2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think a main factor why Ford and May haven’t been fired by now is SLU leadership unwilling to admit failure? If that’s the case can someone slap them and explain what they are doing now makes them look even weaker and more incompetent?! I’m sure there are details to the contract for Ford we have no clue about, however he can be put on leave and officially fired at a later date. Just get him away from this program asap. Same with Chris May. 

30 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Do you think a main factor why Ford and May haven’t been fired by now is SLU leadership unwilling to admit failure? If that’s the case can someone slap them and explain what they are doing now makes them look even weaker and more incompetent?! I’m sure there are details to the contract for Ford we have no clue about, however he can be put on leave and officially fired at a later date. Just get him away from this program asap. Same with Chris May. 

No. May knows it's a failure, I think Ford believes he can turn this around. 

37 minutes ago, slu92 said:

I don't think it matters if you fire Ford now or after the season.  Firing him now doesn't get you a jump on hiring your next guy.  People keep sayin it does, but it just isn't true.  If the people that matter have decided Ford is gone (I believe they have), they have already started the process of securing a coach for next season.

If May is headed out the door, they are going to offer him the chance to make it look like he has decided to retire and to take some kind of fundraising post in his retirement.  Many donors like Chris May and I think he gets a chance to save face because of that.

Interesting article by Isaac Trotter on 247sports.com. The transfer portal is apparently not any kind of guaranteed way to put together a team that wins instantly. It may work in a few cases, but those examples are outliers, not what the majority of the teams can expect. From the article:

Ten notable teams throughout college basketball filled their respective rosters with seven or more transfers from the 2023 cycle. All eight of the high-major teams on that list are on pace to miss the NCAA tournament.

link to the article: https://247sports.com/Article/college-basketball-transfer-portal-arkansas-st-johns-memphis-tigers-arizona-state-ucf-west-virginia-penn-state-227459039/

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Interesting article by Isaac Trotter on 247sports.com. The transfer portal is apparently not any kind of guaranteed way to put together a team that wins instantly. It may work in a few cases, but those examples are outliers, not what the majority of the teams can expect. From the article:

Ten notable teams throughout college basketball filled their respective rosters with seven or more transfers from the 2023 cycle. All eight of the high-major teams on that list are on pace to miss the NCAA tournament.

link to the article: https://247sports.com/Article/college-basketball-transfer-portal-arkansas-st-johns-memphis-tigers-arizona-state-ucf-west-virginia-penn-state-227459039/

Writing for 247 Sports, Isaac Trotter addressed the transfer issue:

Arkansas went big-game hunting in the portal, per usual. Eric Musselman brought in seven transfers and was lauded as a top-15 team nationally in the preseason. The Hogs are (13-13) with a boatload of issues. The rotation changes daily. Musselman has been searching for answers all year long and none have appeared. It's been an abject disaster.

More than half of the roster is filled with transfers from the 2023 cycle at NC State, Arizona State, Memphis and UCF. None are remotely close to the Big Dance bubble.

Kansas State’s Jerome Tang, Mizzou’s Dennis Gates and Iowa State’s T.J. Otzelberger used some help in the portal to build NCAA Tournament-caliber teams in Year 1, but they might be the outlier, not the norm. This iffy year for St. John’s and a losing record for Penn State's Mike Rhoades is closer to normal.

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Writing for 247 Sports, Isaac Trotter addressed the transfer issue:

Arkansas went big-game hunting in the portal, per usual. Eric Musselman brought in seven transfers and was lauded as a top-15 team nationally in the preseason. The Hogs are (13-13) with a boatload of issues. The rotation changes daily. Musselman has been searching for answers all year long and none have appeared. It's been an abject disaster.

More than half of the roster is filled with transfers from the 2023 cycle at NC State, Arizona State, Memphis and UCF. None are remotely close to the Big Dance bubble.

