2024-25 Roster

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank said on his show that Casey’s commitment is supposed to come today. He mentioned him and Avila playing at the same time with Casey being the 5 and Robbie playing the 4. Not sure if that was his assumption or what Schertz told him. With the way Schertz’s offense doesn’t use traditional positions, it doesn’t really sound like something Schertz would say.

As long as Tate is on staff, Frank will typically be a reliable source for recruiting. He's also texting Schertz directly now - haha!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update with Casey: 2024 Billikens:

Gibson Jimerson 6’5” Sr, 215, Guard Wing, 36 Min, 16 Pts, 2.9 RB, 3Pt% 36, FT% 86 Billikens

Robbie Avila 6’10”240 Jr, Center, 31 Min, 17 Pts, 7 RB, 3Pt% 39m FT% 81 Indiana State

Isaiah Swope 5’10” 170, SR, Guard, 33 Min, 16 Pts, 3 RB, 3Pt% 36, FT% 74 Indiana State

Larry Hughes II 6’4” 185 Jr, Guard, 23 Min, 7 Pts, 2.7 RB, 3 Pt% 35, FT% 77 Billikens

Kellen Thames 6’5” 205, SO, Guard, 19 Min, 6 Pts, 3.7 RB, 3 Pt% 36, FT% 55 Billikens

Josiah Dotzler 6’3” 185, SO, Guard, 4Min, 1 Pts, 0 RB, 3Pt% 18, FT% 60, Creighton

A J Casey 6’9” 221, JR, Forward, 9 Min, 2 Pts, 2 RB, 3Pt% 0, FT% 59, Miami

Freshman:

Max Pikaar 6’11” 205, FR, Power Forward, Double/Double, 3Pt% 40, FT% ?  Netherlands - Sunrise Christian Acaademy (Kansas)

Amari McCottry 6’6” 180, FR, Guard Wing, 22 Pts, 9 RB, St. Thomas More, 247 3*

1 minute ago, Bilzz said:

So what's everyone thinking with remaining four?

Another transfer big

Another transfer guard

Freshman guard

Freshman big?

Yep, that's goal - with the hope that the two more transfers TBD would be starters.

The roster is definitely coming together quickly.

3 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Another transfer big

Another transfer guard

Freshman guard

Freshman big?

Another transfer big -100%

Another transfer guard - 100%

The rest not sure. 

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yep, that's goal - with the hope that the two more transfers TBD would be starters.

The roster is definitely coming together quickly.

Yeah, I guess the wildcard is how Schertz is going to approach playing time. He was only 6 or 7 deep most games at ISU. Does he view Hughes as a starter? Did he bring Dotzler in as the starting 'point guard'? Is Casey going to be the primary back up for Avila or is more of the Jayson Kent role from last year's team? Dotzler, Casey, Thames, and Hughes all seemingly have potential (Thames and Hughes definitely do), but I agree we probably need one more sure-thing for the roster.

I think Schertz is putting together a potentially superb team. I also think he should go over the tapes of his defeat by Seton Hall at the  NIT, and the win of the NCAA tournament by UConn (for the second time in a row). I hope he might manage to combine his playing methods with the way Seton Hall played against him, and the way UConn has been playing the last 2 years. If he manages to do this successfully we might have a very hard to beat team this season.

17 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Another transfer big

Another transfer guard

Freshman guard

Freshman big?

Rebounders, Shooters and Rim Defenders/Shot Blockers

ISU took 50% of their FGA behind the arc.  On the roster today we have four 36% three point shooters and one 39% shooter.  Need another high 30's / low 40's.

With today's roster, I'm not seeing where the boards are coming from.  Avila 6.6 and Thames 3.7 lead the pack.  It would be nice to have someone who could average 8 or so.

The 45 total blocks last season from our current roster isn't enough.  Last season the Bills had 101 blocks, which wasn't sufficient.  Neither Thames (4) nor Hughes (3) showed much blocking the rim. Avila had 24 blocks, Jimerson 7, Casey 6, Swope 1 and Dotzler 0.

Bilzz likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

ISU took 50% of their FGA behind the arc.  On the roster today we have four 36% three point shooters and one 39% shooter.  Need another high 30's / low 40's.

