Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

SLU's Return on Investment (ROI) is bad. Ford's salary is more than the entire budget of La Salle. His salary is more than half of the entire budget of 12 of 15 A10 Schools. Total waste, complete negligence by AD May.

image.jpeg.fe50dfba7776cf089755622d1bd75128.jpeg

BillTheCat likes this

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Wow, the reading comprehension is really suffering here lately.   If a coach that could turn us into Gonzaga is two years away I’d rather wait.  I’d much rather wait for that guy than hire somebody who is not going to work out next year.  I can’t imagine anyone disagree with that.
if a really good coach is available this off-season, let’s get him.

Nope, no reading problem. you say sit and wait for the right coach as if this is a draft and we are the first overall pick. That’s not how this works, even if we waited for the right coach doesn’t mean we outbid him or get him.

so we would be burning years for nothing

Bizziken and cheeseman like this

41 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

SLU's Return on Investment (ROI) is bad. Ford's salary is more than the entire budget of La Salle. His salary is more than half of the entire budget of 12 of 15 A10 Schools. Total waste, complete negligence by AD May.

Total Budget for FAU's Final Four basketball program this past cycle - $2,005,331.

Finances aren't the issue, it's culture and leadership.  

9 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

Total Budget for FAU's Final Four basketball program this past cycle - $2,005,331.

Finances aren't the issue, it's culture and leadership.  

That's what I'm illustrating the support is here.  Also, framing the argument in a way a BoT member or non-sports fan can understand. I could say that the team doesn't effectively set screens, or shift in the 2-3 zone quick enough or guard the perimeter. But that takes knowledge of the game.  Dollars and ROI that's hard cold facts anyone can grasp.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

That's what I'm illustrating the support is here.  Also, framing the argument in a way a BoT member or non-sports fan can understand. 

Oh, I know... I was just curious and tried to find an even more poignant example outside the conference.

FAU was a Final Four team last year who's entire basketball budget was less than Ford's salary.  

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

If we lose on Wednesday, meet at Hump’s after the game and start collecting $ for this billboard?

Don’t threaten me with a good time. Down to meet any MBM’s on Wednesday after the game at Humphs to talk strategy.  Let’s take over the world. 

4 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If anyone of power at SLU has any brains at all...the AD who hired SLU must go in addition to Travis Ford. 

slu92 likes this

Was at Loyola game and mbb really sucks, I can’t listen to “just wait until we get healthy bs” this isn’t a young team of talented kids, might as well add wbb to the list as well, still NO sod (which is laughable to begin with should be turf) on baseball field and it’s almost mid January, still don’t have an answer that ALL student athletes can eat at CC and we are still employing the dumbest AD and Assistant AD in all of NCAA. IF the leadership at slu is serious about winning….the need to clean house now. Don’t wait. Whole place is a dysfunctional mess. At least give everyone hope that you recognize things are bad and you want it fixed. 

7 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Champions Center…. A multimillion dollar cafeteria for the 7-8 last place A10 bball team

Hey there's also a film room to review your film to improve and scout the next opponent for game plans. It's yet to be used so it's pristine.

NextYearBill and thetorch like this

Here is the current SLU BoT:

https://www.slu.edu/about/leadership/board-of-trustees.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=[*Campaign*]&utm_content=[*Adgroup*]&utm_term=[*searchterm*]&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADtJPA-Wee9ouu3q8SRJce4eHR5E-

With exception of Jim Kavanaugh, nobody else on that board screams athletics or has real knowledge of sports. You might even want add Chaifetz to that list now because he’s been around long enough to know that Chris May, Travis Ford and Jim Crews are/were bad hires and went along with all of them. My point is a guy like Joe Conran, smart man, very good lawyer, great donor, only knows what Chris May tells him. He’s not a 2024/new age NIL guru, sports guy and shouldn’t have to be. That’s not his job. However, I’ve been hoping he’s starting to realize after the last couple of years that Chris May is a total moron and not good at his job. Again, I’m hopeful. Wasn’t it Chris May who said last March “As long as I’m the AD at SLU, Travis Ford is going to be the coach for a long time.” He’s truly a buffoon. 