Kansas State’s Jerome Tang, Mizzou’s Dennis Gates and Iowa State’s T.J. Otzelberger used some help in the portal to build NCAA Tournament-caliber teams in Year 1, but they might be the outlier, not the norm. This iffy year for St. John’s and a losing record for Penn State's Mike Rhoades is closer to normal.

CTRL + C  ->  CTRL + V

I know there are so many names out there and I’m not advocating for anyone, needs to be a thorough search 100%. I didn’t remember this but DeSmet was at bottom of barrel and Ahearn got all those kids that later contributed to a state title run to come there, he was in pros when kids matured. Now DeSmet is a very healthy program years later. I still go back to the Spurs hiring him out of HS and he wins a GLeague championship. That seems like a crazier stretch than going from NBA to SLU. I’m indifferent but if a guy like that is willing to leave NBA for SLU, he’d be committed because nobody else would do that. I just don’t see it happening but interesting to say the least. He’s as big of risk v reward as anyone else mentioned on board. 

AGB91 likes this

Just now, slu92 said:

I know there are so many names out there and I’m not advocating for anyone needs to be a thorough search. I didn’t remember this by DeSmet was at bottom of barrel and Ahearn got all those kids that later contributed to a state title run to come there, he was in pros when kids matured. Now DeSmet is a very healthy program years later. I still go back to the Spurs hiring him out of HS and he wins a GLeague championship. That seems like a crazier stretch than going from NBA to SLU. I’m indifferent but if a guy like that is willing to leave NBA for SLU, he’d be committed because nobody else would do that. I just don’t see it happening but interesting to say the least. He’s as big of risk v reward as anyone else mentioned on board. 

There are bigger things than St. Louis Private High School affiliations my guy. 

TheBand likes this

Folks that want to even discuss hiring an NBA assistant for the SLU coaching position don't want SLU to be successful. Ahearn has zero relevant experience to being the head coach for a high level Division 1 basketball program. 

Look at Jerry Stackhouse for how "but he won the G-league blah blah blah" works out. 

10 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Folks that want to even discuss hiring an NBA assistant for the SLU coaching position don't want SLU to be successful. Ahearn has zero relevant experience to being the head coach for a high level Division 1 basketball program. 

Look at Jerry Stackhouse for how "but he won the G-league blah blah blah" works out. 

Billy Lange had ncaa asst experience

I think it all comes down to who a coach hires for their staff. If they let their egos get in the way and surround themselves with yes men, bad results will typically follow. I know with Stackhouse some of his hires were questionable at the time. Adds up. Honestly whether it’s Indiana State guy or Northwest guy, all a crap shoot, esp at SLU. 

AGB91 likes this

Ahearn has a reputation for being a sharp basketball mind and I've been hearing he has some respect in coaching circles. That said, if I'm hiring him, it's because about a dozen other candidates didn't work out. SLU must get this next hire right and there's a little too much risk in Ahearn.

billiken_roy and Bilzz like this

1 minute ago, slu92 said:

I think it all comes down to who a coach hires for their staff. If they let their egos get in the way and surround themselves with yes men, bad results will typically follow. I know with Stackhouse some of his hires were questionable at the time. Adds up. Honestly whether it’s Indiana State guy or Northwest guy, all a crap shoot, esp at SLU. 

Its a risky hire. Track record for these types are out, and its not good. Is there a chance someone like Blake works out, of course, but its too Risky for the type of hire we need right now. 

slu92 likes this

Just now, wgstl said:

Its a risky hire. Track record for these types are out, and its not good. Is there a chance someone like Blake works out, of course, but its too Risky for the type of hire we need right now. 

Listen I like idea only because guy is local, if he did leave NBA for SLU probably means he would want to be there long term. If after interviewing several people and he was best qualified, had best plan. Fine!  ALL I was trying to say! He isn’t my guy, just an interesting “idea” to kick around. Has nothing to do with what high school he went to or anything like that. Same reasoning everyone loved Corey Tate being on the staff when Travis was hired. If SLU is serious give Mack a blank check, do it quickly and get rolling, that’s my suggestion. Holy cow!