Zyree Collins

Zyree is an example of a high school player who will not get as much attention as he would have prior to the portal era.  He's a 6 foot combo guard who can score in a variety of ways.  He has good athleticism but since he plays at his own pace it's hard to assess it. 

That's the kind of player that will be prioritized by some MVC team while higher level programs take a wait and see approach.  If he becomes a star they can always grab him in the portal.  If he doesn't then, they've lost nothing.

Luke Walsh is in the same boat.  He's a little bigger, a little better shooter but not as polished a ball handler or passer as Zyree.

SLURadioBoy and Crewsorlose like this

47 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Are we going to lose him with Tate gone?   Anyone know whats going on with his recruitment. 3 star or not it would be good to have him on board. 

Neither Zyree nor Walsh had any contact from Tate this past season. Tate leaving won't be the reason Zyree doesn't come here. Schertz has been recruiting both as I understand it. 

JMM28 and cgeldmacher like this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Neither Zyree nor Walsh had any contact from Tate this past season. Tate leaving won't be the reason Zyree doesn't come here. Schertz has been recruiting both as I understand it. 

Zyree had an offer from SLU per some websites. Was that from Ford?  And thats good if Josh is on them, you have that confirmed?

4 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Zyree had an offer from SLU per some websites. Was that from Ford?  And thats good if Josh is on them, you have that confirmed?

Both were offered by old staff, but that doesn’t indicate consistent communication.  I know Josh was recruiting them both at Indiana State. So there’s familiarity. I don’t know if he’s re-upped their offer with SLU. 

I saw Tate at a St. Mary's game this year. Now that Ford's gone it's safe to say that players didn't love playing under him. I don't know if Scherz likes Zyree, but odds of him coming to SLU are certainly better than they were under Ford, when it was 0%. 

I've seen Zyree a lot more than Walsh, but I also saw them match up in the playoffs. Zyree's game is so much more advanced than Walsh's, it's not even a comparison. Zyree does not have height (maybe 5/11") or long arms, but he has that ability to bounce of contact that all of the smaller guards need to score at the rim at the higher levels. 

Slaten on 590 AM is not a friend of the program no matter who our head coach is- he was talking about the younger Collins, yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I've seen Zyree a lot more than Walsh, but I also saw them match up in the playoffs. Zyree's game is so much more advanced than Walsh's, it's not even a comparison. Zyree does not have height (maybe 5/11") or long arms, but he has that ability to bounce of contact that all of the smaller guards need to score at the rim at the higher levels. 

The playoff Vianney vs St. Marys game I attended it didn't seem that way. Luke was able to get to the hole through contact just as much as Zyree. Zyree has a much smoother/cleaner shot than Luke in my opinion. I also don't love the antics Luke displays on the court. Its exhausting. Luke also seems to play more for himself than Zyree. Zyree would excel further than Luke in a collegiate system. Just my 2 pennies

18 minutes ago, Young Charles said:

The playoff Vianney vs St. Marys game I attended it didn't seem that way. Luke was able to get to the hole through contact just as much as Zyree. Zyree has a much smoother/cleaner shot than Luke in my opinion. I also don't love the antics Luke displays on the court. Its exhausting. Luke also seems to play more for himself than Zyree. Zyree would excel further than Luke in a collegiate system. Just my 2 pennies

St. Mary's is small and had zero rim protection. Walsh can excel against that. He's a very good HS player. I kind of disagree about the shot. I think he has a great shot. I just don't see the size or athleticism or the skill to be a good player in the Atlantic 10. Zyree is a bit of a risk because of his size but he just has so much in his bag and has superb court vision. 

I also disagree with Slaten about what it means that SLU "isn't recruiting Zyree." Scherz has been here for five minutes. He's desperately trying to get his roster for next season. I'm sure he'll scour the local ranks and I'd be surprised if he doesn't go after Zyree. 

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah, I'm also gonna just need cliffnotes

Essentially, his point is that neither SLU nor Mizzou are currently recruiting Zyree, a point guard here in STL, who’s rumored to be better than his brother Yuri. Travis was. But apparently Josh isn’t, or isn’t yet. 

17 minutes ago, Adman said:

Essentially, his point is that neither SLU nor Mizzou are currently recruiting Zyree, a point guard here in STL, who’s rumored to be better than his brother Yuri. Travis was. But apparently Josh isn’t, or isn’t yet. 

