I hate Phil Forte

20 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

One other name I thought of is Darrion Sutton who is a class of 2024 kid who left the area and is now in Denver, but began his career in O'Fallon (Gateway City Elite which appears to be for kids who are home schooled). Might be worth checking in on, kid looks legit.

He's been on SLU's radar for a while but we never offered and now he's out at Colorado Prep. I remember seeing video on him when he was homeschooled, playing for a non-shoe circuit AAU team, and thinking "Oh wow, we've gotta prioritize this one before he blows up". And now he's looking like a possible top-50 recruit.

Coach314 likes this

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He's been on SLU's radar for a while but we never offered and now he's out at Colorado Prep. I remember seeing video on him when he was homeschooled, playing for a non-shoe circuit AAU team, and thinking "Oh wow, we've gotta prioritize this one before he blows up". And now he's looking like a possible top-50 recruit.

Is Sutton the kid that was playing for that team over in Illinois?  

43 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Just went searching and he is.  Sutton is 6'10 now?  Wow.

Yeah, looks like he played with Southern Illinois Select a few years back and has since reclassified and moved to Denver. Really impressive highlights, super long for his skill set and looks smooth like so many lefties tend to. He is seemingly piling up offers this summer. Watching him, it is wild he was somewhat unknown.

brianstl likes this

6 hours ago, JMM28 said:

This is hyperbolic. 

I think the coaches who are less useful are the ones who made their recruiting chops by paying players under the table under the old system. Now that everything is above board, those guys have lost the only advantage they had. 

“Ah, the shoe’s on the other foot now.”

- Sonny Vaccaro

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

Thanks Phil for not getting Smart to shout out the BVF.

Can Ford get Marlon and Shawn Wayans to tweet about the Billiken Victory Fund? C'mon.

Forte sucks.

If Smart is only putting in $50 a month then seems pretty weak.  If this is what is happening elsewhere, then the NIL train is in trouble.

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If Smart is only putting in $50 a month then seems pretty weak.  If this is what is happening elsewhere, then the NIL train is in trouble.

I believe the point was to get others to join in by having Smart give a shoutout...

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I think the $50 per month is donated by @NTSN (whoever that is).  Marcus did not say how much he's donating.

I agree that the NIL train may be in trouble at many of the 330+ D1 schools.  OG predicted this awhile back.

14 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

I think the $50 per month is donated by @NTSN (whoever that is).  Marcus did not say how much he's donating.

I agree that the NIL train may be in trouble at many of the 330+ D1 schools.  OG predicted this awhile back.

I think it’s going to be hard to keep NIL going as time goes by as well, especially if it’s non-tax deductible. Time will tell

1 hour ago, Dr Bird said:

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I think it’s going to be hard to keep NIL going as time goes by as well, especially if it’s non-tax deductible. Time will tell

It does not take a genius to predict such a thing. Just ask yourself how much income do you (you meaning any individual taxpayer) must make a year to feel perfectly free to throw away $200,000 per year into NILs. 

but that's what is so unfair about the whole thing.   the big public schools that have the big football and basketball programs have these major whales that make gadzillions in income every year and think of $100,000 the way we think of $100.   they dont care.   

i believe there is such a divide in income sources that we are approaching the divide in Division one fast.   and nothing to blame but the NiL b.s.   that's why it has never been as important to be in on the biggest conferences.   those conferences will drag along the also runs of their conference and we will get tourney money that the non big conferences will never see again.  

On 6/22/2023 at 1:49 PM, billiken_roy said:

but that's what is so unfair about the whole thing.   the big public schools that have the big football and basketball programs have these major whales that make gadzillions in income every year and think of $100,000 the way we think of $100.   they dont care.   

i believe there is such a divide in income sources that we are approaching the divide in Division one fast.   and nothing to blame but the NiL b.s.   that's why it has never been as important to be in on the biggest conferences.   those conferences will drag along the also runs of their conference and we will get tourney money that the non big conferences will never see again.  

It's not just wealthy donors.  We have wealthy alums as well.  However, the big public schools may have 5 times as many graduates as a school SLU's size.  For every alum of SLU that wants to donate $50 per month, like the guy above is doing at North Texas, a big public school has five of those guys.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It's not just wealthy donors.  We have wealthy alums as well.  However, the big public schools may have 5 times as many graduates as a school SLU's size.  For every alum of SLU that wants to donate $50 per month, like the guy above is doing at North Texas, a big public school has five of those guys.

Those big public schools have 85 football players that want NIL money, too.  That could give a school SLU's size an advantage by not having to worry about covering NIL for football.

SLU has more than enough billionaire and regular grads to compete in big time college basketball.  Now do those grads have the desire to spend what it will take on basketball players?  That is the question.  I wouldn't fault them if they don't, but there is more than enough high roller and regular joe alums out there.

