Moore & Neufeld transferring

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Of course not, he and Charlie Tuna are hacks who love nothing more than to rip the local schools. I guess Scott now has a "friend" in Columbia at least on the hoops side, so maybe he will limit his bs to the football side there.

Makes me long for the good old days with Morris Henderson and Onion Horton. 

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to Tuna's show on the way home from work. Had to call in the other night. Mo argued with me that Joel Shelton could have been a star at a high major, just wasn't given the opportunity by SLU, Mizzou, Illinois.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

I listen to Tuna's show on the way home from work. Had to call in the other night. Mo argued with me that Joel Shelton could have been a star at a high major, just wasn't given the opportunity by SLU, Mizzou, Illinois.

Shelton was an excellent high school player, but if he could've been a star at a high major, shouldn't he have done better than 2.4 ppg at SEMO?

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

One might think Mr. Scott was a tad racist,no?

He might be. Tuna too.

11 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

We need to change this thread before it turns nasty. and I'll be the one leading the charge. I'm surprised you would post that trash, of course some dumb ass comedian saying something makes it true. I know white racists and I know black racists. There are idiots of all colors.

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

We need to change this thread before it turns nasty. and I'll be the one leading the charge. I'm surprised you would post that trash, of course some dumb ass comedian saying something makes it true. I know white racists and I know black racists. There are idiots of all colors.

+1, sorry I watched it, I really like Quality and enjoy his posts and his corrections of my word usage.

I wouldn't overreact to Scott's hot take. We all knew this was a risk if a local kid transferred, whether he was asked to leave or left on his own accord. He doesn't have any inside information; he's just seizing a narrative. Just ignore him and let things play out.

My own take is that Moore was iffy all season about whether he'd return. Ford knows better than to run off a local player without a very, very good reason. Moore had a typical freshman season, with some ups and downs and some real promise, but I think he looked ahead and saw a real fight for minutes in his future. I'm certain that he wasn't shoved out the door. In addition to whatever he was thinking, he's got some other voices in his ear - primarily his dad, who would no doubt like to see Zeke as a featured player rather than a role player, which is what he would have been for his career at SLU.

Deep breaths. We're fine. All is not lost. We're going to have plenty of recruiting battles now with a local guy at Mizzou, and we've always had an uphill battle in the local press. Our relationship with the local HS basketball community is as strong as it's been since Romar was in town, and possibly stronger. One local kid transferring out doesn't change that, and if anything shady happened (it didn't), we'd see that play out in those relationships (we won't).

22 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

2017 where people look at comedy to shape their political beliefs over the news

Probably better than turning to the twitter feed of a reality tv star... who happens to be in the White House.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I wouldn't overreact to Scott's hot take. We all knew this was a risk if a local kid transferred, whether he was asked to leave or left on his own accord. He doesn't have any inside information; he's just seizing a narrative. Just ignore him and let things play out.

My own take is that Moore was iffy all season about whether he'd return. Ford knows better than to run off a local player without a very, very good reason. Moore had a typical freshman season, with some ups and downs and some real promise, but I think he looked ahead and saw a real fight for minutes in his future. I'm certain that he wasn't shoved out the door. In addition to whatever he was thinking, he's got some other voices in his ear - primarily his dad, who would no doubt like to see Zeke as a featured player rather than a role player, which is what he would have been for his career at SLU.

Deep breaths. We're fine. All is not lost. We're going to have plenty of recruiting battles now with a local guy at Mizzou, and we've always had an uphill battle in the local press. Our relationship with the local HS basketball community is as strong as it's been since Romar was in town, and possibly stronger. One local kid transferring out doesn't change that, and if anything shady happened (it didn't), we'd see that play out in those relationships (we won't).

What Pistol said!

