2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

4 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-why alert an opponent as to his status? 

-would I like to know? sure but not at the cost of giving up even the slightest scouting advantage

-remember we are dealing with an ADept that has fans on a need to know basis and the fans don't need to know

Probably because we have a .500 record against a mediocre schedule; and attendance is down 20-30% from last year.

There's no competitive relevance, and it would be great to see some actual excitement over the program.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Would be nice to get even the slightest update on Parker.  

From the photo that was posted, I'm pretty sure he is shooting on the court without a brace on his foot.  I could be wrong.  This all could be photo-shopped. 

If you listened to Coach Ford on Sports on a Sunday Morning, he said he hopes Parker is back playing early January.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

From the photo that was posted, I'm pretty sure he is shooting on the court without a brace on his foot.  I could be wrong.  This all could be photo-shopped. 

If you listened to Coach Ford on Sports on a Sunday Morning, he said he hopes Parker is back playing early January.

It was taken last week and from someone not officially with slu. I hope so, but would like slu to say something. But based on everything this year I’m not shocked 

Bills71 likes this

I’m excited about conference play and what this group can accomplish when fully healthy (I know we suck and are destined for the cellar). There are still so many question marks, but a lot of promise. I’m starting to think this was a pretty good recruiting class, considering we didn’t have any money. 

CenHudDude likes this

17 hours ago, DOC said:

I’m excited about conference play and what this group can accomplish when fully healthy (I know we suck and are destined for the cellar). There are still so many question marks, but a lot of promise. I’m starting to think this was a pretty good recruiting class, considering we didn’t have any money. 

That’s like saying “she’d be really pretty if she wasn’t so ugly.  The money is there it’s just allocated wrong.  Hopefully that changes in the not so distant future.

18 hours ago, DOC said:

I hope the staff can figure out what's going on with Thames' ankle.  We're going to need his defense in conference.  I like what I've seen from Medley over the last 5 games.  Keep it going young fella.

VeniceMenace likes this

18 hours ago, DOC said:

The first five games of the Conference Schedule will tell us a lot.  Have to have the Loyola home game, as it could be the easiest of the five.  Next up a visit to 8-2 George Mason, with a current NET of 76.  They have only one win against a top 100 team, Cornell at 84 but will be tough at their house.  Following up with a home game against St. Joseph 7-3 with a NET of 54 with two Quad 1 wins, and then road trips to Dayton and VCU.  I would consider a 3-2 as a welcome result for these first five games. That likely means taking two at home and one on the road.

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The first five games of the Conference Schedule will tell us a lot.  Have to have the Loyola home game, as it could be the easiest of the five.  Next up a visit to 8-2 George Mason, with a current NET of 76.  They have only one win against a top 100 team, Cornell at 84 but will be tough at their house.  Following up with a home game against St. Joseph 7-3 with a NET of 54 with two Quad 1 wins, and then road trips to Dayton and VCU.  I would consider a 3-2 as a welcome result for these first five games. That likely means taking two at home and one on the road.

0-5 is very possible. 1-4 is likely. 2-3 is hopeful. 3-2 is overly optimistic. I am surprised that is just a “welcome result.” 

34 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree with what you are saying, but I think we could go undefeated in conference play and still not make the tournament if we don't run the A-10 tournament.  Someone with better analytical skills would have to let me know if that is true or not.  My point is that the regular season is just preparation for the A-10 tournament to determine if we can make the field of 68.

25 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree with what you are saying, but I think we could go undefeated in conference play and still not make the tournament if we don't run the A-10 tournament.  Someone with better analytical skills would have to let me know if that is true or not.  My point is that the regular season is just preparation for the A-10 tournament to determine if we can make the field of 68.

I think that’s accurate. Not enough highly ranked opponents left on our schedule to make it into the NCAA even if we run the schedule. A-10 season is just a warmup for the conference tournament, where we need to win it all to advance.