It could certainly work out like that.  Yuri's passing ability was so elite, it was kind of hard to overlook.  With Zyree it's his scoring ability that's elite and college coaches are afraid it may not translate given his size and good, but not great, athletic ability. 

If most of that scoring does translate, Zyree would definitely be the more well-rounded point guard.  His passing isn't Yuri-level but it's a cut above anybody else in the local 2025 class.

We also need to remember that we just brought in a coach that has a certain system.  In my mind, Yuri would not have fit in Schertz's offense.  I'm not sure than anyone who's superskill is slashing to the rim fits Schertz's system if they cannot fill it up from three.  Also, Schertz seems to be valuing size.

22 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We also need to remember that we just brought in a coach that has a certain system.  In my mind, Yuri would not have fit in Schertz's offense.  I'm not sure than anyone who's superskill is slashing to the rim fits Schertz's system if they cannot fill it up from three.  Also, Schertz seems to be valuing size.

Zyree Collins can create his own shot from anywhere. Walsh, getting him now as a role player might be a good move in landing the 7-foot-3 teammate eventually. Good to hear CJS has contacted them.

Young Charles likes this

2 hours ago, Young Charles said:

-Amen to this 

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

St. Mary's is small and had zero rim protection. Walsh can excel against that. He's a very good HS player. I kind of disagree about the shot. I think he has a great shot. I just don't see the size or athleticism or the skill to be a good player in the Atlantic 10. Zyree is a bit of a risk because of his size but he just has so much in his bag and has superb court vision. 

I also disagree with Slaten about what it means that SLU "isn't recruiting Zyree." Scherz has been here for five minutes. He's desperately trying to get his roster for next season. I'm sure he'll scour the local ranks and I'd be surprised if he doesn't go after Zyree. 

-Yep, Slaten throwing a bomb which history tells me is what he does -- what a crazy take 

40 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Zyree Collins can create his own shot from anywhere. Walsh, getting him now as a role player might be a good move in landing the 7-foot-3 teammate eventually. Good to hear CJS has contacted them.

Giving a kid a schollie so you can maybe get a younger teammate is not something that often works out.  Best to offer any kid you think will fit with your but not for other reasons.

7 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Walsh is an elite shooter.  If Schertz can get him to buy into his system, I could see him working out.  A guy who can get his own shot, like Parker or, maybe Zyree, are not as necessary in Schertz’s offense.  You’ll always take them, but they have to be willing to not play hero ball and play the system.

9 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Yuri would have been awesome to watch in any real offense in my opinion 

20 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-Amen to this 

I haven't "seen the kids play" in person, but have read about antics & heard about them from people who have seen Walsh play.  We know Travis Ford had no issues taking guys who had baggage on some level and/or maybe weren't great chemistry guys (Situation 2 guys, Santos, Gordon, Nesbitt, Russell, Parker, Dalger, Ezewiro).  The fact that Ford & staff seemed to cool on Walsh and this stuff is out there gives me pause.  I'm not necessarily lumping Walsh with those guys.  Everyone has their own stuff going on to some degree.  I have zero inside info and we're talking about a kid here, so I feel bad even speculating about it.  I also wonder with a kid like that how well they'd transition to being "just" a role player in college instead of the star of the team.  He is no doubt talented, but is he is the talent worth it?

14 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

Yuri would have been awesome to watch in any real offense in my opinion 

I don't disagree, but his skills would have been highlighted as much in an offense that plays through the big men.

The 17U Brad Beal team will be interesting to follow this summer.  They've got a lot of 2-3 star local guys (Collins, Walsh, Terron Garret, Nick Randall) and not as many 5 stars like Nick Smith, Brandon Miller, etc.  They're really banking on the fact that Zyree is underrated because he's being asked to carry a heavy load.  If that team overachieves it would be a pretty positive indicator for Zyree's ability in college. 

11 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

The 17U Brad Beal team will be interesting to follow this summer.  They've got a lot of 2-3 star local guys (Collins, Walsh, Terron Garret, Nick Randall) and not as many 5 stars like Nick Smith, Brandon Miller, etc.  They're really banking on the fact that Zyree is underrated because he's being asked to carry a heavy load.  If that team overachieves it would be a pretty positive indicator for Zyree's ability in college. 

Good to see them going with the local guys. It’s better when it has the Eagles feel.