Look at the state of the current department. Run by Chris May and Janet Oberle, neither one of them screams athletics too. Maybe May ran track, was a swimmer or was a cheerleader, who knows or who cares, he doesn’t know basketball. Oberle has only worked at slu her whole adult life. That’s terrible and concerning she only knows what she knows bc of SLU. That’s a red flag imo. Those are the day to day caretakers of slu athletics. Think about that. Men’s soccer was run into the ground. Mbb is run into the ground, wbb looks shaky right now at best. Baseball and softball facilities can’t compete with local high schools at the minimum. It’s all right in front of all of us.

These people are not serious or accomplished people to move department forward in new age of NIL NCAA athletics. Doing same things last 40 years has gotten us to where we are now and slu is falling even further behind. 

IF SLU is serious they should ask the likes of alumni/local sports people like Jim Kavanaugh, Joe Wiley, Rich Grawer, Chris Sloan (NFL executive), Scott Highmark, Troy Robertson, Kristin Folkl, Jackie Joyner, Frank Cusamano, Martin Kilcoyne, Danny Mac, Joe Buck, Bernie, etc to really evaluate the state of SLU athletics and come up with a master plan, with real goals, a real vision, fundraising and benchmarks. Then look to hire leadership within that department that can execute. It’s now or never. 

Bob O is a wonderful man. Very successful, but he himself said “I knew we had the right guy for the job, when we were on that plane with Travis Ford.” Uh, Mr. O no offense you are a great supporter but I doubt you’d take Chris May or Travis Ford’s advice on building a new venue or hotel, just like a competent AD shouldn’t need or expect your advice on who a good basketball coach hire should be. We need real sports people to save SLU. 

Otherwise rinse and repeat and expect more of the same results. SLU has everything needed to compete at a very high level. Just need capable people running the decision making and raising new/big money for facilities and NIL. Chris May can’t even get CC paid off yet! Again, he is a buffoon! Can’t help it. 

17 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Here is the current SLU BoT:

https://www.slu.edu/about/leadership/board-of-trustees.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=[*Campaign*]&utm_content=[*Adgroup*]&utm_term=[*searchterm*]&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADtJPA-Wee9ouu3q8SRJce4eHR5E-

With exception of Jim Kavanaugh, nobody else on that board screams athletics or has real knowledge of sports. You might even want add Chaifetz to that list now because he’s been around long enough to know that Chris May, Travis Ford and Jim Crews are/were bad hires and went along with all of them. My point is a guy like Joe Conran, smart man, very good lawyer, great donor, only knows what Chris May tells him. He’s not a 2024/new age NIL guru, sports guys and shouldn’t have to be. That’s not his job. However, I’ve been hoping he’s starting to realize after the last couple of years that Chris May is a total moron and not good at his job. Again, I’m hopeful. 

Look at the state of the current department. Run by Chris May and Janet Oberle, neither one of them screams athletics too. Maybe May ran track, was a swimmer or was a cheerleader, who knows or who cares, he doesn’t know basketball. Oberle has only worked at slu her whole adult life. That’s terrible and concerning she only knows what she knows bc of SLU. That’s a red flag imo. Those are the day to day caretakers of slu athletics. Think about that. Men’s soccer was run into the ground. Mbb is run into the ground, wbb looks shaky right now at best. Baseball and softball facilities can’t compete with local high schools at the minimum. It’s all right in front of all of us.

These people are not serious or accomplished people to move department forward in new age of NIL NCAA athletics. Doing same things last 40 years has gotten us to where we are now and slu is falling even further behind. 

IF SLU is serious they should ask the likes of alumni/local sports people like Jim Kavanaugh, Joe Wiley, Rich Grawer, Chris Sloan (NFL executive), Scott Highmark, Troy Robertson, Kristin Folkl, Jackie Joyner, Frank Cusamano, Martin Kilcoyne, Danny Mac, Joe Buck, Bernie, etc to really evaluate the state of SLU athletics and come up with a master plan, with real goals, a real vision, fundraising and benchmarks. Then look to hire leadership within that department that can execute. It’s now or never. 