Just now, Lord Elrond said:

I think that’s accurate. Not enough highly ranked opponents left on our schedule to make it into the NCAA even if we run the schedule. A-10 season is just a warmup for the conference tournament, where we need to win it all to advance.

Funny enough Chris May basically said Travis puts us in a good spot to win the conference tournament every year lol.

12 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Actually, if we were to run the table in the Conference - highly unlikely - we could very well be ranked or close to it depending on what happens to other teams.  If you go into your conference tournament ranked and lose in the semifinal, I think you could very well get an at large bid.  The problem is all this is just fantasy. 

43 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Actually, if we were to run the table in the Conference - highly unlikely - we could very well be ranked or close to it depending on what happens to other teams.  If you go into your conference tournament ranked and lose in the semifinal, I think you could very well get an at large bid.  The problem is all this is just fantasy. 

-like Budweiser, this says it all

3 hours ago, Slowry said:

That’s like saying “she’d be really pretty if she wasn’t so ugly.  The money is there it’s just allocated wrong.  Hopefully that changes in the not so distant future.

Interesting. I was just joking about the money. I have no idea. So just how much money is there and how’s it being allocated this year?

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I talked to a pretty solid source recently that told me SLU has in the neighborhood of 500k +/- 100K for NIL efforts. That is a solid pot, if accurate. 

Cut the coaching salary to 1.5 and have 1 mil for NIL. Pretty much all the woes of this program at the moment boil down to CTF.

JMM28 and Slowry like this

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Funny enough Chris May basically said Travis puts us in a good spot to win the conference tournament every year lol.

Zach; the A-10 would not be a Juan Bid league if SLU wasn't horrendous. Why are we not performing like Dayton? two programs in the top 50 + VCU/Bona/Duq in top 100 gives us a good place to be a two bid league, and then it's very in the realm of possibility.

You know it's true. We are the drag here. We are the problem.

43 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I talked to a pretty solid source recently that told me SLU has in the neighborhood of 500k +/- 100K for NIL efforts. That is a solid pot, if accurate. 

-for comparison do we know what other A10 and BEast teams have?

28 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Zach; the A-10 would not be a Juan Bid league if SLU wasn't horrendous. Why are we not performing like Dayton? two programs in the top 50 + VCU/Bona/Duq in top 100 gives us a good place to be a two bid league, and then it's very in the realm of possibility.

You know it's true. We are the drag here. We are the problem.

We are a drag, one time. As much as I’m wanting to move on, one year of being this bad isn’t the reason for the a10 being a one bid league most years recently 

CenHudDude likes this

2 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-for comparison do we know what other A10 and BEast teams have?

Rhode Island supposedly has a good program that is backed majorly by the guy that owns the Bucks. 

I'd say that is probably an above average to high number for the A10, based on a lot of A10 programs being sh!tbag programs.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We are a drag, one time. As much as I’m wanting to move on, one year of being this bad isn’t the reason for the a10 being a one bid league most years recently 

We were not horrendous last year like this year; but we also weren't good like we were supposed to be.

If we were in the top ~40 we are at least a bubble team and possible in one of the tourney play-in-games. That puts A10 at a not-one-bid. We have been instrumental in sinking the conference. We weren't even good enough for an NIT berth last year. That's bad.

Probably the single most important player in degrading the conference.

I'm sorry that this truth hits hard and hits home for SLU fans, but we can't rag on other A10 teams. This is our doing. Our fault. Our problem. Why the heck would the beast or anyone else even want to sniff this program when we are not able to even carry our own weight, much less pick the others up. The reality is that we are in this boat with the other A10 teams, and while VCU and UD have been sucking air trying to swim us up, we got added to the anchor with Fordham and so on.

cheeseman likes this

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Rhode Island supposedly has a good program that is backed majorly by the guy that owns the Bucks. 

I'd say that is probably an above average to high number for the A10, based on a lot of A10 programs being sh!tbag programs.

YIKES!  If URI has good NIL money, they certainly don’t have good results for it.