13 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

So we could lose to Drake again?  Their best players are not good enough.

I guess I may be on an island but Schertz is kind of a blah for me. His best players lost to Drake 2 out of 3 this year. We lost to Drake by a handful after leading by like 20 in the first half. I think we only had like 7 players for that game too, 4 being freshmen. 

I don't have the answer, but I fear Schertz might not be it. He's individually impressive and well-spoken but doing well at Lincoln Memorial and Indiana St doesn't necessarily translate to the A10 and better conferences.

I get what you are saying but the idea is that he was able to recruit those players to Indians State which  is not an easy task. 
With better facilities and more money to work with he should be able to recruit better players to SLU. 
If he brought his starting 5 plus any possible holdovers that’s a top 4 A10 team. Then you build on the momentum.

cgeldmacher likes this

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

I guess I may be on an island but Schertz is kind of a blah for me. His best players lost to Drake 2 out of 3 this year. We lost to Drake by a handful after leading by like 20 in the first half. I think we only had like 7 players for that game too, 4 being freshmen. 

I don't have the answer, but I fear Schertz might not be it. He's individually impressive and well-spoken but doing well at Lincoln Memorial and Indiana St doesn't necessarily translate to the A10 and better conferences.

We also had a big lead and lost on the road to a team that just won the ACC tourney. One game doesn't say much 

Torvik - 44th

Kempom 45th

Net - 28th

Not bad.  And he could possibly bring most of those players here or get better players.

He would have a T25 offense in year one.  

22 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

Isn't Drake in the NCAA Tournament? Isn't Indiana State a 1 seed in the NIT?

Would you like to tell me which teams in the A10 are better?

Those guys are 28 in the NET, pal. If they were at SLU they are an at-large bid.

You're just revealing how little you know about the sport.

According to the math there's also only about 27-44 teams in all of D1 that are better than those 5 guys. Not good enough? Who the F are you?

5 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I get what you are saying but the idea is that he was able to recruit those players to Indians State which  is not an easy task. 
With better facilities and more money to work with he should be able to recruit better players to SLU. 
If he brought his starting 5 plus any possible holdovers that’s a top 4 A10 team. Then you build on the momentum.

Yep, plus whatever players he decides to keep, HS/JUCO recruits and other transfers.

He could bring a starting 5 and only 2-3 start at SLU because GJ starts and some other transfers.  You need depth because as we all know injuries happen.

16 minutes ago, SLUDrew said:

Frank also has it on good authority that Popovich, Billy Donovan and Bill Self reached out to Chaifetz urging the powers that be at SLU to interview Ahern

At least they only said "interview Ahearn" rather than "hire Ahearn"

My immediate thought is why would any of those guys have the best interest in SLU in mind? 

And no one will disparage their reputation if Ahearn would subsequently fail because they were "just looking out for a friend".

23 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Great post. This is it. There are pieces here, get Jimerson and Medley on board and the rest would be gravy.

If SLU does indeed hire Schertz for the job, we 100% need to get Nickelodeon on the line to do a "Salute Your Schertz" night / Nickelodeon kids TV broadcast from Chaifetz Arena.  Bring in Michael Bower aka Donkeylips to do color commentary.  You're welcome fellow 90s Nick kids / Billiken fans.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

If SLU does indeed hire Schertz for the job, we 100% need to get Nickelodeon on the line to do a "Salute Your Schertz" night / Nickelodeon kids TV broadcast from Chaifetz Arena.  Bring in Michael Bower aka Donkeylips to do color commentary.  You're welcome fellow 90s Nick kids / Billiken fans.

Just bootleg the tshirts.

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Old school Nickelodeon is my favorite nostalgia. Now we just need Dre to run Legends of the Hidden Temple games during the time outs and have an AI of Majerus do the Olmec stone face.

32 minutes ago, SLUDrew said:

Frank also has it on good authority that Popovich, Billy Donovan and Bill Self reached out to Chaifetz urging the powers that be at SLU to interview Ahern

True or not, those 3 coaches certainly would have an opinion I would listen too.   

Just now, JMM28 said:

Why haven’t any of them hired Blake Ahearn then?

Technically Popovich did. Why aren't all these guys calling MSU or SIUC. Or anywhere else. Entitlement. I feel bad for Blake. He's got a bunch of people running their mouth on a job he might not even be interested in.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

True or not, those 3 coaches certainly would have an opinion I would listen too.   

Pure desperation. Sorry HoosierPal. No Ford, no Ahearn. Boo hoo.

Bills By 40 likes this

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Why haven’t any of them hired Blake Ahearn then?

It's pretty simple. All of them currently occupy the Head Coach chair. 

He already is an Assistant in the NBA.  That's all they would have to offer.

They are referring to a college Head Coaching position.

Got it?

Give us Avila and Swope combined with 1-2 guys here and 2-3 portalers and you have a team that can win the A10 in a year. I don't actually know how realistic it is to land Swope and Avila in an open market but I do think this can turn around pretty quickly 

Zink likes this

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Give us Avila and Swope combined with 1-2 guys here and 2-3 portalers and you have a team that can win the A10 in a year. I don't actually know how realistic it is to land Swope and Avila in an open market but I do think this can turn around pretty quickly 

For me, #1 Avila #2 Kent #3Conwell #4 Swope.  

Bills By 40 and Scoop like this

A couple of weeks ago, I listened to Doug Gottlieb interview Schertz on his All Ball podcast and I came away impressed. Good get if they can get him. Link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/all-ball-with-doug-gottlieb/id1358843497?i=1000645759088

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Got it?

And what has Blake Ahearn done to earn a HEAD COACHING position in College Basketball. Do you see a difference between Geno vouching for Tillett and those guys allegedly vouching for Ahearn? 

JMM28 likes this

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Got it?

I thought you didn't care?  Isn't winning random and countless coaches could win or lose at SLU?

Really arguing hard for Ahearn for someone that doesn't care.

Soderball and JMM28 like this

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I thought you didn't care?  Isn't winning random and countless coaches could win or lose at SLU?

Really arguing hard for Ahearn for someone that doesn't care.

*Cares about being "entertained."

Dance monkey, dance!

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Got it?

Nope. Pop passed on him. Self has had plenty of opportunity to hire him for similar money. Donovan has never hired him either. Weird how that works, isnt it? But I’ll assume you’re a standard issue “rules for thee but not for me” thinker. 

Little ol SLU should hire him because some of his buddies are still hurt that he was somehow snubbed by SLU 20 years ago?!

Soderball likes this

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Nope. Pop passed on him. Self has had plenty of opportunity to hire him for similar money. Donovan has never hired him either. Weird how that works, isnt it? But I’ll assume you’re a standard issue “rules for thee but not for me” thinker. 

Little ol SLU should hire him because some of his buddies are still hurt that he was somehow snubbed by SLU 20 years ago?!

So we should listen to you and not listen to three NBA coaches.  Right. 

Reread the original post.  It said interview.  You don't get it.

Carry on.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

So we should listen to you and not listen to three NBA coaches.  Right. 

Reread the original post.  It said interview.  You don't get it.

Carry on.

Too bad Hoosierpal. We said Ford must be fired and Ford IS fired.

Now we must hire Schertz and guess what? IT'S DIRTY SCHERTZ TIME.

I am really confused by the Ahern talk.  Is just that he is from StL?  I would think as some have suggested that he would be interested in MSU if he really wanted to coach in college.  He had wanted to come here but Sodie axed that - big mistake as it turns out but being a player and coaching are two different things.  I would think he would not want anything to do with us after his first treatment here.