13 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Uh oh. Is Ahearn back in play?

Murkens is clearly an act. Richmond Heights VFW bar is the best. Used to dominate that scene in my late 20s. Everyone should add a Jack and Coke/photohunt/secondhand smoke at RH VFW to their bucket list. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

How old is old guy 

This is a fact, not conjecture. After age 65 the people that die first are those with the greatest disease burden already present. Those that live the longest have the smallest disease burden present at age 65. Do not worry about this everybody develops a level of disease burden as they age and at the  same time your organs age and lose functional reserves. This is an ongoing process, NOBODY can avoid it. Of course there are those that die earlier than they  could have from accidents or homicide.

A fair number of old people reach age 70, and a large portion of everybody reaching age 70 may reach age 80. However the vast majority of those reaching age 80 will die of various causes before they reach age 90. And IF you reach age 90 the probability of getting to age 100 is negligible. The state of Ohio did a survey in the early 2000's trying to find how many centenarians were alive in  Ohio,  they found a grand total of 132. Ohio has a lot of people in it. People reaching age 100 are a rarity. 

The old lady reaching 100 was interviewed by the press. She was asked what was best about being 100. She said "No peer pressure."

Joking aside, I am close to 80 and being realistic, I do not think I am likely to reach 90. Am I concerned?, hell no. You cannot stop nature.

Ironbills likes this

23 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I really really want to know just how old he is at this point. I'm sure he's very nice in person. I know many folks who are near intolerable online, but are lovely in person.

05?

22 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This is a fact, not conjecture. After age 65 the people that die first are those with the greatest disease burden already present. Those that live the longest have the smallest disease burden present at age 65. Do not worry about this everybody develops a level of disease burden as they age and at the  same time your organs age and lose functional reserves. This is an ongoing process, NOBODY can avoid it. Of course there are those that die earlier than they  could have from accidents or homicide.

A fair number of old people reach age 70, and a large portion of everybody reaching age 70 may reach age 80. However the vast majority of those reaching age 80 will die of various causes before they reach age 90. And IF you reach age 90 the probability of getting to age 100 is negligible. The state of Ohio did a survey in the early 2000's trying to find how many centenarians were alive in  Ohio,  they found a grand total of 132. Ohio has a lot of people in it. People reaching age 100 are a rarity. 

The old lady reaching 100 was interviewed by the press. She was asked what was best about being 100. She said "No peer pressure."

Joking aside, I am close to 80 and being realistic, I do not think I am likely to reach 90. Am I concerned?, hell no. You cannot stop nature.

@Old guy is old because he doesn’t like the alternative.

16 hours ago, almaman said:

speaking of what's happened with graduation rates? that used 2b big stat when talking about MCBB.  never hear of it anymore. true colors shining thru in NIL era show me da $$$$$

I just Googled & apparently APR (academic progress rate) is still a thing.  I had no idea because I haven't heard about it in a decade.  Maybe they stopped punishing teams for it being too low?

There is even a searchable database for a coach's APR (https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/coachAprSearch)

Travis Ford

2021-22 955

2020-21 979

I guess they didn't count 2019-20

2018-19 938

2017-18 857

Josh Schertz 

2021-22 957

2020-21 978

Finally to show that APR still bullsh*t

Penny Hardaway

2021-22 1000

5 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'll have to check that one out. I read "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell, while interesting there were no conclusions about how to use the knowledge to make better decisions. So it was fairly unfulfilling.

Also I used to think old guy was a put on but I heard people have met him and he's real.

Hey ABomb, there are multiple levels of popular writing about scientific topics. Let me use 3 basic levels with books and authors to explain:

1. Malcolm Gladwell. He tells a story that digs into real science but his work is primarily storytelling. You can call his work very readable and very interesting but it does not go deep enough to explain what is going on in a depth that makes the process understandable or applicable. Blink, David and Goliath

2. David Eagleman. He is not telling a story, he is talking about science but at a level that it is likeable at a popular level, and gives enough scientific detail, which goes back in history to the beginning of science, but without causing the reader to feel buried in concepts that are strange and hard to combine. After reading his work you probably understand enough of the processes to apply them superficially at least. Incognito, Sum.

3. Daniel Kahneman. This is the real thing. He never set out to write popular science he set out to write stuff that was published in professional journals, Science, and Nature. Out of his many papers came his book, which is very dense and hard to read but which contains real applicable information. By the way Kahneman was an officer in the IDF dealing with psychology and how to use it to predict outcomes, including combat outcomes. You might like this one if you have the time and patience to spend more than a month reading his book. He was awarded a Nobel prize in economics and his book was a part of the award. It is very dense, know that. Thinking Fast and Slow. 

So, you have your choice of level to choose from. Please do not start by Kahneman. I had some trouble piecing it up together. 

Have fun and enjoy, yes, leaning is fun.

18 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hey ABomb, there are multiple levels of popular writing about scientific topics. Let me use 3 basic levels with books and authors to explain:

Thanks for the breakdown, I'm a scientist.  @SluSignGuy and I discussed last weekend that's we're in the hardest science, political science. So follow me for more science facts.

I grew up in Maine back in the 60’s when UConn played in the old Yankee Conf with the other 5 New England state U’s. They were nothing special ,although CT had some great HS players who went elsewhere. If they had played in the old 60’s MVC they would have been killed.

