57 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I listened to the Opening Drive and the last two segments of today's show, and I don't know what you are upset about, unless it is the other two segments.

Frank stated he talked on the phone to several people actively involved with the search.  He stated Schertz has talked directly (not through his agent) to Dr. Chaifetz, Fred P, Chris May and Joe Conran.  Apparently Schertz won't accept any job until his team is out of the NIT.  He is still in the running for other jobs.

Frank asked Dr. Chaifetz if he 'was your guy'.  Chaifetz reportedly said, "We are talking to other coaches, some who are coaching in the NCAA Tourney."  The only other name that Frank and Rammer talked about was Bryce Drew.  Bob commented that Grand Canyon has several Dr. Chaifetz level backers.

Corey Tate, as current Interim Coach, goes to the office each day.  So does Harriman.  Jimerson is interested in staying, but hasn't committed.  (He apparently likes Coach Tate.)

Parker has heard from quite a few P6 schools. 

Outside of the SLU talk, the story on the Iowa lineman was interesting.  This football player originally committed to Iowa but flipped to Alabama on signing day.  At the beginning of the Jan portal, he transferred to Iowa.  Now, 3 months later, he is transferring back to Alabama.

I’m interested in your reaction. Where was the meltdown mode as I missed it. 

I hope the new coach keeps Tate. I think he can be of value to the new coach. If nothing else as introduction to the STL basketball comunity. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

In the ISU case, you are correct. I genuinely feel for their program and fans, they deserved the NCAA bid and they truly would have been in a much better spot with the NCAA money. Insult to injury. But I think 95% of the time the school getting pillaged will be compensated greatly by NCAA bids or buyout.

I think there is also some other benefit of raising to profile of your program / making the job more attractive to the next coaching hire.  

Schertz has shown that Indiana State CAN be successful / win the MVC.  The next coach will likely have to do that on his own merit instead of riding Schertz coattails, but the Indiana State job is more attractive now than when Schertz took it.

Success also breeds fan interest which brings more money into the program & likely some level of buy-in / honeymoon period for a new coaching hire who excites those fans.

brianstl likes this

12 minutes ago, willie said:

I hope the new coach keeps Tate. I think he can be of value to the new coach. If nothing else as introduction to the STL basketball comunity. 

Coach Tate seems like a great guy, but I’d have serious questions as to what he has brought the program the last couple years… when we were getting local guys like Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove to commit to us over major programs, he was worth having on staff.  By the end of Ford’s tenure it seemed like we had quit recruiting STL HS guys altogether. 

38 minutes ago, ARon said:

In this era the AD needs to have the next coach in mind at all times.  The good years, the bad years, always. The AD (and boosters) should have 3-4 names whose agents they are prepared to call with very little notice. Sustainable success will involve being able to have your coach poached and immediately turn around and make another good hire..

Unfortunately, ISU doesn't have a permanent AD or University President right now.  They probably don't want my advice, but they should hire Jim Crutchfield or Ben Howlett. Build upon the high octane offensive style that Schertz brought.  Don't under any circumstances hire a retread.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Unfortunately, ISU doesn't have a permanent AD or University President right now.  They probably don't want my advice, but they should hire Jim Crutchfield or Ben Howlett. Build upon the high octane offensive style that Schertz brought.  Don't under any circumstances hire a retread.

It sounds like Associate Coach Matt Graves will have a good shot at the job - which seems to make sense.

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Coach Tate seems like a great guy, but I’d have serious questions as to what he has brought the program the last couple years… when we were getting local guys like Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove to commit to us over major programs, he was worth having on staff.  By the end of Ford’s tenure it seemed like we had quit recruiting STL HS guys altogether. 

You have multible coaches on the sidelines. What do they all bring to the table? Everyone likes Tate. Especially the players. That is worth something. 

I got thoughts on assistants but I'll wait until the ink is signed.  Long off season to cuss, re-cuss and harumph.

24 minutes ago, willie said:

You have multible coaches on the sidelines. What do they all bring to the table? Everyone likes Tate. Especially the players. That is worth something. 

It's time to move on from the Ford era.

2 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

No need, we have V-Time!

One time I was supposed to pick up V-Time after his tennis practice and drive him to a game. It never came to fruition. Did he get a job at Harris Stowe?

39 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Tate had that really bad leg injury in 2019.  2019 also was the start of Yuri & Hargrove's careers (also Perkins!).  If I'm remember correctly, Corey couldn't really get around because of the injury & SLU lobbied the NCAA to allow Ray Giacoletti who was in a non-assistant coaching role at the time to be able to recruit like an AC since Tate was hurt.  I wonder if Tate kind of lost his local recruiting fastball after sitting out that year. 

