The Bills over SOIN by 18

The Wiz

Welcome to another season of Bills BBall.  I call this the box of chocolates season.  Or to paraphrase Forest Gump....This Bills basketball season is like a box of chocolates ...you never know what you're going to get.  We start the season and the roster is not yet set.  Hopefully this cloud will lift shortly. In the mean time, the strategy will be to take things 1 game at a time....Which brings us to Southern  Ind.

Southern Indiana hereafter know as SOIN (SIU is taken...and the gambling services didn't like SIN) is also a mystery team.  But as you can see by the forecasted spread this should be a solvable mystery.  SOIN  returns only 7 players from last year...none starters.  Only 1 freshman and no really strong players.  Hernandez can shoot from the arc but as long as he is guarded he shouldn't have a big night. 

Concerns...they do have some big men...C..6'8' and 2 Fwds 6'10".   We struggled a bit against Ky Wes because of a height disadvantage.  Hopefully, the addition of SVB will help.

Bottom line...The computer sees this game as a cross between Ky Wes and Berea...And like fine chocolate....this game should melt into a win for the  Bills.

12 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Do we expect Van Bussel to start by default?  Or do we go small?

I saw SVB play some decent minutes in the practice game. He guarded Eze...a tougher job than he will have tomorrow...I don't think it matters whether he starts or not.  He just needs to get some minutes and contribute.

Also , I failed to mention in the original post that Zhang is listed as questionable for tomorrow's game with  a knee strain... That report dated Oct 31st said that it was uncertain whether he will play against SOIN. It would be nice if he could get a few minutes under his belt.

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

so he is on team passed all the BS?

I think the fact that Zhang is listed on the injury report is a sign that he is on the roster. Teams don't list players on the injury report if they are not on the roster.

almaman likes this

25 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think the fact that Zhang is listed on the injury report is a sign that he is on the roster. Teams don't list players on the injury report if they are not on the roster.

Yes, fortunately it has been reported that Zhang is eligible; Mugassa is the only international player awaiting NCAA clearance.

4 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Yes, fortunately it has been reported that Zhang is eligible; Mugassa is the only international player awaiting NCAA clearance.

I still want Mugassa to play, but I'm so glad at least 2 of our big men are cleared.

VeniceMenace likes this

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

If SVB is breathing and has a pulse, get him into this game as much as possible for the game experience if nothing else.

Or if he needs more time to be game ready in terms of health/recovery, maybe keep him on his rehab program until we play Wyoming.

5 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Welcome to another season of Bills BBall.  I call this the box of chocolates season.  Or to paraphrase Forest Gump....This Bills basketball season is like a box of chocolates ...you never know what you're going to get.  We start the season and the roster is not yet set.  Hopefully this cloud will lift shortly. In the mean time, the strategy will be to take things 1 game at a time....Which brings us to Southern  Ind.

Southern Indiana hereafter know as SOIN (SIU is taken...and the gambling services didn't like SIN) is also a mystery team.  But as you can see by the forecasted spread this should be a solvable mystery.  SOIN  returns only 7 players from last year...none starters.  Only 1 freshman and no really strong players.  Hernandez can shoot from the arc but as long as he is guarded he shouldn't have a big night. 

Concerns...they do have some big men...C..6'8' and 2 Fwds 6'10".   We struggled a bit against Ky Wes because of a height disadvantage.  Hopefully, the addition of SVB will help.

Bottom line...The computer sees this game as a cross between Ky Wes and Berea...And like fine chocolate....this game should melt into a win for the  Bills.

BTW, Southern Indiana refers to themselves as USI, University of Southern Indiana.

Yes they are TALL.  But......

6'10" Nittle, for USI last season averaged 1.2 ppg and 2.3 rpg

6'10" Hassan for UConn last season, didn't score and grabbed 1 rebound

6'11" Causwell for TN Tech last season averaged 3.9 ppg and 3.1 rpg

6'8" Powell for Houston last season averaged 1.8 ppg and 1.5 rpg.

Those four combined for 6.9 ppg and 7.0 rpg. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

BTW, Southern Indiana refers to themselves as USI, University of Southern Indiana.

Yes they are TALL.  But......

6'10" Nittle, for USI last season averaged 1.2 ppg and 2.3 rpg

6'10" Hassan for UConn last season, didn't score and grabbed 1 rebound

6'11" Causwell for TN Tech last season averaged 3.9 ppg and 3.1 rpg

6'8" Powell for Houston last season averaged 1.8 ppg and 1.5 rpg.

Those four combined for 6.9 ppg and 7.0 rpg. 

Kind of impressive USI lured UConn and Houston transfers. Even if they did ride the bench.

Two points I want to make:

1. As far as Team Rankings go our projected ranking is 114, SOIN's is 345.

2. We really should be able to handle a team with a projected ranking of 345 without pushing someone with an incomplete injury recovery into play. The Bills should beat them without Zhang or VanBussel. If they are not able to do so, things will be pretty dark this year.

23 minutes ago, Compton said:

Or if he needs more time to be game ready in terms of health/recovery, maybe keep him on his rehab program until we play Wyoming.

Sure, but if he is healthy, give him as much game experience as you can, especially against a team rated 345th coming into the season.

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Sorry, Wiz, but I’m going to ask a TV question. Do Bally broadcasts still appear on ESPN+, or am I going to have subscribe to Bally as well? 

They’ll be on ESPN+.

slu72 likes this

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

If you can find a 17+ point spread put your money on Southern Indiana.

Billikens will win by no more than 12. Book it.

I’m 77% we win. Im not sure we win by much . I’ll be putting money on SI to beat that to pay for my beers 

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

If you can find a 17+ point spread put your money on Southern Indiana.

Billikens will win by no more than 12. Book it.

FanDuel has it at 16.5 and the O/U at 147.5.

I think I would take SOIN and the points and the Over. 

I think most games the Over will be a good bet this year.

6 hours ago, Compton said:

Kind of impressive USI lured UConn and Houston transfers. Even if they did ride the bench.

I wonder if they were gently excused off the team, or wanted some playing time (forfeiting the obvious mega NIL deals they had at Houston, UConn and TN Tech 😁)

I'm not sure that Hasson who didn't score all year, grabbed one rebound all year, he did have one block along with 3 fouls, and only played 10 minutes had much of a future at UConn.  I'll be interested to see if he gets off the USI bench tomorrow.  USI's website isn't showing any exhibition games.  The Screaming Eagles were picked 9th in the OVC, ahead of Lindenwood and Eastern Illinois.