So, how did they become the UCLA of this century? Coaches! Calhoun was great. And now Hurley. Refresh my memory did Hurley ever do much at URI other than piss off the crowd? Yet, here they are sitting atop the world of college hoops. Point being, get the right guy, and just about any school can become a power. 

Hurley spent six years at URI after two years at Wagner.  He went 113 - 82 overall for .579 and went 58 - 46 in conference for .558.  He finished first in the conference in his last year there but went 51 - 18 in his last two years, making it to the Round of 32 in each.  He then moved on to Uconn.

13 hours ago, Old guy said:

Wiz, computers work processing data which is actually defined by prior events and actions. People do not, people have a conscious part, which is what determine actual events,  and a vast subconscious part which determines how to define what is passed down and creates the conscious level. We, people living in a conscious world, have little knowledge of what is going on in the subconscious. However the subconscious is the determinant part of our perceptions and knowledge. What we consider reality, is only real up to a point.

Read "Incognito" by David Eagleman. He is a neuroscientist at Baylor and leads the Laboratory for Perception and Action as well as the Initiative on Neuroscience and Law.  Very interesting, this short book really raises questions about how people make up their minds about everything. This is NOT the concept that people act to improve their lives, what determines how people believe and act like is done in a very different and hard to understand subconscious manner. Cheap read, $15 in paperback, Vantage Press, very worthwhile read. 

You are right ...computers use past data to make forecasts.  And people tend to do the same things over and over hoping for different results.  After awhile the changes become predictable too....Let's keep the weave going a little longer and see if we can generate some more offense. As the computer gathers  more data on  players and coaches,   games become  more predictable.  Once I have 8 games under my belt, I can start to zero in on outcomes.  

As for the "people" part,  that will become less important as Artificial Intelligence reaches singularity and the machines become smarter than us. Machines may be the Coaches of the future. But even before that happens , AI will take over the message  boards.  There will be an AI Old Guy. It will study the thought patterns and writing style of Old Guy  and then produce OG posts ...nonstop... causing all AI MBMs to put AI OG on ignore.

Of course, there could be an AI Wiz ...or has that already happened.....HAL is that you??

Wiz, you are giving, at least the current generation of AI, a power that it plainly does not have. The current AIs have a great deal of capability doing surveillance and marketing guidance towards specific goals determined by the AI company, rather than by the user. I consider them primarily a marketing tool /surveillance tool. 

I really do not think it is a matter of the AI machines becoming smarter than us. I think it is more of a surrender by people of the power of their own thinking, and choosing instead the easy advice provided by the machine. In other word we, the people, are abandoning our ability for original thinking and seeking for solutions to actual problems. and following the advise provided by the machine, We are becoming stupider than the machines, not the other way around. And yes, as long as people follow the advice of the AI they will slowly become dumber than the machine, and will be easier to predict and get them to buy specific products.

Your example of continuing to do the weave every new season hoping to get better results somehow is a prime example of stupidity. This is something that a coaching AI programmed after Ford's coaching would be likely to do because that is what he did. Of course, your computer would find it easier to predict outcomes for a team using this "Ford" AI as long as the team continues doing the weave and hoping for the better every season. As far as an OG AI goes, I do not think such an AI will be programmable to reproduce my thought patterns, although it may copy my writing style. I

The ChatGPT AI is artificial but it is not intelligent or capable of original thought. However, it is effective as a marketing and surveillance tool. 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:24 AM, The Wiz said:

I was going to let this slide by as I thought why beat on Ford anymore. And then I thought it might be a good idea to show the upside of Schertz. 

So the simply answer is Schertz wins more games...but you knew that already.  But as I know, the computer never gives simple answers. And it is the additional info that is interesting.  

First interesting fact was the computer thought that at the beginning of the season the BIlls  had the better team ...not because we were great but that ISU was just a so so team.

Point 1...Schertz takes a so so team and moves them to NET 29 

Point 2...In the 1st game  of the season , I have SLU play ISU...Bills over ISU by 3 on a neutral court.

Point 3...I have SLU play ISU today....ISU over The Bills by 11 on a neutral court.

I could stop here but let's keep going...

Point 4...Coaches now switch teams...a lot of ifs here  but in the end the Coach is responsible for whatever happens...even things beyond his control.

Point 5...ISU starts off promisingly with CTF but the season starts to fade due to a variety of reasons...some explainable ...some not. (not the least of which we are living in an alternate universe) ...ISU finishes 10th in MVC ahead of Valpo and UIC...no post season but Ford says he has a plan.

Point 6 ... The Bills have a lot of promise and start the season well but have some things go wrong ...players missing... injuries...but continue to hang on and win some close games that don't seem winnable.(in another universe they are not winnable) KenPom adds an extra margin to the Bills spread calling it the "luck " factor. Bills finish the season in 1st place AND go on to win the A10 tourney too and get the auto bid...the NCAA  still gives an at large bid to Dayton (because they can)...Bills receive a 7th seed in the bracket.

Point 7...Back to the original question...who has more wins...Schertz...

Bottom line... The preceding was a series of simulations. You may agree with all of it ...some of it... or none of it but in the final analysis the computer says ....we are getting a better Coach.

In this hypothetical, the only way Shertz can run his 5 out offense, is with Tj at the 5. Because our current bigs don't shoot 3s. So we would play a very small 5 out line up. 

So maybe Tj, Thames, Gibby, Curcic and Medley.  Hughes as the 6th man. 

I think we had enough outside shooting gaurds for the 5 out but woefully short of the key outside shooting and passing 5.