Ford Interview with Kilcoyne

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There are players in the NBA who are poor defensively.  It doesn't mean they lack character.  It means they're poor defensively.  It's not something they value.  You can say that someone who doesn't share your values lacks character, but I think that's overstating it.

if they are athletic enough to make it to the nba, there is no excuse for their bad defense or rebounding fundamentals.   so i would argue they lack character to be an all around teamate.  

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

since i dont follow any kind of soccer one bit i wouldnt know.    i hate soccer.   i think for children it is a nice activity to get exercise, beyond about 7th grade, go play a different sport.  so no i faintly even know kaiish is a slu soccer coach and i only know that because of cross talk on this board when a talking head starts talking soccer on tv or radio, i will switch to something more important like law and order reruns or the latest episode of maine cabin masters. 

Roy, nobody cares that you hate soccer. 

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Roy, nobody cares that you hate soccer. 

you are the one that wanted to convince me of a point using soccer as your point.   i then countered you cannot convince me using that when i pay absolutely no attention to soccer and couldnt care less about soccer.   now you know, dont use soccer in your debates with me.   i wont play.  

How many years are left on this 10 year contract? I was under the belief he got the deal after the ‘19 season. If so it still has 5 years left after this year. So at $2.5mm we would hand him a check for $7.5mm to go coach at ND STATE FARGO? Is this the situation? If so, we’re effed. Unless a whale steps up to pay him to go away. I don’t see the BOT approving that buyout. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

The President/BoT may have to sign off on contracts but they didn't write this terrible contact whole cloth. That comes from the AD.

That's the most aggregious sin.

There are other issues, fan engagement, marketing, alignment of goals, navigating the changing landscape of college athletics, making unlistenable podcasts, general weinerness...weinerosity.

Bizziken likes this

May has done a lot of good for SLU. A reshuffling of his title/responsibility would be good for him as part of a long term retirement package. I just don't want him overseeing another men's basketball head coaching hire. Sure, the big donors lead a lot of that but it still games down to May and his leadership and we can't miss on this hire again - not in the current climate. 

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The President/BoT may have to sign off on contracts but they didn't write this terrible contact whole cloth. That comes from the AD.

There are other issues, fan engagement, marketing, alignment of goals, navigating the changing landscape of college athletics, making unlistenable podcasts, general weinerness...weinerosity.

I believe he also displayed some douchebaggery

18 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

May has done a lot of good for SLU. A reshuffling of his title/responsibility would be good for him as part of a long term retirement package. I just don't want him overseeing another men's basketball head coaching hire. Sure, the big donors lead a lot of that but it still games down to May and his leadership and we can't miss on this hire again - not in the current climate. 

Nah. This is a big boy business. FIRE HIM and shame him. He cost the school 12.5 million dollar buyout from gross incompetence of not having ANY clue on the current market conditions in his only sport that matters. 

Just for shoots and giggles, 12.5 million is about half the annual athletics budget. That is how bad he fuoked this all up. 

Bizziken, NextYearBill and slu92 like this

4 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

I believe he also displayed some douchebaggery

Have you seen him drinking Rockstar energy drinks?

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

Nah. This is a big boy business. FIRE HIM and shame him. He cost the school 12.5 million dollar buyout from gross incompetence of not having ANY clue on the current market conditions in his only sport that matters. 

Just for shoots and giggles, 12.5 million is about half the annual athletics budget. That is how bad he fuoked this all up. 

I'm not saying I disagree but there are influential people who like May. I don't want to totally alienate them. 

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

I'm not saying I disagree but there are influential people who like May. I don't want to totally alienate them. 

I get what you're saying, but they have bad judgement then too. How can you like someone who squanders millions of your money?

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Not to be rude, but where has that gotten us exactly? Any AD worth their salary will develop those relationships, while also spending the money in a better way than May has. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

since i dont follow any kind of soccer one bit i wouldnt know.    i hate soccer.   i think for children it is a nice activity to get exercise, beyond about 7th grade, go play a different sport.  so no i faintly even know kaiish is a slu soccer coach and i only know that because of cross talk on this board when a talking head starts talking soccer on tv or radio, i will switch to something more important like law and order reruns or the latest episode of maine cabin masters. 

Such a weird vibe. Nobody cares.

NextYearBill likes this

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

Not to be rude, but where has that gotten us exactly? Any AD worth their salary will develop those relationships, while also spending the money in a better way than May has. 

People who don't necessarily care about winning games but care more about having something named after them (big or small - not calling out one or two specific people). Moreso people who aren't paying for the coach but are paying for general funds the athletic department needs. You need people like that supporting your school. Those kind of people love May. But that's why I want May in some sort of role where it seems like he has power but he actually doesn't. We need a new athletic director. There are just too many negatives going on even outside the basketball trainwreck. But I think you risk upsetting a lot of important people if you dump May totally to the curb even if that's what should happen. 

Your school is never in great shape when you need a new president, a new athletic director, and a new coach of your single revenue sport. 

johnbj14 and 3star_recruit like this

43 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Your school is never in great shape when you need a new president, a new athletic director, and a new coach of your single revenue sport. 

the Washington Commanders are not in good shape? 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

How many years are left on this 10 year contract? I was under the belief he got the deal after the ‘19 season. If so it still has 5 years left after this year. So at $2.5mm we would hand him a check for $7.5mm to go coach at ND STATE FARGO? Is this the situation? If so, we’re effed. Unless a whale steps up to pay him to go away. I don’t see the BOT approving that buyout. 

This was presented to me and it makes perfect sense. If you fire Ford and hire a young coach for 1 million your buyout is not 2.5 million but 1.5 million. This also does not take into account a lump sum buyout at a reduced number. 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

It's a massive buyout in the sense that Travis Ford isn't worth that.

But it's not prohibitive nor is it massive in the sense of college sports.

11 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Recruiting is now a very distant second priority now with the b.s. pay to play NiL.   The first question all new recruits and transfer candidates ask now is, "how much will I get paid.".  Thus Ford's strongest attribute (maybe only attribute) has been diminished and virtually made him a non D1 coach imo.   He has to go.  

Yes that’s fine and I agree re NIL.  We have 0 reason to believe he can navigate NIL and transform a roster in an off-season

15 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

so the BoT, which has a number of attys as members in fact is headed by a very renown and reputed excellent members of the ilk, bears no responsibility for interpretting this contract that we all think we know the details but likely do not?  you are telling me they are incapable of reviewing and going back to change key aspects?   May and the the agents negotiated what they believe was the best deal for all concerned and granted brought it to the BoT, but ultimately the BoT signed off on the final deal.   plenty of blame for all.  

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

so the BoT, which has a number of attys as members in fact is headed by a very renown and reputed excellent members of the ilk, bears no responsibility for interpretting this contract that we all think we know the details but likely do not?  you are telling me they are incapable of reviewing and going back to change key aspects?   May and the the agents negotiated what they believe was the best deal for all concerned and granted brought it to the BoT, but ultimately the BoT signed off on the final deal.   plenty of blame for all.  

Certain BoT members are very capable. It's unlikely that they even reviewed the contract and were presented the salient facts before voting y someone they employ to be the advisor on these matters.

If a building they approved collapsed would we blame them for not reviewing all aspects of the blue prints? 

May failed.  He's continuing to fail and he will keep failing. Also he's a Weiner.