Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

17 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

Please go away.  You are one of the more toxic/disturbed people on here.

He has a bunch of kids - many of them freshman - who likely read this board and definitely read social media that says they suck and their coach sucks.  What do you expect him to do?  Agree?  Of course, he is going to stick up for himself and his guys.  It is also a great rallying cry for the team to prove the haters wrong.

What is toxic/disturbed about anything I said?  What’s disturbing is winning a buy game by 3, a week after losing by 40 to a local rival, and feeling secure enough in your job to start taking pot shots at fans who are “negative” about the direction of this program.  

No one is “attacking” any “kids”.  It is acceptable to discuss the performance of grown men who are being paid to play Division 1 basketball.  The whole “kids” thing went out the window with NIL.  You can thank the NCAA for that.

With that said, majority of “haters”, myself included, place the blame for the state of this program squarely at the feet of Ford and May. I have no problem with any of the players, they’re doing their best I’m sure. 

Nice of you to pop up after beating Hofstra by 3 though.  Must’ve missed you taking your moral high ground after SIU-C last week. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

The “18 point choke job at Drake” was simply that a depleted team ran out of gas.  To call it a “choke job” is the type of negativity that Ford is probably referring to.  If I were a player, I certainly wouldn’t be happy reading about how we choked.

Fact: The Bills lost after leading at one point by 18 points. Fact: Over the past three seasons, the Bills have repeatedly lost double digit leads…and thus. no postseason.

No negativity in these objective statements, just negative outcomes.

1 hour ago, Billfan7 said:

To TheA_Bomb I will now leave this thread and let the circle jerk with the other nattering nabobs of negativism continue while the silent majority of Billiken fans realize this will be taken care of after the season by higher powers than a bunch of MBMs.  When it is taken care of by those higher powers, please feel free to take all the credit. 

“Silent majority” 

Imagine thinking it's only a game and being annoyed at all the negativity but still clicking on the thread and responding.

So weird to be mad at fellow fans and not the 27 year experience coach being paid $2.5mil/yr to never win a regular season conference title and lose to SIUC, SIUE etc. Or the guy that gave him that terrible contract.

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Even Crews and Ekker and so on didn't blame fans.

Maybe Ford has Hypengyophobia he blames the players and the fans.

27 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

What is toxic/disturbed about anything I said?  What’s disturbing is winning a buy game by 3, a week after losing by 40 to a local rival, and feeling secure enough in your job to start taking pot shots at fans who are “negative” about the direction of this program.  

No one is “attacking” any “kids”.  It is acceptable to discuss the performance of grown men who are being paid to play Division 1 basketball.  The whole “kids” thing went out the window with NIL.  You can thank the NCAA for that.

With that said, majority of “haters”, myself included, place the blame for the state of this program squarely at the feet of Ford and May. I have no problem with any of the players, they’re doing their best I’m sure. 

Nice of you to pop up after beating Hofstra by 3 though.  Must’ve missed you taking your moral high ground after SIU-C last week. 

Correction, this was not a buy game. Part of a home and home. Let the bashing proceed.

23 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Imagine thinking it's only a game and being annoyed at all the negativity but still clicking on the thread and responding.

So weird to be mad at fellow fans and not the 27 year experience coach being paid $2.5mil/yr to never win a regular season conference title and lose to SIUC, SIUE etc. Or the guy that gave him that terrible contract.

It’s comical that people asked for a separate thread for people to voice their displeasure with May and Ford.  Now, some of those people are coming into that thread to tell people to not complain.  You can’t make this stuff up.  There’s always going to be a Pollyanna wing of Billikens fandom that thinks it’s never ok to criticize any facet of SLU.

slufan13 likes this

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Correction, this was not a buy game. Part of a home and home. Let the bashing proceed.

Wow.  It did cross my mind that MAYBE it wasn’t a buy game, but I didn’t know our reputation had fallen so far that that would even be possible, so I didn’t look it up. 

43 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Wow.  It did cross my mind that MAYBE it wasn’t a buy game, but I didn’t know our reputation had fallen so far that that would even be possible, so I didn’t look it up. 

Hey hey, Villanova is in the CAA.*

We can't afford buy games because all you annoying fans just want to complain and not sign over your checks.

*For FCS football

8 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

To TheA_Bomb I will now leave this thread and let the circle jerk with the other nattering nabobs of negativism continue while the silent majority of Billiken fans realize this will be taken care of after the season by higher powers than a bunch of MBMs.  When it is taken care of by those higher powers, please feel free to take all the credit. 

The silent majority is the reason mediocrity has reign supreme at SLU for as long as most of us have been alive.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:47 PM, OkieBilliken said:

Didn’t our women’s team miss games?   Should have fired Stone earlier?   If you don’t remember the massive amount of games missed in all of the sports in all conferences, I can’t help you.   I had football tickets in three consecutive weeks for different ACC and SEC football games that were all cancelled.   They must have all gone to the Travis “super spreader” events.  I bet some people are devastated we pulled out that win today.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:47 PM, OkieBilliken said:

Didn’t our women’s team miss games?   Should have fired Stone earlier?   If you don’t remember the massive amount of games missed in all of the sports in all conferences, I can’t help you.   I had football tickets in three consecutive weeks for different ACC and SEC football games that were all cancelled.   They must have all gone to the Travis “super spreader” events.  I bet some people are devastated we pulled out that win today.

I see you still can't refute this FACT: In D1 hoops, "Most other teams that season managed to do it and avoid the super spreaders."

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

I see you still can't refute this FACT: In D1 hoops, "Most other teams that season managed to do it and avoid the super spreaders."

