2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Pay attention dumb$&#, I’ve been saying Ford needs to go.  I just don’t see why everyone is in love with Schertz.

In his third year, Schertz has Indiana State at 15-3, first place. Ford’s best ever in 8 years is two 12-6 marks. Couple one-bid leagues.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

In his third year, Schertz has Indiana State at 15-3, first place. Ford’s best ever in 8 years is two 12-6 marks. Couple one-bid leagues.

Given their lack of signature wins, I’m not sure that Indiana State gets an at large bid if they don’t win their tournament.

21 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Probably Moser and Mack

I agree. Those are my two favorites. 

that said, it’s maybe just semi - realistic, at best. Schertz is the best of the realistic candidates 

8 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I understand the draw of getting a younger guy who’s on the rise. The problem is I just don’t see who they’ve beat this year. I don’t wanna get too excited about a guy who hasn’t really accomplished anything this year, at least not yet. If Drake is your best win this year and you also lost to Drake that’s not all that exciting.

so you want to penalize the guy who has been shunned by the afraid to play big boys?   hell we cant get big schools to play and we are in a major metro area.   he has to get schools to want to come to Terre Haute Indiana.   plus the MVC does nothing for those wanted opponents.  you just know they are preaching "we have nothing to gain playing you."

Soderball likes this

32 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Mack and Moser would be great. Schertz feels more realistic. 

But our leaders will screw it up somehow 

Why would Moser leave Oklahoma? That's nuts.

Mack is a possibility.

Schertz I would be fine with. He's on an upswing and we can see what he can do with some real financial backing here for NIL. He has some nice players we can transfer in.

21 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Mack is a possibility.

Schertz I would be fine with. He's on an upswing and we can see what he can do with some real financial backing here for NIL. He has some nice players we can transfer in.

You post here all the time man, it’s been mentioned many times there were National rumors he was looking to get out of Norman. 

11 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

We could also be a year too early on realizing he can’t beat anyone better than Drake.   I’m not saying the Schertz guys are wrong.  I’m just saying there’s no evidence their right, and all they are basing things on is really, really hoping he does well.

Maybe the Wiz could tell us where Drake would stand if they were playing in the A-10 this year.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

Mack is a possibility.

Castiglione, the OU AD is retiring.  If you’re a football or basketball coach from a Power 5 school it’s only a matter of time before the new AD hires “his” guy.  It happens most of the time.

Moser has made a lot and can get out before he’s sent out.

25 minutes ago, TRN said:

Castiglione, the OU AD is retiring.  If you’re a football or basketball coach from a Power 5 school it’s only a matter of time before the new AD hires “his” guy.  It happens most of the time.

Moser has made a lot and can get out before he’s sent out.

Getting sent out implies a nice buyout. When has "i made a lot" been a reason to not make more. What planet are you living on?

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

You post here all the time man, it’s been mentioned many times there were National rumors he was looking to get out of Norman. 

getting Moser is up there with Zombie Rick Majerus on my wish list. Moser would be the perfect candidate. Unfortunately we did not go for him when we should have. I think those rumors are wild speculation.

11 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Getting sent out implies a nice buyout. When has "i made a lot" been a reason to not make more. What planet are you living on?

I live on Earth and am talking about reality in coaching.  Some people choose to make the decisions themselves rather than getting sh*tcanned waiting for a buyout. 

He can make the same amount elsewhere and not live in hillbilly land.

57 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Maybe the Wiz could tell us where Drake would stand if they were playing in the A-10 this year.

To avoid a few more questions...let's do the whole thing now....

In a simulation....

Drake... Finishes 3rd in the A-10 behind Day and Rich

Ind St...Finishes 2nd in the A-10 behind Day

The Bills....Finishes  11th out of 12 in the MVC

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Mack and Moser would be great. Schertz feels more realistic. 

But our leaders will screw it up somehow 

I don’t see Moser at SLU. Someone said he might be waiting on the Creighton job, his Alma mater. I’d prefer Mack but would he prefer SLU. 

38 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

In a simulation....

Doesn't matter much but seems we'd be higher than that?  Since Jan 1st (start of conf play for most), SLU ranks #195.  While these MVC teams are (much)lower:  Mo state #214, Ill chi #233, Evansville #260, Valpo #280. This per Torvik.

54 minutes ago, TRN said:

I live on Earth and am talking about reality in coaching.  Some people choose to make the decisions themselves rather than getting sh*tcanned waiting for a buyout. 

He can make the same amount elsewhere and not live in hillbilly land.

Norman is essentially a suburb of OKC but I get what you're saying. There are some really great college towns (Ann Arbor) and some that would be on par with living in hell (Huntington, Stillwater, and Olean). Personally, I don't think I could coach/live in a college town where Kum & Go grab-n-go pizza slices and a 60-ounce soda fountain Coke (only $1!!) are considered a culinary treat unless my options were extremely limited.

I think Ford truly loves coaching in STL because (despite what the national and local media tells you) STL has a lot of good things to offer. That, and getting paid $2.5M to run around with no accountability like a monkey flinging his own poop.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

In a simulation....

Thanks The Wiz.  It would be nice if we had a coach for at the start could beat every team in the A-10 except the top 2.  If we could finish 3rd in the A-10 that would be an improvement on what CTF has been able to achieve during his tenure here.

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Anyone who thinks SLU has a realistic shot at landing Moser should he leave OU….pass me whatever you’re smoking. Would love to be wrong on that. 

I really hate the Land Thieves so I'm biased but I agree with this sentiment. Though if it happened I'd love to see them breakdown.  Almost as good as Aggie tears.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

In a simulation....

Interesting you have Richmond ahead of Drake.  I think Drake is a legit bubble team and I don’t see Richmond as that right now.  What am I missing?

Today's Jerry Palm Bracketology has Richmond in as a #12 seed

IF , we move on from Ford , and UCF were to let Johnny Dawkins go, would that be someone to consider??

I was hoping we would have hired him when Stanford let him go, bit UCF got him first...

Been a rough year as newcomer in Big 12, but do have 3 wins over ranked opponents...

Thoughts?