To be fair, we DID land Phil Rusell, Jordan Nesbitt, Nick Kramer, Kellen Thames, & Larry Hughes II after 2019.  They just haven't panned out as well.  We also were able to get Francis Okoro (semi-local) and Javon Pickett to transfer back.  I'm also not sure there were many locals we had a shot at landing & missed on that ended up being great elsewhere.  Tate is/was really only valuable if there are local 3 star-ish (maybe low 4) prospects who SLU has a shot at.  He's likely not going to get us the Caleb Love types and we don't want the Troy Slaten types (to steal a name from a recent MMP episode).

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Tate had that really bad leg injury in 2019.  2019 also was the start of Yuri & Hargrove's careers (also Perkins!).  If I'm remember correctly, Corey couldn't really get around because of the injury & SLU lobbied the NCAA to allow Ray Giacoletti who was in a non-assistant coaching role at the time to be able to recruit like an AC since Tate was hurt.  I wonder if Tate kind of lost his local recruiting fastball after sitting out that year. 

To be fair, we DID land Phil Rusell, Jordan Nesbitt, Nick Kramer, Kellen Thames, & Larry Hughes II after 2019.  They just haven't panned out as well.  We also were able to get Francis Okoro (semi-local) and Javon Pickett to transfer back.  I'm also not sure there were many locals we had a shot at landing & missed on that ended up being great elsewhere.  Tate is/was really only valuable if there are local 3 star-ish (maybe low 4) prospects who SLU has a shot at.  He's likely not going to get us the Caleb Love types and we don't want the Troy Slaten types (to steal a name from a recent MMP episode).

He also landed Parker - he is connected in JUCOs too - which is where you are can still find a few hidden gems. If Schertz has an open spot, not bad to keep him for 1 year and then evaluate after that.

20 minutes ago, ACE said:

He also landed Parker - he is connected in JUCOs too - which is where you are can still find a few hidden gems. If Schertz has an open spot, not bad to keep him for 1 year and then evaluate after that.

I started going to more HS games this year and Tate is the only SLU person I've seen in a local HS gym. Curiously, met and chatted with Pat Sly, former SLU Board Chair, before a HS game. Great guy, totally humble for being so successful. 

4 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

Just for fun (I know he is not the guy) here are some fun numbers for this NBA season. 

Ahern is 1 of 6 assitant coaches on an NBA team with a 23-46 record..

Ahearn was hired as a Grizzlies' assitant to help with "shooting development" ... the Grizzlies are last in the NBA in shooting percentage.

did he work with JG or different time frame?

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I listened to the Opening Drive and the last two segments of today's show, and I don't know what you are upset about, unless it is the other two segments.

Frank stated he talked on the phone to several people actively involved with the search.  He stated Schertz has talked directly (not through his agent) to Dr. Chaifetz, Fred P, Chris May and Joe Conran.  Apparently Schertz won't accept any job until his team is out of the NIT.  He is still in the running for other jobs.

Frank asked Dr. Chaifetz if he 'was your guy'.  Chaifetz reportedly said, "We are talking to other coaches, some who are coaching in the NCAA Tourney."  The only other name that Frank and Rammer talked about was Bryce Drew.  Bob commented that Grand Canyon has several Dr. Chaifetz level backers.

Corey Tate, as current Interim Coach, goes to the office each day.  So does Harriman.  Jimerson is interested in staying, but hasn't committed.  (He apparently likes Coach Tate.)

Parker has heard from quite a few P6 schools. 

Outside of the SLU talk, the story on the Iowa lineman was interesting.  This football player originally committed to Iowa but flipped to Alabama on signing day.  At the beginning of the Jan portal, he transferred to Iowa.  Now, 3 months later, he is transferring back to Alabama.

I’m interested in your reaction. Where was the meltdown mode as I missed it. 

I ain't listened 2 Frank since covid sports shutdown. I mainly like him. reading this does seem unexciting & nothing to get bent out of shape. Try it in all caps c if that makes a difference

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I do think Harriman's recruiting connections could work better for Schertz's offense but I don't really need to keep anyone on the current staff. Honestly I wish we could get Van Macon back if anyone 

If not Macon, someone like him with East Coast connections. Ford had it right early by making the East Coast a point of emphasis for at least one of his assistants, but then he gradually lost his way. Like it or not, we are in an East Coast league. Every A-10 team I can think of that has had success East, even those more in the Midwest like Xavier and Dayton, have typically had a recruiting pipeline into those areas. 

It’s always funny when radio hosts say they don’t know what they’re talking about, then speak for 20 minutes on the subject.  But, Bernie’s “teammates” Frank and Slaten like the idea so SLU should consider Ahern.  😂