6 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-Cuonzo? what happened to McCollum?

Just what I read on Twitter, but apparently McCollum asked for some reasonable upgrades to facilities/budget type stuff, and was told no, so he told them he wasn’t joining a program that wasn’t committed to winning. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Just what I read on Twitter, but apparently McCollum asked for some reasonable upgrades to facilities/budget type stuff, and was told no, so he told them he wasn’t joining a program that wasn’t committed to winning. 

Mo state never made sense. In the interview with McCollum a while back that was posted here, the question was asked what schools needed to have for you to consider going to, and said they needed to be in position to win the conference. Mo state is far from that(although losing Schertz and Devries is a start).

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Mo state never made sense. In the interview with McCollum a while back that was posted here, the question was asked what schools needed to have for you to consider going to, and said they needed to be in position to win the conference. Mo state is far from that(although losing Schertz and Devries is a start).

I don't think he WANTS a D1 job. He has had chance after chance and theres always something just not right with it. 

Just now, wgstl said:

MO State should be one of the top jobs in the MVC.  They should be in contention for the title every year, but they just can't get their act together.  

JMM28 and cgeldmacher like this

I often tell people that online is not the real world. Death threats are uncalled for but I'm not surprised at all.  Means nothing, if D May loses a game at Michigan somewhere online there will be a death threat. 

But I'm not concerned about Schertz to UofL.  At least not right now. That hire will have their fan base angry.  See when Tennessee was imminently hiring Butch Jones and they blew up so the deal didn't go through.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2017/12/01/john-currie-fired-tennessee-athletic-director/898378001/

I'm very surprised about Alford and SMS. He has quite the buyout as far as I can tell. So I didn't think he'd be a viable candidate.

3 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I really feel bad for ISU fans and, assuming what we've heard is true, hope they win the NIT. I'm fine waiting another week or so.

But I feel particularly bad for some of their more delusional fans on the Sycamore board who think Schertz should stick around because he is the "toast of the town" (Pop 58,000) instead of making a "lateral" move to SLU. Is SLU in a P5 conference? No. Is it a lateral move? As Trilly Donovan said, "hardly".

I mean, just off the top of my head:

1. General resources/school support - SLU - For all of the crap we give him, Freddy P has done a decent job navigating this tricky landscape

2. Basketball spending - SLU - I believe ISU spent roughly $2.5M versus SLU's $8M last year. We obviously know head coaching salaries aren't even close either. 

3. Facilities - SLU - Hulman is nice however Chaifetz is nicer. Not to mention our brand new $20M Champions Center

4. Boosters/Donors - SLU - Not even close. Chaifetz isn't the only billionaire that cares about SLU basketball or the school. Comparing endowments: ISU $110M versus SLU's $1.4 BILLION

5. NIL - SLU - Going to assume Schertz was given assurances that boosters would not only empty the briefcases for his starting 5 but for additional recruits/transfers this year and beyond.

6. Market - SLU - Terre Haute is the 159th ranked tv market. St. Louis is 21. Additionally, the A10 exposes you to the following tv markets: Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, New York City, Pittsburgh, Richmond, etc.  I guess the Valley held onto the Chicago market with UIC and now has Nashville. But outside of that it's Des Moines and Springfield?

7. Conference* - SLU - A10 ranked higher in KenPom and RPI. Last year was the first time in 2 decades the A10 only had one team in the tournament. Gone are the days of 3-4 every year but the A10 should remain a 2+ bid league. Loyola Chicago moved to the A10 because they knew it was a superior conference.  It also sounds like the big knock on ISU was non-con SOS. Going to be hard getting P5 schools to play in Terre Haute. SLU doesn't have that issue. Recent HOME games (I'm Sure I'm missing some): Auburn, LSU, NC State, Memphis....

8. Local recruiting - SLU - St. Louis metro has an abundance of talent and Ford was able to snag a handful of those 4-star talents (shame he just didn't know how to coach them!). Would love to see what Schertz could with them.

*With Pestello retiring next year, now is the time to get a president in there who will make the Big East their goal. We need someone who sees how valuable a BE landing spot would be not just for the sports programs but for the school in general. I'm sure this was also discussed during conversations with Schertz.

Oh, and no crappy football team at SLU to suck away resources. 

SLU is the 5th largest metro and tv market in the A10 with Pittsburgh (Duquesne) being a little close to them at 6.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Ace, i understand and you have a reasonable concern.   most of us have a softspot for our alma mater.   but keep in mind Schertz's bad experience leaving tennis and the way he was treated by his own family.   i.e. beyond school, florida doesnt necessarily have all great memories for him.  

to qualify my above statement.   that is just my opinion after reading his background and watching the interview that abomb posted about a week ago on Coach Schertz.   no where have i read or heard Schertz say he has a problem or apprehension about returning to florida.  

I believe Coach Schertz is all but a done deal.   probably just need a signature to the agreed to verbal agreement.   

the thing i have a hard time believing is the general belief that he will bring his starting 5 with him.  i cant think of a single situation where a coach even brought 2 or 3 players with him when he switched schools let alone 5!   i will believe that when it happens.  

Odom took two of his starters with him from Utah State to VCU.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

He took himself out of the running.  

This happens when you drag the search out.  Coaches don't like waiting and then having to say I didn't get the job so they withdraw and then it was their decision not the school

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

SLU is the 5th largest metro and tv market in the A10 with Pittsburgh (Duquesne) being a little close to them at 6.

I believe you but could you list the 4 - I got Chicago, Philly, and New York.  

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This happens when you drag the search out.  Coaches don't like waiting and then having to say I didn't get the job so they withdraw and then it was their decision not the school

And it happens when schools aren’t committed to giving a coach the resources to be competitive.

This whole thing is making me uneasy. SLU and Josh Schertz are hardly being used in the same sentence on Twitter anymore.

Here we are, putting all of this thought into it, while Josh Schertz is back in Terre Haute, probably arguing with his wife about whether to go to Sonic or White Castle for dinner.

Stu putting out the plan B article seems so stupid. You’d think May would tell him to put a damn sock in it if Schertz is all but official. It seems like our local media is genuinely trying to sabotage this program. 

laker119 likes this

Latest from Louisville 247 site Jody Demling:

Here's a quick little update:

**From what I know as of now there are no offers on the table to any candidates.

**Josh Heird has been talking to a folks connected to candidates and people in the basketball world all day trying to get more information on guys, etc.... Like I said last night, I really do think he went back to square one on this.

**At this point, I would say Indiana State coach Josh Shertz is still the frontrunner for the job. I don't get the storng vibes that I did last night, but he's still up there.

**I also get the vibes that Seton Hall coach Shaheen Holloway is still on the list, just not sure how high. I would move Pat Kelsey down a bit on the list. Am thinking the Kelsey talk is going to die down from here on out.

**I also believe there's a new name to watch. I don't know how serious at this point but there has been some contact with Richard Pitino.

Again, not sure how serious it is on either side but something to monitor. I said last night and I still feel there will be another name or two surface before it's done.