The Bills over GW by 3

Post season A-10.....NCAA...Day 6th seed (dn)....NIT chances.......Rich...68%(up).....Loy...64%(up)...UMass...54% (new)

General Outlook........We remain at C-...we may have bottomed out in this area. For comparison purposes we are substantially better than the worst Bills team of the 21st century ...the 2014-15 team which was a D- overall.  On the larger  scale we are a slightly below average D1 team, which is good enough to make us a bottom feeder in the A-10.   The A-10 is about the same as it always has been ....relatively speaking.   Now while this A10 might not be able to beat A10s from earlier years....overall they rank about 8th among conferences. This is because of parity....D1 basketball teams in general are not as good as past years. Talent has been spread out among more teams.  The best now are not as good as the best from years ago.  And the worst have become better.  And therein lies one of the Bills problems...we have moved sideways while the bottom has come up and surpassed us in the A-10.  In 2019-20 the A10 had 3 D teams...now the lowest is C- (SLU).  In that same season there were 3 teams vying for The Dance....Today only 1.  The good news is that parity will make it easier for the Bills to catch up in future years.  But they first have to figure out how things work in the new world....which is the real problem now.

Let's take a look at the game

Game Preview....Ah yes, finally a positive spread. This doesn't mean this game is in the bag.  GW( grade C)  is kind of a mirror team of the Bills...a so so offense and a poor defense.  TOs are about equal ...rebounding is close too.  As you all know generating opponent TOs has been a problem for The Bills.  But in the last few games we have doubled the TO rate for opposing teams to 13.  Meanwhile GW has dropped sharply in creating TOs  to 6.  If that trend continues we could see a bigger spread for The Bills.  In addition , there are some conflicting reports on the injury front.  On the Bills side, one report says Meadows may get some playing time ...another says he is out indefinitely....If he does play it would be limited time.  On the GW side,  there is a report that 2 starters (Johnson and Buchanan) are questionable for Sat., while another report says probable.  The computer is assuming they will play. If they are missing from the Sat game or have limited time that would be a blow to GW.  The Bills should win this one if they keep TOs under control and avoid a bad shooting night.

Let's look at the card....

Report Card.... 

The Card is down.....2 down (1 Off & 1 Def)

.................SLU............GW................SLU...................GW

...........................OFF........................................DEF..........

PPG............C..................B+...................F........................F

FG%...........C..................D+...................D.......................B-

3P%...........B+.................B....................D........................D+

FT%...........B...................B+.............................

Reb...........D...................B....................D+......................F+

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP...............Off....none.....Def...none

Down.........Off....3P%......Def....FG%

Top 100 In The Nation

SLU

Min /gm...Jimerson ...53rd...up

GW

Blks....Akingbola...5th

Asts...Bishop....94th

MPG.....".....".....84th

FT%....Edwards...39th & Johnson ...88th

Injury /Illness report and misc

The Bills...

None reported...see game preview above

GW..

None...see game preview above

Keys to the Game.......Stop Bishop ...he is their shooter ...inside and out.....Don't try to shoot over Akingbola ...he is their fly swatter....we need to make the slash...try not to foul Edwards and Johnson...easy GW pts

WWN2D2W...Target slash--46/38/75.....Match them in  TOs and Rebs....Hold their top 2 scorers to under 30 combined

Bottom line.........A win for The Bills would be Revolutionary.

So in the world of official stats, what is our current record, 9-17 or 8-17?  On the Billiken website, it lists us as 9-17. The A10 standings on the A10 website show us 9-17.  Yet the NCAA.com website credits us with only a 8-17 record.  What’s the difference? I think it was our game against Lincoln (MO), a D2 school. Was that a regular season win, or an exhibition game that doesn’t count as a regular season win?  Interestingly enough, the Lincoln (MO) website has it marked as an exhibition game as well. So are we 9-17 for the season, or are we only 8-17 on the year?  What does the computer think?  🤔 What do people think?  

When a D2 team plays a D1 team, it is an exhibition for the D2 team. As long as it’s not in the exhibition slate for the D1 team, it counts win or lose. It just doesn’t count for the NET calculations. It does count for player averages, records, etc. Lower level D1 teams play multiple games of D2 and lower opponents and yes, they count.

11 hours ago, Scoop said:

When a D2 team plays a D1 team, it is an exhibition for the D2 team. As long as it’s not in the exhibition slate for the D1 team, it counts win or lose. It just doesn’t count for the NET calculations. It does count for player averages, records, etc. Lower level D1 teams play multiple games of D2 and lower opponents and yes, they count.

Though, they shouldn't.

As fans we definitely shouldn't be counting it, and instead should be calling for Ford's metaphorical head.

Here is an injury update...

On the original report up top, there were some conflicting injury reports.  The air has cleared and this is how they now line up.

SLU...Meadows has been downgraded from Questionable to Out Indefinitely ...Back injury

GW...2 starters for GW now officially listed as Questionable for our game....Buchanan(2nd leading scorer) and Johnson(3rd leading scorer) ...Buchanan listed as unknown issue....Johnson listed as unknown ailment....If 1 or both are missing, it will be a significant blow to GW and could increase the spread in favor of The Bills.

This game made me go ...hmmm

With 0.7 sec left in the game ...Bills by 3...and Bills ball....I am thinking  I have nailed the spread.  GW's only chance to tie the game is to steal the inbounds pass. If they don't ...game is over.  If they foul...game is over even we  miss the FTs , the ball is at the other end of the court with GW having no chance to win.  So the strategy  is to steal ...no foul...and yet they foul ...BEFORE  the ball is thrown in and they pick out The Bills best FT shooter to foul...they could fouled anybody but they fouled Jimerson our best FT shooter BEFORE  the clock started,  assuring a loss. It didn't make sense to me.  And then I remembered....The Vegas spread was 4.5 pts.  Jimerson sinks 2 and The Bills win by 5 with the clock running out.  It was like a message was being sent from Nevada...You may have the better computer but we make the rules...And what are the rules?  Rule number 1...Vegas rules.  

