Recruiting - 2016

-Pistol, GREAT stuff, thank you, as you say there appears to be talent that we are offering/evaluating, the key, of course, is landing the talent that fits with the chemistry and the U

-I feel bad for the kid with cancer, hope he makes a complete recovery, the other kid that has attended many high schools seems to have warning lights flashing all around him

-I wonder if the staff feels their collective chairs getting a little warm and not because of the outside temperature

-having a nice class this fall might make those chairs a little more comfortable

-thanks again

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like that Kyle Guy kid. Apparently he is childhood best friends with 2017 stud Michael Porter Jr. from Columbia, so UVA might be a serious player for Porter.

-I saw something this weekend that said Porter and a kid from OKC are also very close and so speculated on a combo deal

-I want to see Porter play as have heard great things about his game, could we hire his father?

-I saw something this weekend that said Porter and a kid from OKC are also very close and so speculated on a combo deal

-I want to see Porter play as have heard great things about his game, could we hire his father?

Trae Young.

We would have to hire his dad away from Mizzou as I believe he's an assistant on the women's team there. Wonder if that recruitment is going to be for Mizzou like that one recent recruit was for us except they already hired the kids dad.

Thanks for the work Pistol. Interested to find out who we are going to be interested in from Indiana since that should be the big area of recruiting for CC.

Interested to find out who we are going to be interested in from Indiana since that should be the big area of recruiting for CC.

I looked through a couple lists and see some names that might make sense, but I'll wait and see until we actually see SLU's name tied to some guys there.

I'd imagine that 2016 recruiting is really going to heat up now. As posters have said, this staff really needs a good class. As much as I wanted Tatum and thought we had a shot, I never fully counted on him and still think we have the ability to make it a strong year. But things need to start breaking sooner than later, as a lot of players are trying to trim their lists before the school year starts up again.

I have a feeling we may see a commitment soon. This staff has usually moved pretty quickly and surprised us with commits before. No information backing up my feeling just based on how they've surprised us before.

X Sneed

Or Canadian Key Stone Pipeline keeps flowing to West Pine and Ekiyor comes to SLU

I'm good with either.

All right, here's my first pass at a 2016 list for the year. We need something to help us move on from Jayson Tatum.

Some important notes, especially for those newer to the board:

-This is simply an aggregation of what I can find online about who SLU has offered and may still be interested in. Information is pulled from a variety of sources, but no pay sites. I'm not (as some long-time posters here suggested last year) simply scraping a site like Verbal Commits for this. I use that site, but launch with Google and also use information from ESPN, Yahoo, Twitter, 247Sports, Future 150, YouTube, MaxPreps, local news sites, other recruiting forums, and anywhere else that might be useful.

-I don't have any media credentials or connections or anything else along those lines. I don't talk to any players directly. I think I'm technically still considered a SLU booster since I'm a former season ticket holder and Billiken Club member.

-There may be stale facts (particularly on the offer and interest lists) or omissions. If you see something wrong or that isn't there, let me know. This includes whether you see a name that shouldn't be there or don't see a name that should.

-I can't keep up with all recruiting news all the time. I am happy to build the list but rely in part on the rest of you to help me with updates (see above).

-I'm trying to figure out whether to add something like 'SLU Status' for each player or whether to include SLU-related info in the Latest News part. Maybe it would make sense to add a section for my own view, since I really can only give my best guess as to where we stand with these guys.

Offers

Eric Curry: PF, 6-8, 210, Little Rock, AR (Southwest Christian Academy)Offers: SLU, Arkansas, Minnesota, VCU, Oklahoma State, SMU, Western Kentucky, Murray State. Interest: Oregon. Latest News: After averaging 10.1 and 7.2 at the Peach Jam, Curry picked up offers from Minnesota and Arkansas. Scouting Report: Curry is a strong rebounder and good finisher who plays with a lot of energy and grit. He would fit in well with a fast offense, as he looks to run the floor and score in transition at every opportunity.

Carsen Edwards: PG, 5-11, 185, Humble, TX (Atascocita)Offers: Purdue, Vanderbilt, Baylor, K-State, Georgia Tech, SMU, Virginia Tech, Tulsa, Houston, Rice, Fresno State, Lamar, Arkansas State. Interest: Texas, Texas A&M. Latest News: Edwards took an official visit to Purdue at the end of June. He plans to officially visit Vandy soon. SLU’s staff watched him play against the Eagles in the Peach Jam. Scouting Report: Edwards had a breakout junior HS season (24 PPG, 6 APG, 32-1 record). He’s a fearless playmaker who plays downhill and has an explosive step. Twitter: @Cboogie_3

