GDT: SLU v. Southern Indiana

SluSignGuy

14 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Absolutely correct. The stats predictions made at this stage in the season come from last year. They are, of course, not correct because (at least in the case of tonight's game) they come from two teams that have very few returning players. Tonight could (not should or will) turn out to go in any number of directions, and the current stats available for the two competing teams are significant only because there is no way either of the two teams will manage to play the exact same way they were playing last year. You really cannot say much about transfers to a new team, this is most accurate if some of the transfers were not playing in a D1 team last year, or if they are foreigners, or if they spent a good portion of last season sitting on the bench. There are just too many unknowns involved in this game, the stats available do not help at all. We will see what happens tonight. One of the few constants for both teams (assuming Southern Indians did not change coaches since last year) are the coaches, which will most likely settle down for the season and play their teams like they always do.

In other words, anything could happen - let’s see if it will.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This all comes down to Travis. He’s gonna have to coach his arse off this season. I read an article about Pitino. Iona beat a P5 school by about 15. The opposing coach said we could have swapped players and I would have lost by 30. Pitino can coach. Can Travis is the question? After last season I have my doubts. I hope he can, but it’s time to prove it. 

Old guy likes this

24 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

If it matters, Field House is closed. 

Humphrey’s is open

1 hour before tip and humps is not as crowded as I thought. The turnout may actually be pretty bad tonight 

4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

https://x.com/studurando/status/1721677649322377419?s=46&t=aizvVpFeSBKPBwx2KFRNvQ

Bills informed “late Sunday night” Bruce Zhang has still not been cleared. NCAA is a joke.

Dude, Stu is being lied to. He has has been giving the SLU party line since the "injury" was announced. It's all nonsense. SLU was not told late Sunday night. At least not the most recent Sunday night.

gabriel, SLU_Nick and brianstl like this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dude, Stu is being lied to. He has has been giving the SLU party line since the "injury" was announced. It's all nonsense. SLU was not told late Sunday night. At least not the most recent Sunday night.

I believe you but it doesn't matter.

The season starts today and the NCAA still hasn’t ruled on a lot of players all over the country.  This should have been finished up weeks ago. 
There is absolutely zero reason this is still dragging on for any team.

34 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This all comes down to Travis. He’s gonna have to coach his arse off this season. I read an article about Pitino. Iona beat a P5 school by about 15. The opposing coach said we could have swapped players and I would have lost by 30. Pitino can coach. Can Travis is the question? After last season I have my doubts. I hope he can, but it’s time to prove it. 

Travis has 25 years of a resume to prove he can’t. Not holding my breath for a minute. 

stmdragons likes this

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I believe you but it doesn't matter.

The season starts today and the NCAA still hasn’t ruled on a lot of players all over the country.  This should have been finished up weeks ago. 
There is absolutely zero reason this is still dragging on for any team.

The NCAA has not been dragging on SLU waivers. I don’t care about any other school. I’m fed up with this athletic department screwing up and then covering it up or hiding behind being a private institution. It’s a joke and a waste of everyone’s time and money.

International player clearances and full waivers are different matters. Our international commits didn't come at the 11th hour, either. Bruce committed last fall, signed in the spring. They shouldn't still be in limbo.

The way that Tweet is worded by Stu - "The official explanation being that SLU officials were told late Sunday by the NCAA that he is not cleared. The expectation earlier in the day was that he would play in the season opener" - is absolute nonsense. That's not how it works.

At any point in time, a player is either waiting for a clearance, has been cleared, or has been given a ruling of eligible or ineligible (permanently or temporarily). They're pretending he was cleared but now suddenly isn't cleared.

The NCAA doesn't clear a player and then go back and take another look at it unless something new comes to light suddenly. That didn't happen, and it certainly didn't happen over the weekend. The official explanation doesn't pass muster.

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The NCAA has not been dragging on SLU waivers. I don’t care about any other school. I’m fed up with this athletic department screwing up and then covering it up or hiding behind being a private institution. It’s a joke and a waste of everyone’s time and money.

The athletic department has proven they have issues but the bottom line is that the NCAA needs to have everyone decided on before the start of the season. 
This is the equivalent of me giving my taxes to my accountant before his deadline and then he doesn’t finish them on time. 
If it means hiring more people or working 20 hour days that’s what needs to be done. 

I’m going with Zac was right all along. There was plenty of time for him to get cleared, PROVIDED the paperwork required was correct, issued in a timely fashion, and followed up on. The fact that we suddenly have an opening for a compliance person now speaks a lot about what happened. 

CenHudDude likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

1 hour before tip and humps is not as crowded as I thought. The turnout may actually be pretty bad tonight 

Turnout actually is exceeding my expectations. 

But not sure how much free tickets are influencing things

Was able to get in and out of Humphrey’s in 45 minutes 

7 minutes ago, dlarry said:

The athletic department has proven they have issues but the bottom line is that the NCAA needs to have everyone decided on before the start of the season. 
This is the equivalent of me giving my taxes to my accountant before his deadline and then he doesn’t finish them on time. 
If it means hiring more people or working 20 hour days that’s what needs to be done. 

You need a new accountant in this case. They use the same versions of Turbo Tax you use but their commercial version allows them to have multiple client files open at the same time and checks for errors more thoroughly than the retail version.