I am sure the above paragraph is just a giant coincidence...but it still makes you pause and go...hmmm.

In any case , a good win for the Bills....any win for The Bills at this point is a good win.

This game answered the predicted question for 2 of the worst defenses in D1....What happens when 2 teams play no defense...186 pts are scored in a close game.  I think the deciding factor in this game was...wait for it...TOs.   This is like a horror movie...The Return of the Turnover.  This time there was a happy ending as we beat them 10-7  in TOs.  And if anyone still has a doubt that TOs are a major factor in Bills games...the computer shows that had the Bills given up 4 more TOs there would have been a 9 pt swing in the game.

This should have been an easy win ...ie an even bigger spread as GW was missing 2 key starters...their 2nd and 3rd scorers. But that was canceled out when Parker turned up lame today and was scratched.  Officially listed as a leg injury and questionable for the Richmond game on the 28th.

Overall...a nice balanced scoring attack with 6 players in double figures (and one with 9)...we beat the slash which is always a good sign...51/50/82...This was a RM target slash... 180+.

Bottom line.... Things could be worse, we could be GW  who has just lost 10 in a row and has given up more points than we have in the last 10 games. When you are at the bottom there is no where to go but up.  And finally, I will close with a familiar statement....if we keep the TOs even there is no team we can't beat on our schedule going forward.

We did win this game, surprisingly enough without Parker playing we won. Well done. What have we achieved, we have tied with GW still at the bottom of the A10. Maybe we will manage to creep up some more and leave GW behind. For the players this was a happy moment and they do deserve it.

16 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This game made me go ...hmmm

With 0.7 sec left in the game ...Bills by 3...and Bills ball....I am thinking  I have nailed the spread.  GW's only chance to tie the game is to steal the inbounds pass. If they don't ...game is over.  If they foul...game is over even we  miss the FTs , the ball is at the other end of the court with GW having no chance to win.  So the strategy  is to steal ...no foul...and yet they foul ...BEFORE  the ball is thrown in and they pick out The Bills best FT shooter to foul...they could fouled anybody but they fouled Jimerson our best FT shooter BEFORE  the clock started,  assuring a loss. It didn't make sense to me.  And then I remembered....The Vegas spread was 4.5 pts.  Jimerson sinks 2 and The Bills win by 5 with the clock running out.  It was like a message was being sent from Nevada...You may have the better computer but we make the rules...And what are the rules?  Rule number 1...Vegas rules.  

I am sure the above paragraph is just a giant coincidence...but it still makes you pause and go...hmmm.

In any case , a good win for the Bills....any win for The Bills at this point is a good win.

This game answered the predicted question for 2 of the worst defenses in D1....What happens when 2 teams play no defense...186 pts are scored in a close game.  I think the deciding factor in this game was...wait for it...TOs.   This is like a horror movie...The Return of the Turnover.  This time there was a happy ending as we beat them 10-7  in TOs.  And if anyone still has a doubt that TOs are a major factor in Bills games...the computer shows that had the Bills given up 4 more TOs there would have been a 9 pt swing in the game.

This should have been an easy win ...ie an even bigger spread as GW was missing 2 key starters...their 2nd and 3rd scorers. But that was canceled out when Parker turned up lame today and was scratched.  Officially listed as a leg injury and questionable for the Richmond game on the 28th.

Overall...a nice balanced scoring attack with 6 players in double figures (and one with 9)...we beat the slash which is always a good sign...51/50/82...This was a RM target slash... 180+.

Bottom line.... Things could be worse, we could be GW  who has just lost 10 in a row and has given up more points than we have in the last 10 games. When you are at the bottom there is no where to go but up.  And finally, I will close with a familiar statement....if we keep the TOs even there is no team we can't beat on our schedule going forward.

With Richmond and UD I disagree heartily. I've seen what happens when we face defense. It ain't good.

15 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Thanks...30 years  of being a season ticket holder and Bills Club member...also had a baby race entrant...Little Wiz

That was you?? First time I don't pay close attention. Congrats, Wiz!

The Wiz likes this

21 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Thanks...30 years  of being a season ticket holder and Bills Club member...also had a baby race entrant...Little Wiz

How did Little Wiz do?  It seemed like at least half of the entrants never left the starting gate.

2 minutes ago, gister said:

How did Little Wiz do?  It seemed like at least half of the entrants never left the starting gate.

He got off to a good start  and then became hypnotized by the crowd, lights and noise and froze....just staring at the crowd.  He did win for cutest baby.   Larry Hughes Sr came over to him after the race and said that was my number ( the Bills onesie he was wearing had Hughes old number on it)...He took pix with Hughes and The Billiken.   He also went over to the broadcast table and high fived Rammer and Earl.  I would say he had a pretty good time plus he is undefeated as a Bills fan.

wish I been there for Wiz Day.   i didnt know and chose to attend two of my Grandson's select games instead.   Congratulations Wiz.   What a day.  

The Wiz likes this

11 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

What a great day for you and Little Wiz.  What had your computer predicted about his chances?  Was it looking at turnovers?

The computer liked his chances as he came into the contest at 99% height and weight but in the end the home field advantage turned into a distraction.   He had a chance to win because he had no turnovers (or sit ups). He did have a steal though as  he grabbed the autographed game ball from me.