Dashawn McDowell: PG, 6-6, 183, Oklahoma City, OK (Southeast)Offers: SLU, Cal, USC, SMU, Houston, Tulsa, Weber State. Interest: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Wake Forest, K-State, TCU. Latest News: McDowell plans to visit SMU this week. He plans to visit USC this fall. Scouting Report: McDowell is a tall, athletic point guard with solid court vision and ball skills. He can score at the rim and has a good mid-range jumper. Twitter: @YoBoySmooth

Xavier Sneed: SF, 6-5, 190, Florissant, MO (Hazelwood Central)Offers: SLU, Illinois, Mizzou, Minnesota, K-State, Cincinnati, Creighton, Xavier, Wichita State. Interest: Oklahoma, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt. Latest News: Sneed plans to cut his list to 5 soon. He will attend the Lawson-Oladipo Camp. Scouting Report: Sneed has developed a reputation as a lock-down defender. He’s a streaky scorer with a lot of athleticism. He seems to be improving his shooting. Twitter: @Luh_Sneed20

Interest

Kostas Antetokounmpo: 6-6, 190, Milwaukee, WI (Dominican)Offers: Iowa State. Interest: SLU, Marquette, Kansas, Florida State, Maryland, Minnesota, St. John’s, Texas, Wake Forest. Latest News: Antetokounmpo has been making the rounds this spring and summer, getting to as many camps and events as he can and drawing a lot of eyes. Iowa State was first to offer but many, many more should be on the way any time now. Scouting Report: Every coach in the nation should be keeping an eye on the younger brother of the Greek Freak. He’s still growing and looks an awful lot like his older brother, with his albatross arms. He’s raw but the upside is virtually unlimited. Twitter: @alexadetokoubo

Jordan Barnes: PG, 5-11, 150, St. Louis, MO (CBC)Offers: Northern Kentucky, South Alabama, Missouri State, Indiana State, SIUE, IUPUI, Arkansas State, Nebraska-Omaha. Interest: SLU, Mizzou, Tennessee, Creighton, Drake, Eastern Illinois, Lehigh, Xavier. Latest News: Barnes received an offer from Northern Kentucky after the Peach Jam. Scouting Report: Barnes is small but quick and plays with a lot of confidence. Twitter: JBtoocoold

Deon Barrett: PG, 5-10, 150, Lancaster, TX (Lancaster)Offers: None. Interest: SLU, Richmond, Oklahoma, Creighton, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Houston, Bucknell, Central Michigan, Fresno State, Louisiana Tech, UTEP, North Texas, Montana State, Albany, Long Island-Brooklyn, Arkansas State, Nebraska-Omaha, Abilene Christian. Latest News: Barrett continues to draw a lot of eyes, but still no offers. He played well at the Lone Star Top 100 Camp this weekend. Scouting Report: Barrett is quick on both ends and runs the floor extremely fast. He isn’t afraid to launch threes. Twitter: @kdotcash

Eddie Ekiyor: PF, 6-9, 215, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (New Hampton)Offers: Xavier, Georgia Tech, Oregon, Vanderbilt, Miami, Virginia Tech, Providence, Wake Forest, K-State, Villanova, Duquesne, UMass, Arkansas State. Interest: SLU, Duke, Florida, Kansas, Michigan, Syracuse, San Diego State. Latest News: Ekiyor has played well on the AAU circuit this summer, including dominating the CYBL Showdown Championships in July. He expects to make visits, narrow his list down soon, and choose in August or September. He said Xavier, Vandy, Oregon, K-State, Florida, and Wake Forest are working the hardest. Scouting Report: Considered the top uncommitted big man in Canada’s 2016 class, Ekiyor is an excellent rebounder and shot blocker, but can also score. Twitter: @Eddie_Ekiyor

Tarkus Ferguson: SG, 6-3, 180, Belleville, IL (Althoff) - Offers: SIUC, UIC. Interest: SLU, Cal, Indiana State, Missouri State, Evansville, SIUE. Latest News: Ferguson has had a nice showing with the SW Illinois Jets this summer and picked up offers from SIUC and UIC. Scouting Report: Ferguson is a stud athlete who can fill up a stat sheet. He needs to work on shot selection. Twitter: @T_Ferg15

Will Gladson: PF, 6-8, 190, St. Louis, MO (Chaminade)Offers: SIUE, IUPUI, Brown. Interest: SLU. Latest News: Gladson picked up an offer from Brown after a solid showing at the Peach Jam. He visited IUPUI with Mike Lewis in June. Scouting Report: Gladson was on the high-major radar early in his high school career but proceeded to tear both ACLs in consecutive seasons, considerably slowing him down. He remains a skilled, smart big man with good post moves and a consistent jumper, but development has been slowed by ACL tears in each knee in consecutive seasons. Twitter: @WILL_to_win_11