JMM28 likes this

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Those big public schools have 85 football players that want NIL money, too.  That could give a school SLU's size an advantage by not having to worry about covering NIL for football.

SLU has more than enough billionaire and regular grads to compete in big time college basketball.  Now do those grads have the desire to spend what it will take on basketball players?  That is the question.  I wouldn't fault them if they don't, but there is more than enough high roller and regular joe alums out there.

Not incorrect at all.  Hadn't considered that angle.  At certain schools (Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Duke) much more NIL money will go to basketball than at other schools.   However, at other schools (Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, Iowa, Oklahoma, Washington) the vast majority of the NIL money will probably go to football.

27 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Not incorrect at all.  Hadn't considered that angle.  At certain schools (Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Duke) much more NIL money will go to basketball than at other schools.   However, at other schools (Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, Iowa, Oklahoma, Washington) the vast majority of the NIL money will probably go to football.

SLU's endowment is now fourth among Catholic universities, slightly behind Georgetown's, after the last big fundraising effort that ended back in August.  It is more than twice that of every Big East institution outside of Georgetown.  That is proof that SLU has the donor power to compete.  Are those alums willing to pay for basketball players like they seem to be willing to at Big East universities?

JMM28 and BilliesBy40 like this

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU's endowment is now fourth among Catholic universities, slightly behind Georgetown's, after the last big fundraising effort that ended back in August.  It is more than twice that of every Big East institution outside of Georgetown.  That is proof that SLU has the donor power to compete.  Are those alums willing to pay for basketball players like they seem to be willing to at Big East universities?

Your point about SLU not needing to fund football as well as the above are really good and your last question is the one that will likely determine what sort of success we have in this new era of college athletics (basketball specifically). I think one problem SLU runs into is that without football and big time basketball for the most part, the students and alums don't develop that same passion as other college students/alums and likely aren't as aware of what is going on in big time college athletics. Like you demonstrated, the money is there, but are folks willing to direct it towards athletics and NIL specifically. I don't give a dime to SLU directly (with the endowment plus rise of tuition I can't justify it beyond being willing to allow the school to utilize my mug shot in any sort of recruiting literature), so no judgment from me, but that is the reality.

14 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Your point about SLU not needing to fund football as well as the above are really good and your last question is the one that will likely determine what sort of success we have in this new era of college athletics (basketball specifically). I think one problem SLU runs into is that without football and big time basketball for the most part, the students and alums don't develop that same passion as other college students/alums and likely aren't as aware of what is going on in big time college athletics. Like you demonstrated, the money is there, but are folks willing to direct it towards athletics and NIL specifically. I don't give a dime to SLU directly (with the endowment plus rise of tuition I can't justify it beyond being willing to allow the school to utilize my mug shot in any sort of recruiting literature), so no judgment from me, but that is the reality.

I think that is a huge part of it.  Although over the last couple of decades donors have stepped up when it comes to facilities and funding the staff.  Once the Champions Center is complete, we will take a back seat to no one in the Big East when it comes to on campus basketball facilities.  The donors should be applauded for that.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think that is a huge part of it.  Although over the last couple of decades donors have stepped up when it comes to facilities and funding the staff.  Once the Champions Center is complete, we will take a back seat to no one in the Big East when it comes to on campus basketball facilities.  The donors should be applauded for that.

The interesting thing about the Champions Center is that they are trying to raise money to pay off the bond.  I think some may have thought that the facility was paid for already but apparently not.  So the question now is as they hit up donors for money then what will the donors not give money for because of the Champions Center.  Just a question.

31 minutes ago, brianstl said:

No doubt about that. While our facilities were a joke when I was a student manager from 2001-2005, the improvements since then for the basketball program cannot be understated. Certainly huge credit to those who have contributed to those efforts over the past 20 years. One could argue that could factor into some donors potentially being less than enthusiastic about giving money to another endeavor, going to the same well over and over. I personally have a hard time finding a bigger waste of money, but certainly kudos to them.

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

No doubt about that. While our facilities were a joke when I was a student manager from 2001-2005, the improvements since then for the basketball program cannot be understated. Certainly huge credit to those who have contributed to those efforts over the past 20 years. One could argue that could factor into some donors potentially being less than enthusiastic about giving money to another endeavor, going to the same well over and over. I personally have a hard time finding a bigger waste of money, but certainly kudos to them.

I think you are going to see the same thing play out nationally at every university, money for NIL is money not going to facility projects, and money going to facility projects is money not going to NIL.  To try to pay for both at the same time requires a huge donor base, but universities with those also have 85 football players to keep happy.

One advantage that Facility projects will have over NIL is that they are tax deductible