25 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

The SLU WBB team played a holiday tournament at FAU in 2018.   Three things I remember are that Dr C was there and was very friendly, my wife accidentally stumbled in to Coach Stone, who then complimented her on her shoes, and that the FAU Basketball facility was pure trash.   About on par with a low D1, decent D 2 arena.   Their baseball facility next door, while miles above ours, is really terrible, considering the amazing history of excellence they have had.    

I grew up 3 miles from that campus and played many games at that park including a number of high school games.  I was there in October with my family and I took my boys to see the campus. I was amazed that the facility did not change at all,  it has been almost 30 years and it looks almost exactly the same.  Pretty sad for how good of a program they have. Their coach, McCormack has been there almost that entire time as an assistant and head man.  Shocked how they haven't done much to that place.

OkieBilliken likes this

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

I grew up 3 miles from that campus and played many games at that park including a number of high school games.  I was there in October with my family and I took my boys to see the campus. I was amazed that the facility did not change at all,  it has been almost 30 years and it looks almost exactly the same.  Pretty sad for how good of a program they have. Their coach, McCormack has been there almost that entire time as an assistant and head man.  Shocked how they haven't done much to that place.

I went to an FAU baseball game this year, when I was down in South Florida for Cardinals spring training.   That baseball facility has just got rustier and more decrepit since my last visit.  I thought they would have massively upgraded that basketball arena with all that Final Four money, but not so much.  

DirtyRican likes this

42 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Who are you referring to in the second paragraph? Jimerson?

I was guessing it was an assistant coach or other staff member but you're suggestion is much more intriguing.

My group chat just informed me that SLU is planning on hiring a coach for next season! But the people I fly to away games with told me that SLU isn't sure yet who it will be! That being said, some connections I have within the athletic department have told me they do have a single candidate. On the other hand, some very wealthy boosters I know told me they're still checking in on multiple candidates! The future is a blue/green sun/sky for the Billikens despite the hazy outlook from the Sycamores season continuing! 

43 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

You ever think that just maybe a contract is already signed with agreement it starts after the Indiana State season has concluded?  That's my guess.

Anything is possible but as they say you hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  Let me ask you this - if it is a done deal as some think then why is his name still popping up?  Yes I guess you could say they don't know anything but what if they do?

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Schertz is expected to be SLU’s Head Coach. The deal was negotiated St. Patrick’s Day Weekend, and, it was finalized last Tuesday. 

For the 2nd straight year, those involved with SLU’s Head Coaching decision reached out to Chris Mack to gauge his interest.There was a specific group of SLU boosters/donors who reached out to Porter Moser regarding the job. Those people were very confident about Moser. When I refer to boosters/donors, these are recent 7 figure and up donor/boosters. 

Schertz, DeVries, Byington, Drew were the other list of names. SLU didn’t have to go past Schertz because they knew for some time, through Kyle Bowlsby, among others, that Schertz was interested in the SLU job. Byington has a connection with Kevin Eastman. Drew had interest for the 2nd time. There were some other names beyond that if it came to that. But it didn’t even get to the above names.

Blake Ahearn was not a candidate for the job. He was never considered during the recent process. Last year there was a group of boosters that wanted him to replace Ford. And they made enough of a fuss that it had to be addressed. At no time was Niele Ivey a candidate for the SLU Men’s Basketball position. She also is a former St. Louisan who was an NBA assistant to Taylor Jenkins. (after 11 years as a college assistant). Good luck to Niele as her team tries for their 3rd straight Sweet 16 this afternoon. 

A very small group of decision making SLU boosters/donors and a small group of SLU Admin handled the new SLU head coach hiring process. That included an additional familiar to many SLU employee that hasn’t been publicly mentioned. The mutual interest with Schertz was for several weeks. It was negotiated, finalized, and it’s been waiting to be announced. Bart Lundy and Cuonzo are two of the names contacted by Indiana State through a search firm to gauge interest as possible replacements there.

For reference and perspective, Grant McCasland was hired by Texas Tech last year. It wasn’t announced until March 31st, in part because his previous team, North Texas, won the NIT Championship. 

If true then great - go ISU

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Christian Nitu | 6-11 | Forward | Uplay, Canada | Fort Erie International Academy

Nitu comes from our neighbors to the north. Nitu participated in the NBA's Basketball Without Borders Global Camp; the camp has featured current NBA-standouts like
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Joel Embiid. Nitu also competed for Team Canada in the u17 World Cup and was on the Biosteel All-Canadian Team.

Coach Schertz spoke about Nitu:

"Christian is one of the most unique players I have ever seen, his combination of size, skill and mobility is incredibly rare. On top of that he's a ferocious competitor who is obsessed with the game of basketball, so he's a perfect for our Indiana State basketball culture. Christian has a level of versatility on both ends of the floor that will provide us with incredible flexibility as we see him as someone who can play with another big or operate as a standalone big himself. He's a special talent with huge ambitions and a work ethic to match, and I can't wait to partner with him to help him reach his ceiling."