Brendon Gooch: SF, 6-5, 160, Belleville, IL (Althoff)Offers: Western Illinois, San Jose State, SIUC, SIUE. Interest: SLU, Illinois, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern, Indiana State, Missouri State, Drake, Evansville. Latest News: Not a whole lot of Gooch news this summer, but he’s playing with the SW Illinois Jets on the AAU circuit. Scouting Report: Gooch has a good wingspan for his frame, allowing him to play a bit bigger than he is. He’s still raw but has improved his shot, range, and confidence. Twitter: @Bgooch22

Elyjah Goss: SF, 6-7, 195, Bolingbrook, IL (Plainfield East)Offers: Western Illinois, IUPUI. Interest: SLU, Iowa, Northern Illinois, Loyola-Illinois, UWGB, UMKC, Fairfield, Wofford, Sam Houston State. Latest News: Goss has attended camps at SLU, UWGB, Loyola, and NIU. He has played well with the Illinois Celtics this summer. Scouting Report: Goss is athletic, bouncy, and active on the wing. He has a 6-11 wingspan and high ceiling. Twitter: @ElyjahGoss

Clayton Hughes: SF, 6-6, 190, Jackson, TN (University) Offers: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Butler, DePaul, Rhode Island, Central Florida, Murray State, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana Tech, South Alabama, Central Arkansas, Liberty. Interest: SLU, Mizzou, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Virginia, Notre Dame, Belmont. Latest News: Hughes picked up offers from DePaul, UCF, and Murray State this summer. He had a nice showing at the Next Up Recruits Elite Camp. Scouting Report: Hughes is a dangerous shooter who can handle the ball, finish strong above the rim, and make outstanding passes off the dribble. He’s a deceptive athlete with an unusual-looking form. Twitter: @ClaymaneeeeYooo

Sha’Markus Kennedy: PF, 6-7, 185, Tuscaloosa, AL (Northridge)Offers: None. Interest: SLU, Richmond, VCU, Murray State, Wright State, South Alabama, Samford, Troy, Tennessee Tech, Texas-Pan Am, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Abilene Christian. Latest News: Kennedy was invited to attend the Southeast College Exposure Camp (8/1 in Birmingham). He visited UT-Chattanooga last month. Scouting Report: Kennedy is a true late bloomer, pretty much an unknown until this spring, when he had some good showings on the Adidas circuit. He’s a natural shot blocker despite being undersized because he’s long and has outstanding leaping ability. He’s also a good rebounder. Twitter: @elite_dunker

Michael Lewis: SG, 6-2, 170, St. Louis, MO (Chaminade)Offers: Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, Central Michigan, IUPUI. Interest: SLU, Xavier, Kent State, San Jose State, Boise State, Eastern Kentucky, Nebraska-Omaha. Latest News: Lewis received an offer from Eastern Illinois. He visited IUPUI with Gladson in June. Scouting Report: Lewis is an undersized shooting guard sometimes relied on as a PG by Chaminade. He is an extremely reliable, poised outside shooter capable of hitting big shots. Twitter: @MikeLewisII

Dishon Lowery: PF, 6-7, 220, Peachtree City, GA (McIntosh)Offers: Louisiana Tech, High Point, Mercer. Interest: SLU, Penn, Murray State, Florida Gulf Coast, Wofford, Appalachian State, Troy, Tennessee Tech, North Florida, Arkansas-Little Rock, Samford, Hofstra. Latest News: SLU is one of a number of schools showing interest during the early summer. Scouting Report: Lowery has an extremely high motor and puts it to good use on the glass. He’s a strong post player with a good feel in the paint on both ends, but is a raw athlete who needs to work on defense and conditioning. Twitter: TeamLowery2016

Jerry Myles: PG, 6-5, 201, Davenport, IA (United Township)Offers: Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Creighton, Loyola-Illinois, Illinois State. Interest: SLU, Illinois, Kansas, Wisconsin, Northern Iowa. Latest News: Myles was not on the United Township roster for a summer event. His situation remains a mystery, as always. Scouting Report: Myles is a big, athletic guard with the ability to take over a game. He’s a strong defender, shooter, and passer. He started his career at Davenport West, transferred to Sunrise Christian (KS), and is now at United Township on the IL side of the Quad Cities. He’s rumored to be leaving there, as well.

