What are the chances Bradley get his waiver granted this week??

BLIKNS

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the bigger question is why our "recruiters" even waste time on someone without academic credentials.

Because the recruiting effort was the equivalent of gift shopping at Walgreens on Christmas Day. You forgot or the other stuff didn't come in the mail in time so you have to get what ya can before you drive to Grandma's house.

We took what we could get when the Primary and Secondary targets didn't work out.

majerus mojo, Pistol and Compton like this

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the bigger question is why our "recruiters" even waste time on someone without academic credentials.

I think you're on the right track. However, I think the more pointed question is who was supposed to catch the academic/compliance issues. I'm guessing that person is one who is no longer employed by the AD. 

37 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Magassa is listed as an enrolled student at Saint Louis University SLU People Finder, under Academic Affairs.   I'm not sure what this is. 

For those interested, his email is listed in People Finder as [email protected]   You might ask him about his situation, if curious enough.   I find it is best to have facts prior to pointing fingers. 

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think you're on the right track. However, I think the more pointed question is who was supposed to catch the academic/compliance issues. I'm guessing that person is one who is no longer employed by the AD. 

I don't know.  When it comes to the athletic department, I could believe a screw up that big could happen, but the kid got admitted to SLU.  I have a harder time believing the school's office of admission is screwing up that bad.

Now could the AD's compliance people have screwed up the paperwork submitted to the NCAA on multiple occasions?  That I could believe.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't know.  When it comes to the athletic department, I could believe a screw up that big could happen, but the kid got admitted to SLU.  I have have a harder time believing the school's office of admission is screwing up that bad.

Now could the AD's compliance people have screwed up the paperwork submitted to the NCAA on multiple occasions?  That I could believe.

You're probably more accurately locating where on the timeline the issue occurred than I. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

So you think the school would admit a kid with the equivalent of welding certificate from France?

No - Upchurch completed all the courses the school told him to complete to be eligible under NCAA requirements.  Where the problem came was that the Jesuit making the final decision said on second thought no.  Grawer got the school to agree to use the NCAA requirements as the line after the fiasco   The Jesuit who torpedoed Upchurch was applying benchmarks for what the non-athlete had to meet.  I guess he did not get the memo.  By the way I knew this Jesuit and he was a big a$$ and was constantly throwing his weight around.  Lets not kid ourselves, an athlete can get into just about any school with less credentials then other students.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

No - Upchurch completed all the courses the school told him to complete to be eligible under NCAA requirements.  Where the problem came was that the Jesuit making the final decision said on second thought no.  Grawer got the school to agree to use the NCAA requirements as the line after the fiasco   The Jesuit who torpedoed Upchurch was applying benchmarks for what the non-athlete had to meet.  I guess he did not get the memo.  By the way I knew this Jesuit and he was a big a$$ and was constantly throwing his weight around.  Lets not kid ourselves, an athlete can get into just about any school with less credentials then other students.

This will never not piss me off.  

AGB91 likes this

It seems like every decade or so, someone inside of SLU steps up and does something that devastates men's bb. Upchurch was a killer. SLU did not quickly change its view of men's bb as a result.

Grawer had lots of fights, including facilities,  recruiting budget and travel expenses. I have great respect for his accomplishments, especially given the many handicaps he had.

brianstl, Dr Bird and SLU_Lax like this

59 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

It seems like every decade or so, someone inside of SLU steps up and does something that devastates men's bb. Upchurch was a killer. SLU did not quickly change its view of men's bb as a result.

Grawer had lots of fights, including facilities,  recruiting budget and travel expenses. I have great respect for his accomplishments, especially given the many handicaps he had.

Grawer saved Billiken basketball.

Period.

If a judge were to grant an injunction, it would likely render any Division I college athletes currently seeking a waiver as immediately eligible to participate.

“We will hear from the court once this is assigned to a judge about how quickly they can have our first conference. We’re asking for emergency relief here,” said Yost. “Every day that goes by here is continuing harm. I hope to get a preliminary ruling in a matter of days, not weeks.”

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is what I've been saying we need the bare minimum rules. That's how you keep college sports. Less rules, less court cases. I like the idea of student athletes and cheering for players as they develop, but sadly that's not where we're at. So to keep some semblance of what we know we need to allow players freedom. 

