SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

3 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Call me pessimistic but I have a bad feeling we are gonna mess up this hire. 

Depends on what you mean. There’s a massive pool that would be an upgrade, even a slight upgrade is a success. Obviously no one is ok with that but I feel really good we will be in a better place 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think it's way too early to panic. Hell it's too early to feel uneasy. I am actually very chill, surprisingly.

It's definitely not panic. We'll see, I guess. I just don't view the pool of viable candidates as being that deep. Sure, there are plenty of coaches to choose from, but as soon as you drop out of that top tier the risk profile goes way up. If we put all of our eggs in the Schertz basket, we could easily end up getting Pantsed. 

And given the state of college ball, I also don't believe we are operating from as strong a position as we think. It's a problem when we are no longer competitive for/attractive to coaches the caliber of Darian Devries.

21 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

And given the state of college ball, I also don't believe we are operating from as strong a position as we think. It's a problem when we are no longer competitive for/attractive to coaches the caliber of Darian Devries.

This right here. Seeing public opinion of our program is very upsetting. I used to want to defend us but can't really do that anymore. I think we are in a really bad spot at a time where it's important to be in a good spot in the college mbb landscape.

SLU is a good job there's just a lot of competition right now for the guys I think we want.

tOSU

UofL they want Baylor's Drew (I think)

Now Vanderbilt is open

West VA 

Oklahoma State

Holtman is out, if he was ever an option. Looks like Mack is off the board too.

USF coach Amir Abdur-Rahim  is a hot name.  FAU coach Dusty May is probably top of many P5 lists.

Colgate Matt Langel (former Dunphy assistant) just keeps winning. Just to throw out a few not previously mentioned.

26 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Heard on the radio today that Blake Ahearn wants the job. He's got recruiting ties all over and Popovich says hes ready to be an NBA head coach. Might be a good idea to call him.  At 39 he would stay for a while

How about no and he goes and does the college thing elsewhere.

If the AD and administration are stupid enough to listen to the dense local media (those who will remain stuck in St. Louis because no one worth his or her salt outside of it will hire them) then they’ll be deeper in sh!x’s creek than they currently are.

thelaundry likes this

6 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Heard on the radio today that Blake Ahearn wants the job. He's got recruiting ties all over and Popovich says hes ready to be an NBA head coach. Might be a good idea to call him.  At 39 he would stay for a while

Is this you, Kevin Slaten or Tom Holley ?

9 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Not sure how important local ties are in recruitment given NIL. It’s become show me the money days. 

thelaundry likes this

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just read an article on UL’s top 8 candidates. Schertz was not listed. I don’t think this rules him out but there were some heavy hitters on the list. 

Schertz did meet with the Louisville AD and others from Louisville.  He isn't in their top three candidates, but falls in the next group with guys like Kelsey.

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just read an article on UL’s top 8 candidates. Schertz was not listed. I don’t think this rules him out but there were some heavy hitters on the list. 

Mack would be the perfect candidate for UL! Kidding aside, Vandy will probably go hard after him. Did I read that right? Stackhouse buyout over $15M? Yowsers!

We really need Indiana State to get snubbed on Sunday...

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I just read an article by WKLY station in Louisviile, and he was listed as a candidate along with May, Scott Drew (yes Scott), among others.  Rumors are popular this time of the year and you can pretty much publish anything you want.

Payne's buyout has been reported to be around $8 million, and he had a reported annual salary of $3.35m plus incentives.  Louisville has the money to buy anyone they want.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I just read an article by WKLY station in Louisviile, and he was listed as a candidate along with May, Scott Drew (yes Scott), among others.  Rumors are popular this time of the year and you can pretty much publish anything you want.

Payne's buyout has been reported to be around $8 million, and he had a reported annual salary of $3.35m plus incentives.  Louisville has the money to buy anyone they want.

That’s why the source of information and credibility matters. There are non-credible outlets that regularly share misinformation. Yet somehow desperate and/or lazy information seekers keep coming back for more. 

“Coaching Changes” is a good example of this. They said Moser was going to DePaul. Then they said it was 90%. Then they blamed their source. Then they said they jumped the gun, it happens. And that would be all fine and good if they had a mostly accurate track record or didn’t trash people on a regular basis while not allowing replies. Yet some people keep going back for more and more. Maybe they like the shouting and trashing of people. 

Look at their tweet from yesterday about SLU as an example.