Skyler Nash: SG, 6-5, 205, Chicago, IL (Riverside Brookfield) - Offers: Kansas State. Interest: SLU, Wisconsin, DePaul, Marquette, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa State, West Virginia, Yale. Latest News: Nash had a cancerous tumor removed in May. He is in remission but is being monitored regularly and requires quarterly colonoscopies. Nash has visited SLU, Michigan, DePaul, Purdue, and Marquette, and many others are interested but haven’t come through with offers. He transferred from Whitney Young to Riverside Brookfield for his senior season and is considering prep school afterward. Scouting Report: Nash is a strong, physical wing who finishes strong and rebounds the perimeter well. Twitter: @NashSkyler

Ashton West: G, 6-2, 180, Blue Springs, MO (Legacy Charter, Greenville, SC) - Offers: Davidson, Cornell, Miami-Ohio, Weber State, Jacksonville, Cal State-Bakersfield, Liberty. Interest: SLU, VCU, George Washington, Mizzou, Marquette, South Florida, Kansas, K-State, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Utah, Colorado, Vanderbilt, Cal, Rutgers, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Gonzaga, Southern Miss, SMU, UMKC, Belmont, Morehead State, Weber State, Florida Gulf Coast, Eastern Kentucky, Robert Morris, Brown, Norfolk State, Jacksonville State, Gardner-Webb, Binghamton, Stony Brook, Idaho, Idaho State, Tennessee State, Georgia State, Delaware, NC Central, Abilene Christian. Latest News: West will take an unofficial visit to Vandy in August. He will be attending Legacy Charter School in Greenville, SC. He has bounced around to at least three different high schools. SLU was first reported to show interest in West around late October. The level of interest picked up in the fall, but it’s tough to tell which offers and interested schools are still active. Scouting Report: A pass-first guard and good outside shooter, West is limited athletically but sat out a whole season with 3 torn ligaments and reclassified as a 2016 recruit. Twitter: @AshtonPG3

Thanks - just an observation, this group is not very big - height in some cases but a bit light in weight. Not many offers out by us.

@elite_dunker- there's our man! Seriously, Kennedy's recruitment seems to fit Rickma's style of finding real diamonds in the rough and getting in on them early. Unfortunately, the old fat guy was one of a kind when it came to this talent.

Not to drudge up old news but I thought this was an amusing photo choice:

Hard to calculate just how huge of a PR move it could have been

I saw that. Talk about of all pictures to pick for a kid picking Duke over St. Louis, this was the worst.

He's a Duke kid now, not a son of Saint Louis.

Most people won't care about him in 12 months. The most popular basket players of the past 30 years from this city are Hughesand Bonner. This chump will just be an after thought in this town no matter how many pictures he poses for wearing a Cardinal jersey. That just screams trying too hard.

Yea I do wonder how big of a shock for him it will be when he realizes he will no longer be treated and known as a "hometown, St. Louis" kid but just another guy around town. Oh well.

Will we be able to find out where the coaches will be during this evaluation period starting tomorrow? That should hopefully clarify who their main targets are.

Yea I do wonder how big of a shock for him it will be when he realizes he will no longer be treated and known as a "hometown, St. Louis" kid but just another guy around town. Oh well.

Will we be able to find out where the coaches will be during this evaluation period starting tomorrow? That should hopefully clarify who their main targets are.

$100 million.... He won't give a f

Most people won't care about him in 12 months. The most popular basket players of the past 30 years from this city are Hughesand Bonner. This chump will just be an after thought in this town no matter how many pictures he poses for wearing a Cardinal jersey. That just screams trying too hard.

I understand we are all disappointed but I doubt this is true. JT is the highest level basketball recruit to come from St. Louis maybe ever. IF he lives up to the hype, he will be more popular than Hughes and Bonner combined. I would agree that he would not be more popular than Hughes & Bonner among SLU fans, for obvious reasons. Anyway, it is hard to measure popularity of NBA players here because this is such an anti-NBA town.

I understand we are all disappointed but I doubt this is true. JT is the highest level basketball recruit to come from St. Louis maybe ever. IF he lives up to the hype, he will be more popular than Hughes and Bonner combined. I would agree that he would not be more popular than Hughes & Bonner among SLU fans, for obvious reasons. Anyway, it is hard to measure popularity of NBA players here because this is such an anti-NBA town.

Honestly don't know if his ceiling is much higher than Beal and the vast majority of the people in St. Louis have no clue who Bradley Beal is. Hell, most basketball fans have forgot Beal was the third pick overall.

Lee was the highest paid player on the NBA champions.

Beal is about to get paid.

Pretty sure neither is sweating his Q rating in the 314.

And neither of them are acting like it is important to them. It seems very important to this guy.

Honestly don't know if his ceiling is much higher than Beal and the vast majority of the people in St. Louis have no clue who Bradley Beal is. Hell, most basketball fans have forgot Beal was the third pick overall.

I don't know if it's a generational thing but people around my age (early twenties) root for Beal because he's an STL kid. A guy they watched in high school is a successful NBA player. To say many don't know him is a bit presumptuous. Don't let your JT salt cloud your judgment

People will root for Tatum in the NBA for sure, but I just don't see him being some kind of legend in the city by the time he retires unless he ends up as an all-time great. Beal is a great player and he gets a couple mentions a year in the paper. Obviously going to SLU would have helped, but it's going to be hard for him to ever be a local legend because of the way the NBA is perceived around here.