Holds offers from AZ st, Creighton, Illinois, Mississippi St, Pitt, TCU, and UNLV. 

Also found it interesting when surprised to see our lone commit not de-commit yet,  05 pointed out that he also held an offer from Schertz and ISU. 

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Ace, i understand and you have a reasonable concern.   most of us have a softspot for our alma mater.   but keep in mind Schertz's bad experience leaving tennis and the way he was treated by his own family.   i.e. beyond school, florida doesnt necessarily have all great memories for him.  

to qualify my above statement.   that is just my opinion after reading his background and watching the interview that abomb posted about a week ago on Coach Schertz.   no where have i read or heard Schertz say he has a problem or apprehension about returning to florida.  

I believe Coach Schertz is all but a done deal.   probably just need a signature to the agreed to verbal agreement.   

the thing i have a hard time believing is the general belief that he will bring his starting 5 with him.  i cant think of a single situation where a coach even brought 2 or 3 players with him when he switched schools let alone 5!   i will believe that when it happens.  

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Ace, i understand and you have a reasonable concern.   most of us have a softspot for our alma mater.   but keep in mind Schertz's bad experience leaving tennis and the way he was treated by his own family.   i.e. beyond school, florida doesnt necessarily have all great memories for him.  

to qualify my above statement.   that is just my opinion after reading his background and watching the interview that abomb posted about a week ago on Coach Schertz.   no where have i read or heard Schertz say he has a problem or apprehension about returning to florida.  

I believe Coach Schertz is all but a done deal.   probably just need a signature to the agreed to verbal agreement.   

the thing i have a hard time believing is the general belief that he will bring his starting 5 with him.  i cant think of a single situation where a coach even brought 2 or 3 players with him when he switched schools let alone 5!   i will believe that when it happens.  

I agree that it’s likely done.  His name keeps popping up but that is speculation from random outlets.  I think Louisville will end up with a “name” like Scott Drew or Jerome Tang, or up and comer like McMillan or Sprinkle.

i think Sprinkle brought quite a few players with him to Utah State.  More than 2-3 is rare, but the fact ISU’s top 6 still have eligibility is usual too.

I really feel bad for ISU fans and, assuming what we've heard is true, hope they win the NIT. I'm fine waiting another week or so.

But I feel particularly bad for some of their more delusional fans on the Sycamore board who think Schertz should stick around because he is the "toast of the town" (Pop 58,000) instead of making a "lateral" move to SLU. Is SLU in a P5 conference? No. Is it a lateral move? As Trilly Donovan said, "hardly".

I mean, just off the top of my head:

1. General resources/school support - SLU - For all of the crap we give him, Freddy P has done a decent job navigating this tricky landscape

2. Basketball spending - SLU - I believe ISU spent roughly $2.5M versus SLU's $8M last year. We obviously know head coaching salaries aren't even close either. 

3. Facilities - SLU - Hulman is nice however Chaifetz is nicer. Not to mention our brand new $20M Champions Center

4. Boosters/Donors - SLU - Not even close. Chaifetz isn't the only billionaire that cares about SLU basketball or the school. Comparing endowments: ISU $110M versus SLU's $1.4 BILLION

5. NIL - SLU - Going to assume Schertz was given assurances that boosters would not only empty the briefcases for his starting 5 but for additional recruits/transfers this year and beyond.

6. Market - SLU - Terre Haute is the 159th ranked tv market. St. Louis is 21. Additionally, the A10 exposes you to the following tv markets: Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, New York City, Pittsburgh, Richmond, etc.  I guess the Valley held onto the Chicago market with UIC and now has Nashville. But outside of that it's Des Moines and Springfield? SLU basketball is also the highest level of hoops in a metro of almost 3M people. 

7. Conference* - SLU - A10 ranked higher in KenPom and RPI. Last year was the first time in 2 decades the A10 only had one team in the tournament. Gone are the days of 3-4 every year but the A10 should remain a 2+ bid league. Loyola Chicago moved to the A10 because they knew it was a superior conference.  It also sounds like the big knock on ISU was non-con SOS. Going to be hard getting P5 schools to play in Terre Haute. SLU doesn't have that issue. Recent HOME games (I'm Sure I'm missing some): Auburn, LSU, NC State, Memphis....

8. Local recruiting - SLU - St. Louis metro has an abundance of talent and Ford was able to snag a handful of those 4-star talents (shame he just didn't know how to coach them!). Would love to see what Schertz could with them.

*With Pestello retiring next year, now is the time to get a president in there who will make the Big East their goal. We need someone who sees how valuable a BE landing spot would be not just for the sports programs but for the school in general. I'm sure this was also discussed during conversations with Schertz.

Oh, and no crappy football team at SLU to suck away resources. 

7 minutes ago, TRN said:

I agree that it’s likely done.  His name keeps popping up but that is speculation from random outlets.  I think Louisville will end up with a “name” like Scott Drew or Jerome Tang, or up and comer like McMillan or Sprinkle.

i think Sprinkle brought quite a few players with him to Utah State.  More than 2-3 is rare, but the fact ISU’s top 6 still have eligibility is usual too.

