours a summer, up to probably 12 and multiply the minimum which is about 6 by 4 and you get an additional 24 credit hours accumulated over the 4 summers, that is about an entire years worth. 

Not every athlete does this and takes advantage of it though. 

Don't forget that some may actually bring credits in from H.S. - AP classes and other options. ( sorry EastSide - didn't see your post.)

The majority of grad transfers are guys who redshirted a year.

The actual percentage of college basketball players who graduate in 3 years is probably closer to .01 of the total players.

47 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Duane Wilson is an ESPN top 50 grad transfer guard. No idea if we are recruiting but we also have a pool of recruits to choose from now for 2018

We know, you've told us about the many times how you know him personally yet somehow don't have any information on wether we're recruiting him. Nobody gives a sh1t about a guy who there's no evidence we or any of our competition are recruiting.

49 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Being a grad transfer doesn't mean it was done in three years.  I believe the vast majority of grad transfers is the result of a redshirt year.  That was the case for both Glaze and McBroom.  That means four years academically covering three years of eligibility.

Right--I was actually trying to think of a grad transfer where this wasn't the case, and couldn't come up with one.

Don't lose sight of the fact Gillmann also switched majors along the way.

I have never heard from anyone in the AD or the media proclaiming Austin is graduating with his Bachelor degree by the beginning of the fall semester.