GDT: SLU v. UMass

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Ford is not a stupid man. He's been coaching for 27 years and was a GREAT basketball player before that. He knows what he's watching, he knows what's wrong with this team.

He recruited those soft guys and guys who are out of shape and guys who are too little to play D1 hoops. He brought them here and knew they wouldn't be able to play defense. Where's Goodwin and French on this roster? Hell, where's Okoro?

He's absolutely right that opponents are scoring an "uncalled for" amount of points. This defense is worse than swiss cheese: there is nothing there. His best recruit is Ezewiro and the guy is literally delaying the game laying on the floor to try and get a break because he's exhausted and out of shape. LOST RECRUITING CLASS.

And he’s made somewhere between  $20 - $30M at a minimum over the years as a coach.  So, I have NO sympathy for him in this current situation.  It’s time to be more than the little engine that could, and move on.  

Soderball likes this

6 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Bingo. It’s almost as if this group just started playing basketball and Ford just types in “what’s a good basketball offense?” on his search engine, which is probably Yahoo. We are the most archaic team in any level of intercollegiate basketball, Chicago State included. 

Now, wait a minute, you’re not talking about the Chicago State squad on the second of two 4-game winning streaks are you? The team that knocked off Northwestern a week after NW knocked off Purdue. I’d take every starter they have over ours with the exception of Eziwero. Sorry, Gibby would have to be the 6th man. As they say, go see the kids play.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Now, wait a minute, you’re not talking about the Chicago State squad on the second of two 4-game winning streaks are you? The team that knocked off Northwestern a week after NW knocked off Purdue. I’d take every starter they have over ours with the exception of Eziwero. Sorry, Gibby would have to be the 6th man. As they say, go see the kids play.

Sorry, I meant to say “program” not “team.” Our program is archaic. We do less with more. And to your point, Chicago State is doing more with almost nothing. 

12 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It sounded like he was about to cry right? Then Earl and Rammer step in and say 'yeah we've seen a lot of ball and....." to save him

I mean I’m sure this is really hard for him.  His heart is definitely in it, so when you get results that are so off course it’s hard.

Ford said something about how the practiced getting rebounds on the defensive side and preventing your man from driving to the basket for 2 days rather than giving UMass all the second chances and unimpeded drives, but the players didn't perform.  My question is why only 2 days - why haven't you been practicing that aspect of the game all year!  Of course, it is hard for him but if you don't teach it all the time whose fault is that.  RM always said rebound and defend so has Ford just realized this?

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Ford said something about how the practiced getting rebounds on the defensive side and preventing your man from driving to the basket for 2 days rather than giving UMass all the second chances and unimpeded drives, but the players didn't perform.  My question is why only 2 days - why haven't you been practicing that aspect of the game all year!  Of course, it is hard for him but if you don't teach it all the time whose fault is that.  RM always said rebound and defend so has Ford just realized this?

Ford at practice, courtesy of Knight-Ridder news services: 

IMG_0895.jpeg

Ford's statements are bizarre. He comes across clueless as to how to fix anything and unaware of how the comments will be received.

But in the end they don't matter the results matter and this team is bad and has been trending bad for a while. It's not just one thing there's a lot of things.

28 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-in the Post CFord is quoted when talking about defense "We change every game what we're trying to do" -- I thought defense was ALWAYS about trying not to let the other team score

Maybe this is the problem - he never lets a team get good at anything because he is always changing things.  I heard someone say once - if you are poor at math but good at tennis then don't hire a math tutor but do hire a tennis coach.

TJ hits a runner at 2:28 to make it 74-70. They make a tough driving layup at 2:04, miss the and one and the ball hits heel of the rim going right to the UMass rebounder. That allowed UMass to kill another 20 seconds off the clock.

After an EZ FT to make it 76-71, Parker gets beat on a back door and it’s 78-71 and ballgame. Re-watching it, Parker’s terrible play, 0-6 from the floor and his lackadaisical defense, along with being beaten by 10 on second chance points cost us the game. Not only was Parker 0-6 but his shot selection was awkward guy at the playground bad. Jimerson’s 5-13 from the floor with 3 turnovers didn’t help either.

Sad to lose a game when you shoot 44% from the arc, 88% from the line and have a turnover rate of 18%. 

Billikenbooster likes this

54 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

TJ hits a runner at 2:28 to make it 74-70. They make a tough driving layup at 2:04, miss the and one and the ball hits heel of the rim going right to the UMass rebounder. That allowed UMass to kill another 20 seconds off the clock.

After an EZ FT to make it 76-71, Parker gets beat on a back door and it’s 78-71 and ballgame. Re-watching it, Parker’s terrible play, 0-6 from the floor and his lackadaisical defense, along with being beaten by 10 on second chance points cost us the game. Not only was Parker 0-6 but his shot selection was awkward guy at the playground bad. Jimerson’s 5-13 from the floor with 3 turnovers didn’t help either.

Sad to lose a game when you shoot 44% from the arc, 88% from the line and have a turnover rate of 18%. 

This…thought Parker on the floor when UM pulled away in first half, too. Would love to know his +/- for this game.

15 hours ago, slufan13 said:

It's time. 

No reason to wait.

Still won’t happen imo. I think is happens at the end of the season before Brooklyn 

43 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

This…thought Parker on the floor when UM pulled away in first half, too. Would love to know his +/- for this game.

You’re correct that the lead was lost during Parker’s 7 first half mins. He was 0-4 from the floor with a turnover in that stretch. His +/- was -12, Gibby’s -15 while the Big EZ was -12.

The only positive player was Hughes at +9. Really hoping Hughes found his game last night as he finally looked like the player he could be last year.