More changes coming. When these court decisions are made it's not a phased in process it's immediate. So we gotta be ready.

23 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This is what I've been saying we need the bare minimum rules. That's how you keep college sports. Less rules, less court cases. I like the idea of student athletes and cheering for players as they develop, but sadly that's not where we're at. So to keep some semblance of what we know we need to allow players freedom. 

More changes coming. When these court decisions are made it's not a phased in process it's immediate. So we gotta be ready.

A simple question for you.  Would you be in favor in allowing in-season (semester break) transfers with immediate eligibility?  Students can transfer at semester break and be eligible to obtain credits for their degrees.  Why not basketball players being eligible to play immediately?  As we all know, players do transfer at semester break but have to sit out. 

All pro sports allow for mid season transactions.  College basketball is all but a professional sport.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but if we want free transfers across the board, then this has to be allowed.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A simple question for you.  Would you be in favor in allowing in-season (semester break) transfers with immediate eligibility?  Students can transfer at semester break and be eligible to obtain credits for their degrees.  Why not basketball players being eligible to play immediately?  All pro sports allow for this.  College basketball is all but a professional sport.

I posted before that I think the limit on mid-season transfers is reasonable to protect the integrity of the game. Let's say for instance CFP match up, 1 school could lure away the QB of the other team in December before the match up in January. Or in a basketball conference you take a key player from a team ahead of you in the standings, then in January they play against their old team. I know this happens in pro sports but in season it's trades, free agent moves aren't in season.

I think that the courts would see that as a reasonable limitation to protect the integrity of the game.

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A simple question for you.  Would you be in favor in allowing in-season (semester break) transfers with immediate eligibility?  Students can transfer at semester break and be eligible to obtain credits for their degrees.  Why not basketball players being eligible to play immediately?  As we all know, players do transfer at semester break but have to sit out. 

All pro sports allow for mid season transactions.  College basketball is all but a professional sport.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but if we want free transfers across the board, then this has to be allowed.

I think this will happen eventually.

I'm wondering how long "academic" eligibility factors will continue to be used. I'm pretty sure those will be next after the transfer stuff is eliminated.

and it's not "all but" .. this is minor league sports. Players, coaches, everyone is paid to play.

The athletes are playing a very dangerous game when it comes to some of the court cases they have filed.  If they have the veil of amateurism removed from college sports, the money they think will be there for them won't.  In fact, in short time it will be dramatically less money available to them and less available to them in other benefits.  If D1 sports is operated as minor league sports, it will quickly be viewed by the public as minor league sports.  When that happens, the money following in will become minor league money.  Minor league athletes make peanuts, minor athletes have crappy housing, minor league athletes practice/play in subpar facilities and minor league athletes aren't getting scholarships.

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The athletes are playing a very dangerous game when it comes to some of the court cases they have filed.  If they have the veil of amateurism removed from college sports, the money they think will be there for them won't.  In fact, in short time it will be dramatically less money available to them and less available to them in other benefits.  If D1 sports is operated as minor league sports, it will quickly be viewed by the public as minor league sports.  When that happens, the money following in will become minor league money.  Minor league athletes make peanuts, minor athletes have crappy housing, minor league athletes practice/play in subpar facilities and minor league athletes aren't getting scholarships.

You may be correct.  I agree that people will lose their real interest in college sports in many places where they have other options. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

You may be correct.  I agree that people will lose their real interest in college sports in many places where they have other options. 

The big issue will be losing the national tv audience and the payout for media rights that comes with it.  People don't watch minor league championships and sure in the hell don't watch minor league regular seasons.  The veil of amateurism causes the public to view college sports differently than minor league sports.  If the veil is removed, the gig is up.

cheeseman and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

What you can bet on is everyone acting in their own best interest. The athletes will do so to get paid. These lawsuits see big $ that came into schools and conferences and they got none.  The NCAA, Conferences and Schools would be smart to settle and avoid some binding ruling that will lead to college sports transforming. Then they need to be leaders in moving towards a model that is a compromise which can withstand anti-trust and other challenges.