Transfers - 2024

ACE

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You would expect more lateral transfers than anything else.  There are lot more teams outside of the P6 than there are inside of it.

However, don't you think it's strange that folks hyper-focus on the starters who transfer up but ignore the guys who transfer down and put up numbers right away?  If the lowly Billikens had such a player, then I can think you can safely assume every team in the conference has at least one.  I pointed out the all-conference players because those are the ones that most people are interested in.

Here’s the other side of it, how many players go into the portal and end up not getting anywhere close to what they are expecting?

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Here’s the other side of it, how many players go into the portal and end up not getting anywhere close to what they are expecting?

The number has to be somewhere between 5-10x more in that situation 

50 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ezewiro, a guy who couldn't get off the bench for a bad P6 team, averaged 12 and 6 for an equally bad Billikens team.  This isn't a sexy example, but it's fairly typical.

The co-player of the year in the A10 is Richmond's Jordan King, an all-conference player who transferred from another mid-major.  Same with second-teamer Keyshawn Hall from George Mason. That's also fairly typical.

Matt Cross was a role player at his previous P6 stops.  He was a first-teamer at UMass.  Nate Santos couldn't get off the bench at Pitt.  He was a second-teamer at Dayton.  And so on.

Santos is one of the very few recent P6 transfers coming into the A-10 and having success. There used to be more. The days of Bess and Okoro are becoming increasingly rare. Most of the other successful transfers coming into the A-10, as you point out are not former P6 players... and that was my point. The same story is playing out in the MVC and other mid major conferences.

I can simply counter with the starting 5 from Final Four team Alabama - every one started his career at a low to mid major. But wait, there's much more - Lance Jones at Purdue and Domansk at Illinois. UConn's top two scorers began at non P6 schools. NC State's leading scorer began his career in the MVC. The leading scorers from 3 of the Final Four teams began at non P6 schools.

Four of 5 Bonaventure's starters transferred to P6 schools not long ago - the transfers they had coming in were not of the same quality - a couple of former P6 players, but the rest were former low major players. Even blue blood Kentucky has had several former A-10 players and an MVC player in recent years.

I could go on and on. I really wish it was true that the talent transferring down would equal the talent transferring up. There's a reason most of the P6 schools were very supportive of free agency ... it wasn't to be nice and give the kids more "freedom."

BuiltFordBills, willie and DOC like this

21 minutes ago, ACE said:

Santos is one of the very few recent P6 transfers coming into the A-10 and having success. There used to be more. The days of Bess and Okoro are becoming increasingly rare. Most of the other successful transfers coming into the A-10, as you point out are not former P6 players... and that was my point. The same story is playing out in the MVC and other mid major conferences.

I can simply counter with the starting 5 from Final Four team Alabama - every one started his career at a low to mid major. But wait, there's much more - Lance Jones at Purdue and Domansk at Illinois. UConn's top two scorers began at non P6 schools. NC State's leading scorer began his career in the MVC. The leading scorers from 3 of the Final Four teams began at non P6 schools.

Four of 5 Bonaventure's starters transferred to P6 schools not long ago - the transfers they had coming in were not of the same quality - a couple of former P6 players, but the rest were former low major players. Even blue blood Kentucky has had several former A-10 players and an MVC player in recent years.

I could go on and on. I really wish it was true that the talent transferring down would equal the talent transferring up. There's a reason most of the P6 schools were very supportive of free agency ... it wasn't to be nice and give the kids more "freedom."

The situation where the P6 has everybody beat is the post-grad market.  If a player has already graduated from a mid-major school I don't think it's fair to expect him to come back when he has much better options.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The situation where the P6 has everybody beat is the post-grad market.  If a player has already graduated from a mid-major school I don't think it's fair to expect him to come back when he has much better options.

Whoever has money has the advantage. Sorry, no one gives a sh*t about graduate status anymore.

I thought this graphic was interesting. This shows every Elite 8 team’s  starting lineup by where they began their college careers. 11/40 (28%) of the starters came from mid-major (or lower) programs.

I find it funny that Duke and NC State are exact opposites when it comes to portaling. 

Also, Bronny James to Duquesne is actually a possibility?! Crazy.

image.jpeg.fcb42cb16a3c534e9c7c51a5e58081d7.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I thought this graphic was interesting. This shows every Elite 8 team’s  starting lineup by where they began their college careers. 11/40 (28%) of the starters came from mid-major (or lower) programs.

I find it funny that Duke and NC State are exact opposites when it comes to portaling. 

Their coach had LeBron in high school I believe - actually makes sense.  

41 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Yep, supports my point. The free agency era has not been kind to the mid majors. This was predictable.

50 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Part of this is just the age of the rosters. Duke starts a senior, 2-3 sophomores, and 1-2 freshmen. Purdue starts 3 sophomores and 2 seniors. Whereas most of the rest have more experience in the starting lineup, and guys who have been around 4-5 years have usually transferred. Tennessee is the exception; very experienced roster.

My point is that Duke and NC State might not be opposites in terms of roster churn, just that Duke's players are younger and they haven't transferred or gone pro yet.

Just now, brianstl said:

Player at Illinois State in the portal.  Might be a name to watch.

gotcha, didn't know if you we're saying he said something about SLU or schertz. idk why I'd think that, im just excited. 

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Player at Illinois State in the portal.  Might be a name to watch.

Can't shoot 3s. I wonder if Schertz has a place for a player like that?

That person did not go to college if he/she believes "college kids aren't as motivated strictly by money as adults".

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That person did not go to college if he/she believes "college kids aren't as motivated strictly by money as adults".

I've tried to be nice, rooted for Sycamores, felt for the situation they have been going through, etc.  That said, I have had about enough of their fans.  They really don't understand what college basketball is now or even what it was ten years ago.

Littlebill, Pistol and Bizziken like this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Their coach had LeBron in high school I believe - actually makes sense.  

James really likes Dambrot. But he resigned, so I don’t see where that helps his old coach that much. 

59 minutes ago, slubillikens43 said:

I believe they're hiring Dru Smith who played on Lebron's high school team.

It's Dru Joyce. Dru Smith played for Mizzou. Joyce was Lebron's PG at St Vincent St Mary's and played for Dambrot at Akron. He's been an assistant at Duquesne since 2022

slubillikens43 likes this

20 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ezewiro, a guy who couldn't get off the bench for a bad P6 team, averaged 12 and 6 for an equally bad Billikens team.  This isn't a sexy example, but it's fairly typical.

The co-player of the year in the A10 is Richmond's Jordan King, an all-conference player who transferred from another mid-major.  Same with second-teamer Keyshawn Hall from George Mason. That's also fairly typical.

Matt Cross was a role player at his previous P6 stops.  He was a first-teamer at UMass.  Nate Santos couldn't get off the bench at Pitt.  He was a second-teamer at Dayton.  And so on.

Hall is hearing from schools like Michigan State. Cohen is already at USC. The transfers who will enter the league from P6 schools won't equal the quality that's leaving for P6 schools. 

willie likes this