With today's roster, I'm not seeing where the boards are coming from.  Avila 6.6 and Thames 3.7 lead the pack.  It would be nice to have someone who could average 8 or so.

The 45 total blocks last season from our current roster isn't enough.  Last season the Bills had 101 blocks, which wasn't sufficient.  Neither Thames (4) nor Hughes (3) showed much blocking the rim. Avila had 24 blocks, Jimerson 7, Casey 6, Swope 1 and Dotzler 0.

Why are you limiting the sample size on 3 point shooting to only last season?  Here are the career shooting numbers:

Jimerson: 39.5%

Swope: 38.4%

Avila: 37.2%

Hughes: 36.5%

Thames (small sample): 35.1%

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Worth noting that Thames rebounding per 100 is 11 per game.  The thought of finding someone who has the rebounding ISU had in Kent may not be as hard to make up as it sounds.  Also AJ's per 100 is 12 per game, although his minutes make it harder for me to feel comfortable about relying on it . 

21 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Why are you limiting the sample size on 3 point shooting to only last season?  Here are the career shooting numbers:

Jimerson: 39.5%

Swope: 38.4%

Avila: 37.2%

Hughes: 36.5%

Thames (small sample): 35.1%

Good question.  I'm looking at last season.  That's a pretty good sample size for me.  I don't look at HS stats either. 

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Worth noting that Thames rebounding per 100 is 11 per game.  The thought of finding someone who has the rebounding ISU had in Kent may not be as hard to make up as it sounds.  Also AJ's per 100 is 12 per game, although his minutes make it harder for me to feel comfortable about relying on it . 

I'm looking at actual production, not extrapolated production.  Besides Avila, Jimerson and Swope, minutes per player for next season are wild guesses.  Those three will have high usage.  I would like to see more proven rebounders on the roster.  Maybe that's just me.  (BTW, I'm a huge fan of Thames.  I'm certainly hoping he has a stellar season.)

I'll also state that with 1/2 shots behind the arc, rebounds are less predictive.  Missed three pointers typically aren't rebounded right at the rim.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Swope was shooting 40% till right around the time of the leg injury, shooting went downhill after that. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Swope was shooting 40% till right around the time of the leg injury, shooting went downhill after that. 

And he ended up at 36%.  It happens.

If half our shots are from behind the arc, I'd like another proven shooter on the roster. 

I will place a doubt on your heads about the stats, I hope. Let's say that a coach, like Ford, tells a player to stay at a corner to shoot 3s. If he does not do this, Ford sits the player at the bench. Do you think the stats for last season show the real potential of this particular player to block or do all kinds of other things? Of course not. Avila' s and Swope's stats for last season are reasonably valid for the coming season one because the coach is the same. Even though the other players are not, at least the stats for these two players this season should be close enough to last season because they are players under the same coach. No one else in the team will have the same stats this season with a new coach and new players, for most of the team. 

We should expect different stats this season, probably very different stats because Schertz is a real coach, let's not talk about Ford any more.

To have similar stats between seasons, the conditions controlling the play (coach, other players, etc,) have to be as similar as possible, if they are not, we should not expect the stats from the past season to be applicable to the coming one.

I am looking forward to a much better coming season for the Bills, with better player stats this year.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

And he ended up at 36%.  It happens.

If half our shots are from behind the arc, I'd like another proven shooter on the roster. 

I'll go with Cheney's 1% doctrine over "half" on my 3's :)

D worries me. A10 guards lick their chops when we’re their next game up. Remember Rick’s mantra Defend and Rebound. He got this from Al McGuire who said something like offense is like a flighty girlfriend. Hot and Cold. But D and Boards are the constants. 

Billikitty7 likes this

42 minutes ago, slu72 said:

D worries me. A10 guards lick their chops when we’re their next game up. Remember Rick’s mantra Defend and Rebound. He got this from Al McGuire who said something like offense is like a flighty girlfriend. Hot and Cold. But D and Boards are the constants. 

UConn had a very good offense.  Purdue would tell you that UConn won the championship because of their defense.