This will be my last comment on the Travis/Covid issue.   The administration did not suspend or fire Travis at the time because they clearly didn't think he did anything to warrant.      So why this continues to be an issue is perplexing   

Many college teams in all sports had games cancelled/players ruled ineligible due to Covid.   SLU was not an outlier.   You can believe otherwise,  I don't have the time or interest to pull data on games lost/postponed/rescheduled due to Covid, but I have a pretty good memory and know it was a lot.   We can agree to disagree.   No school that I can recall took action against a coach for not locking down their team more diligently.  A vast majority of college athletes who tested positive had little or no symptoms.   You can believe otherwise.  We can agree to disagree.   If we had a player or two with lingering symptoms, that's a bummer.  So was Fred Thatch's issue.  So was Sincere Parker's foot.    

Do you realize Covid is still out there?   Why the heck aren't we all in a bubble?   Every day could be a potential "super spreader"  

If this season finishes like it appears to be trending, then I think the administration should seriously consider making a coaching change.   For the unhappy fanbase to blame him for Covid outbreaks is a really bad look.    Roster construction/underperformance/lack of player development given his current salary are MUCH better arguments to make.   

13 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

If this season finishes like it appears to be trending, then I think the administration should seriously consider making a coaching change.   For the unhappy fanbase to blame him for Covid outbreaks is a really bad look.    Roster construction/underperformance/lack of player development given his current salary are MUCH better arguments to make.   

I agree with you on the bolded part. I only pointed out the flaunting of the rules. If we can't afford to Fire Ford it is a violation. It's a longshot, I recognize. As is readily apparent COVID response is a hot button issue. It was a huge deal at SLU. SLU took the measures extremely seriously. Whether you or I agree that they should've is irrelevant. To publicly violate the rules you agreed to in writing is the kind of thing people get fired for doing. That's the salient point. It's not the only point and to me and you not the most important point but it just might be to someone. Someone that put their name on a lot of emails stressing the importance of following the measures. Someone that saw a spike of suicides at their school maybe due to the isolation. Someone that took the extraordinary step to shut down the entire campus and send partial refund checks.

20 hours ago, Soderball said:

We are playing home-and-homes with the "CAA" now? That's a travesty in itself

Home-and-homes the last 15 years have included: New Mexico, Valpo, Indiana State, Boise State, Iona, Drake, Loyola Marymount, Portland, and Bowling Green. The CAA isn't really an outlier from those teams and their respective conferences.

15 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

This will be my last comment on the Travis/Covid issue.   The administration did not suspend or fire Travis at the time because they clearly didn't think he did anything to warrant.      So why this continues to be an issue is perplexing   

Many college teams in all sports had games cancelled/players ruled ineligible due to Covid.   SLU was not an outlier.   You can believe otherwise,  I don't have the time or interest to pull data on games lost/postponed/rescheduled due to Covid, but I have a pretty good memory and know it was a lot.   We can agree to disagree.   No school that I can recall took action against a coach for not locking down their team more diligently.  A vast majority of college athletes who tested positive had little or no symptoms.   You can believe otherwise.  We can agree to disagree.   If we had a player or two with lingering symptoms, that's a bummer.  So was Fred Thatch's issue.  So was Sincere Parker's foot.    

Do you realize Covid is still out there?   Why the heck aren't we all in a bubble?   Every day could be a potential "super spreader"  

I was not asking for the school to take action. Just pointing out that it was a very bad decision - for health reasons, not on the basis of defying a school policy or regulations.  Even if there were absolutely no restrictions in this country,  when you are involved in an activity where health and having a fully functioning respiratory system is crucial, going into a high risk situation at that time was simply not smart. It likely cost a trip to the Tourney.

In college basketball, SLU having a 30 plus day pause absolutely was an outlier. It was one of the longest pauses in the country, if I recall one of the 3 or 4 longest. Yes, SOME teams certainly had one or two game pauses due to one player having it, but still, MOST teams avoided long pauses and a super spreader. That's a simple fact that can't be disputed. He played with fire and got burned. It's that simple.

SLU_Lax likes this

4 minutes ago, Compton said:

Home-and-homes the last 15 years have included: New Mexico, Valpo, Indiana State, Boise State, Iona, Drake, Loyola Marymount, Portland, and Bowling Green. The CAA isn't really an outlier from those teams and their respective conferences.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with Hofstra. They're respectable and we've had a few Northeast players on the roster being in the A10 so not a bad trip to make. Also we can't really big time anybody right now.

billiken_roy and HoosierPal like this

I think a bigger deal from the Ford perspective is how harsh, strict, etc SLU was being on the rest of the SLU students/faculty/staff. Agree with the rules or not but your highest paid employee who is also one of your most public facing employees has to follow the same rules as everyone else. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

Can someone summarize all the rules for this board into one place?

- Any negative Ford talk has to take place in one specific thread

- That negative thread cannot be repetitive

- In that negativity-specific thread, we should stop talking so negative as other people want to talk about the actual season/players

What did I miss?

12 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah I don't really have a problem with Hofstra. They're respectable and we've had a few Northeast players on the roster being in the A10 so not a bad trip to make. Also we can't really big time anybody right now.

Agreed. But it's not just a now thing. We've consistently scheduled home-and-homes against mid-major teams. The year after winning the A10 and going to the tourney two years in a row we played at Indiana State and at Wichita State (who was still MVC at that time). We've always schedule home-and-homes against mid-major opponents alongside the P6s (e.g., Auburn, Vandy, K-State, Oregon State, Boston College, Seton Halls, and Butler)