Or their tweets yesterday trashing the Vandy AD because they were wrong about Stack staying. The problem with those tweets are that Stack and the Vandy AD are close friends. There were no surprises for Stack. Many of their tweets contradict one another so they can simply point to the one that is somewhat more accurate. 

So, it’s up to the consumer of information to consider the credibility of the source that produces their information. A surprising number of consumers believe non credible places and later get dismayed when much of their information doesn’t ring true. And they repeat the cycle.

It doesn’t take much effort to distinguish between the two.

HoosierPal likes this

One thing to be wary of is the domino effect of other jobs being filled.  If Louisville goes after Tang from K State, who do they pursue?  

It’s not imperative that we fill our position right now. But, it would be great to have an agreement, even if not announced until coach’s team is done.

JMM28 and brianstl like this

4 minutes ago, TRN said:

One thing to be wary of is the domino effect of other jobs being filled.  If Louisville goes after Tang from K State, who do they pursue?  

It’s not imperative that we fill our position right now. But, it would be great to have an agreement, even if not announced until coach’s team is done.

Exactly a lot at play here as some coaching changes won't be announced until the team's season is over and we haven't hit selection Sunday yet and then some coaches will get poached like Tang possibly that starts the Dominoes.

This is why competent leadership is very necessary to know the landscape, be proactive not reactive and have contingencies.

SLU is the best non-P6 opening right now. If that means anything. We've paid P6 level salary and have P6 level facilities.

Maybe SLU’s AD is a problem attracting decent coaching candidates? If this guy is allowed to seriously be involved hiring a third head coach, I have no expectations this gets fixed. Imagine hiring the same contractor to fix your roof for the third time after the first two roofs collapsed? IF that’s SLU’s line of thinking still, who cares who the new coach is, place is terminal. Hate to be Debbie Downer, but this really concerns me the most. 

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

Exactly a lot at play here as some coaching changes won't be announced until the team's season is over and we haven't hit selection Sunday yet and then some coaches will get poached like Tang possibly that starts the Dominoes.

This is why competent leadership is very necessary to know the landscape, be proactive not reactive and have contingencies.

SLU is the best non-P6 opening right now. If that means anything. We've paid P6 level salary and have P6 level facilities.

Competent leadership, which is proactive. We are screwed! lol 

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say our next HC will come from a lower mid program like Samford, UNC Asheville, et al, or a P6 AC. A guy with some success or comes from a successful program . My reasoning is once the carousel speeds up more P6 jobs will become open and the hot mid major coaches like Schertz, Kelse, May, DeVries will be pursued to fill the empty chairs. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing, although, I’d like us to land Schertz the competition from the bigs will just be too great and too rich for our blood. Hopefully, if we can get a guy for a mil or slightly less, the savings will go the NIL fund, and the new guy will spend it wisely. 

33 minutes ago, ACE said:

FWIW - Indiana State has now moved to the wrong side of the bubble by both CBS and Lunardi...

Bracket Matrix still has them in as an 11 seed appearing on 79 of the 105 brackets they track.

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say our next HC will come from a lower mid program like Samford, UNC Asheville, et al, or a P6 AC. A guy with some success or comes from a successful program . My reasoning is once the carousel speeds up more P6 jobs will become open and the hot mid major coaches like Schertz, Kelse, May, DeVries will be pursued to fill the empty chairs. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing, although, I’d like us to land Schertz the competition from the bigs will just be too great and too rich for our blood. Hopefully, if we can get a guy for a mil or slightly less, the savings will go the NIL fund, and the new guy will spend it wisely. 

A big name leaving a big name school for a big name job opening still just means there is one big name job opening. It doesn’t change  the number of spots to be filled.  The thing we don’t need is someone like an Indiana changing their mind on retaining their coach or a bunch of surprise retirements.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Bracket Matrix still has them in as an 11 seed appearing on 79 of the 105 brackets they track.

Depends on how many underdogs advance in these P5/6 tournaments Cincy was bubble team right?  Those teams will knock them out.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

A big name leaving a big name school for a big name job opening still just means there is one big name job opening. It doesn’t change  the number of spots to be filled.  The thing we don’t need is someone like an Indiana changing their mind on retaining their coach or a bunch of surprise retirements.

There's been speculation about Izzo retiring but he told Norlander he wasn't retiring this year.  That was months ago.  MSU is on the bubble it's possible MSU and ISU end up in Dayton.