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

http://herosports.com/news/college-basketball-players-home-cities-grayson-allen-duke

Ignore the URL title, the article is on top Basketball recruiting cities, and St. Louis is on there as one of the top

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm not the biggest John Calipari fan, but when he was coaching at Memphis, I heard an interviewer tell him he could probably just fill his roster strictly with players from Memphis because they had so many good high school players.  Cal told the guy that was a horrible idea because the minute one of the local kids didn't get the playing time he thought he deserved it could become a cancer for the entire city.  He said that one unhappy kid (and family) could ruin a program very quickly.  

I think Travis has to be careful how he handles the local kids, too.  I would love it if he got every 4 & 5 star player in our region, but as you can see by Scott's article, it doesn't take much to spread poison.

16 minutes ago, GMan Alum said:

I'm not the biggest John Calipari fan, but when he was coaching at Memphis, I heard an interviewer tell him he could probably just fill his roster strictly with players from Memphis because they had so many good high school players.  Cal told the guy that was a horrible idea because the minute one of the local kids didn't get the playing time he thought he deserved it could become a cancer for the entire city.  He said that one unhappy kid (and family) could ruin a program very quickly.  

I think Travis has to be careful how he handles the local kids, too.  I would love it if he got every 4 & 5 star player in our region, but as you can see by Scott's article, it doesn't take much to spread poison.

I think I broke it down already, but from all the players FORD has recruited, out of our 7 new players next year, only 1 is from the STL area. 

19 minutes ago, GMan Alum said:

Cal's point is an excellent one, and he's always had a national approach to recruiting, too.

It's a tough balance because there's no doubt that the STL region is fertile with talent, more than enough to fill an excellent roster at SLU. But there's going to be some baggage with some of them. I'm trusting Ford and Tate and the rest of the staff to prioritize the right ones, and play the local political game smartly, too.

21 minutes ago, GMan Alum said:

I agree it can be dicey with local players, but the reality is Scott is a nothing who doesn't have much influence. Anybody with a clue will recognize he is just a cheerleader for Martin. More important is that we have Tate who seemingly has a good relationship with a lot of influential locals. And Ford will work it also.

I don't buy the Moore got run off narrative. Ford spoke highly of him late in the season and rewarded him with increased playing time. We had heard stories last year that his dad wanted him to be a star. They probably didn't want him to just be a role player here. I think he could have had some value here if he accepted that role, but if they weren't going to be happy with it, best to move on. If he goes to a league like the Ohio Valley, he could be a high volume shooter who does well.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I agree it can be dicey with local players, but the reality is Scott is a nothing who doesn't have much influence. Anybody with a clue will recognize he is just a cheerleader for Martin. More important is that we have Tate who seemingly has a good relationship with a lot of influential locals. And Ford will work it also.

I don't buy the Moore got run off narrative. Ford spoke highly of him late in the season and rewarded him with increased playing time. We had heard stories last year that his dad wanted him to be a star. They probably didn't want him to just be a role player here. I think he could have had some value here if he accepted that role, but if they weren't going to be happy with it, best to move on. If he goes to a league like the Ohio Valley, he could be a high volume shooter who does well.

Agree with ACE and GMan.  In my perfect roster, we pick up one or two local products every year.  On the average, in the past decade, how many 4 & 5 star players has the Metro STL area produced?  I'm not sure, and I will let someone else do the research, but I'll put one or two per year as a 10 year average.  If we pick up only one of those each year, and we haven't done that the past decade, I'm okay with that.  Then maybe that one other local 3 star player that fits a need. 

Coach has Van Macon and Will Bailey and Corey Tate on the staff for specific reasons.  Macon has inroads to the Metro NY/NE area, and Bailey the Chicago area.  We need to recruit those areas hard.  On next season's roster we have three Metro NY/NE players (Foreman, French and Bishop) and no Chicago area players.  Chicago has been down this past season, but guarantee there will always be hidden gems in Chitown.  We have had decent success up there and need to continue.  Our roster for next season is spread pretty evenly on the eastern 1/2 of the US.  With 3 from Metro NY/NE, we also have two from the SE, two from the Midwest, two from the 'Deep South' and three from STL. Loading up with STL players is good and bad, as has been pointed out by ACE and GMan.