Bob O is a wonderful man. Very successful, but he himself said “I knew we had the right guy for the job, when we were on that plane with Travis Ford.” Uh, Mr. O no offense you are a great supporter but I doubt you’d take Chris May or Travis Ford’s advice on building a new venue or hotel. We need real sports people to save SLU. 

Otherwise rinse and repeat and expect more of the same results. SLU has everything needed to compete at a very high level. Just need capable people running the decision making and raising new/big money for facilities and NIL. Chris May can’t even get CC paid off yet!

Chaifetz is on the Board.  Garazinini was the President of L of Chicago and he hired Moser I believe.

3 hours ago, slu92 said:

I don't know what they know or don't know.  Maybe they really know the finer points of the dribble drive offense. I don't know it wouldn't show up on a resume. However, ball don't lie. Results are apparent in relation to money spent.

As for a panel, that could work to help form a search committee for an AD, basketball coach and set realistic Athletic Department goals to gain alignment amongst all interested parties. So I'm behind that it's good and creates buy-in.

But, SLU once upon a time was spending at the La Salle level we were at the bottom practicing in West Pine Gym and competing with some good programs. Now SLU has a great arena, a Champions Center, spending upper echelon on a coach. We need the results to match the expenditure. The excuses for not winning no longer exist. It's time.

Schasz likes this

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't know what they know or don't know.  Maybe they really know the finer points of the dribble drive offense. I don't know it wouldn't show up on a resume. However, ball don't lie. Results are apparent in relation to money spent.

As for a panel, that could work to help form a search committee for an AD, basketball coach and set realistic Athletic Department goals to gain alignment amongst all interested parties. So I'm behind that it's good and creates buy-in.

But, SLU once upon a time was spending at the La Salle level we were at the bottom practicing in West Pine Gym and competing with some good programs. Now SLU has a great arena, a Champions Center, spending upper echelon on a coach. We need the results to match the expenditure. The excuses for not winning no longer exist. It's time.

Should we actually find us looking for a new coach the last thing we need is a search committee.   Search committees take time to function.  I guess a small group of 3-4 could work but they need to begin working now.  We have to be ready to strike quickly.  Most schools zero in on somebody and take days not weeks to hire.  A short list needs to already be formulating.  Before the season is over a list of 2-3 needs to have already been narrowed down and some type of feeling out done.  

cgeldmacher likes this

On 1/6/2024 at 5:54 PM, TheChosenOne said:

If we lose on Wednesday, meet at Hump’s after the game and start collecting $ for this billboard?

I was thinking today about an easy way to find this.  Here are my thoughts.  Total up what you’d spend going to a home game.  Parking $15.  Soda and popcorn for the kids. $15   A beer and pretzel $17 etc.  Don’t  go to the next 2-3 games.  Take the money you’d usually spend at the game and donate it to the billboard.  Attendance takes a hit.  We get a billboard.  And nobody spent anything more than normal.  

Well we literally have Travis' family members on Twitter using burner accounts to harass upset Billiken fans. What's next?

Maybe those conspiracies of certain people on Billikens.com being Ford family members isn't so crazy 🤣

What a time to be alive.

JMM28 likes this

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Well we literally have Travis' family members on Twitter using burner accounts to harass upset Billiken fans. What's next?

Maybe those conspiracies of certain people on Billikens.com being Ford family members isn't so crazy 🤣

What a time to be alive.

You aren’t kidding.

1.) Assuming his son is correct, it’s a $10 million dollar buyout to end Travis Ford’s contract. I don’t see the BOT dipping into the SLU endowment for this under any circumstances, which means a donor needs to step up with at least $10 mil, plus additional money to hire the new guy.  Not sure who Travis Ford’s agent is, but I want that guy negotiating for me, clearly he’s an outstanding agent.

2.) So which identities on here are Ford relatives? Just curious.