Sprinkle took the Washington job today.

6 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I really feel bad for ISU fans and, assuming what we've heard is true, hope they win the NIT. I'm fine waiting another week or so.

But I feel particularly bad for some of their more delusional fans on the Sycamore board who think Schertz should stick around because he is the "toast of the town" (Pop 58,000) instead of making a "lateral" move to SLU. Is SLU in a P5 conference? No. Is it a lateral move? As Trilly Donovan said, "hardly".

I mean, just off the top of my head:

1. General resources - SLU - For all of the crap we give him, Freddy P has done a decent job navigating this tricky landscape

2. Basketball spending - SLU - I believe ISU spent roughly $2.5M versus SLU's $8M last year. We obviously know head coaching salaries aren't even close either. 

3. Facilities - SLU - Hulman is nice however Chaifetz is nicer. Not to mention our brand new $20M Champions Center

4. Boosters/Donors - SLU - Not even close. Chaifetz isn't the only billionaire that cares about SLU basketball or the school. Comparing endowments: ISU $110M versus SLU's $1.4 BILLION

5. NIL - SLU - Going to assume Schertz was given assurances that boosters would not only empty the briefcases for his starting 5 but for additional recruits/transfers this year and beyond.

6. Market - SLU - Terre Haute is the 159th ranked tv market. St. Louis is 21. Additionally, the A10 exposes you to the following tv markets: Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, New York City, Pittsburgh, Richmond, etc.  I guess the Valley held onto the Chicago market with UIC and now has Nashville. But outside of that it's Des Moines and Springfield?

7. Conference* - SLU - A10 ranked higher in KenPom and RPI. Last year was the first time in 2 decades the A10 only had one team in the tournament. Gone are the days of 3-4 every year but the A10 should remain a 2+ bid league. 

8. Local recruiting - SLU - St. Louis metro has an abundance of talent and Ford was able to snag a handful of those 4-star talents (shame he just didn't know how to coach them!). Would love to see what Schertz could with them.

*With Pestello retiring next year, now is the time to get a president in there who will make the Big East their goal. We need someone who sees how valuable a BE landing spot would be not just for the sports programs but for the school in general. I'm sure this was also discussed during conversations with Schertz.

Oh, and no crappy football team at SLU to suck away resources. 

this should be required reading by all.  paticularly the hand wringers.  

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I can't imagine Schertz talking to any of his players before this is announced. So my view is that any of his current players joining SLU, is pure speculation. That said, this could be the perfect storm. The key players are not seniors, transferring is easy AND SLU is rumored to have NIL money. The players get to step up in conference with their coach, in the system they flourish in and get paid. Otherwise transferring is risky business.

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

I was guessing it was an assistant coach or other staff member but you're suggestion is much more intriguing.

Very likely Tate. It sounds like he is the only current assistant getting consideration to stay.

@billiken_roy English took 3 GMU players to Providence just last year and had a decent season.  Oduro was really good, Fernandez and Gaines were not impact transfers.

So I would think ballpark 3 transfers. Not all 5.

This is the thing I think will be handled after the NIT. He'll want to meet with our current players and watch tape.  That takes time he doesn't have right now. Like I posted before at least one wants to stay and is waiting on that decision.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Holds offers from AZ st, Creighton, Illinois, Mississippi St, Pitt, TCU, and UNLV. 

Also found it interesting when surprised to see our lone commit not de-commit yet,  05 pointed out that he also held an offer from Schertz and ISU. 

A stretch big - very intriguing.

wgstl likes this

That hire makes me think Mack to USF is a real possibility. They're waiting on Abdur-Rahim to be hired away.  

47 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

@billiken_roy English took 3 GMU players to Providence just last year and had a decent season.  Oduro was really good, Fernandez and Gaines were not impact transfers.

So I would think ballpark 3 transfers. Not all 5.

This is the thing I think will be handled after the NIT. He'll want to meet with our current players and watch tape.  That takes time he doesn't have right now. Like I posted before at least one wants to stay and is waiting on that decision.

GmU wasn’t all that great, so taking 5 to a harder conference would have been a nightmare for a coach to start off with. Opposite of this situation. Still agree that it’s hard to assume a number as high as 5, but they do seem loyal to JC based off of that ISU fans have been saying 

3 hours ago, courtside said:

A very small group of decision making SLU boosters/donors and a small group of SLU Admin handled the new SLU head coach hiring process. That included an additional familiar to many SLU employee that hasn’t been publicly mentioned.

Now having a fun time picturing literally any of my former professors being included in this coaching search. Small group of powerful boosters… and a random Arts&Sciences prof there to ensure the coach’s philosophy aligns with Ignatian Pedagogy. 

Per Louisville ESPN radio host - Schertz told him that Dusty May was going to go Louisville but got death threats from Louisville fans (on potentially accepting or rejecting the offer). Apparently Schertz and Dusty May are close. The host is also saying Schertz is likely choice for Louisville.