2023-2024 Roster and Schedule

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

With no consistent low post presence on offense,  who (besides an injured Perkins) was going to create offense with dribble penetration?

well it wasnt yuri.  his drives to the basket were more unsuccessful than successful

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Who should it have been in your opinion?  Besides Perkins.

we should have been running.   and whoever is on the wings coming down on the break yuri should make that choice.  

as to the instances we are forced into half court play, why did okoro spend so much floor time on offense setting picks 30 feet from the basket instead of working to get open in the lane?   get him the ball.  

when parker was in the game, on offense he showed the ability to get to the lane and make short jumpers.

why was jimerson having to work on his own so much to try to get open no plays set up to get him open. he just ran around trying to run his man into other players.  

One of the huge problems we had last year was lack of steals.
We ranked 313 in steals per game. 333 in steals per min.
What makes that worse, is we had a team that loved a fast break and did a good job of finishing. We had a team designed to take advantage of steals.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

we should have been running.   and whoever is on the wings coming down on the break yuri should make that choice.  

as to the instances we are forced into half court play, why did okoro spend so much floor time on offense setting picks 30 feet from the basket instead of working to get open in the lane?   get him the ball.  

when parker was in the game, on offense he showed the ability to get to the lane and make short jumpers.

why was jimerson having to work on his own so much to try to get open no plays set up to get him open. he just ran around trying to run his man into other players.  

Solid grievances about the offense.  I think the roster contruction affected the offense.  There was a surplus of perimeter players but each with weaknesses.  Add to that they played small.  Perimeter players with weaknesses playing out of position.  The question now becomes...will they recruit for the offense CF wants to run or will they just go grab some players to fill the roster.  

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Solid grievances about the offense.  I think the roster contruction affected the offense.  There was a surplus of perimeter players but each with weaknesses.  Add to that they played small.  Perimeter players with weaknesses playing out of position.  The question now becomes...will they recruit for the offense CF wants to run or will they just go grab some players to fill the roster.  

Good points - I have thought the same thing about Ford and how he approaches recruiting.  He does just seem to grab players where he can with or without any thought to how they will fit the puzzle.

Schasz likes this

10 hours ago, ACE said:

So I supposed Kevin Lisch never won anything as well, correct? 

BTW, Yuri had more winning than Lisch - two Top 50 finishes. Without two Covid seasons and the Perk injury season is no doubt making at minimum one NCAA Tourney appearance.

Which Kevin Lisch led team was picked to win the conference and didn’t come close?

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Good points - I have thought the same thing about Ford and how he approaches recruiting.  He does just seem to grab players where he can with or without any thought to how they will fit the puzzle.

I don’t disagree with this but you can’t always get what you want or need. We obviously needed a quality 4 last year. Pistol could probably tell you who they tried to recruit but we ended up with Pickett/ TJ. If Pistol told me we didn’t try to recruit a quality 4 then I would be upset. If you can’t get a date with Nicole Kidman there is always Rosie O’Donnell 

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

Which Kevin Lisch led team was picked to win the conference and didn’t come close?

I don’t care to go back and look at the conference predictions, and I don’t disagree with your overall point, but I often wondered how the team with Lisch, Liddell, Vouyoukas, Meyer, Polk (yes I know, not great), Danny Brown, etc, wasn’t better than they were.  

Random, but upon looking at the rosters, Kwamain, Conklin, and Willie Reed were all freshmen on the team when Lisch and Liddell were seniors. That’s insane to me, in my mind, Kwamain and Conklin are so far removed from Lisch and Liddell, yet in reality they played together..

Fraz likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

I don’t disagree with this but you can’t always get what you want or need. We obviously needed a quality 4 last year. Pistol could probably tell you who they tried to recruit but we ended up with Pickett/ TJ. If Pistol told me we didn’t try to recruit a quality 4 then I would be upset. If you can’t get a date with Nicole Kidman there is always Rosie O’Donnell 

Fair point but some are hanging their hat on how he is a great recruiter so while he may not get Kidman he certainly could do better than Rosie (by the way I believe she is gay so maybe you meant to say Melissa McCarthy)

willie likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

True.  You aren't always going to get what you want.  CF has done a great job of getting local kids who want to stay home.  As he says,  he wants kids who want to be here.  But a recruiting pitch of ...your parents can be at all the home games doesn't work for everyone.  Or Yuri's gone...you will get the keys to the offense.  There are coaches in bigger conferences giving kids comprehensive breakdowns on how kids will fit in their offense,  setting them up with trainers for the summer,  better schedules (better competition) and that's before you even get into a discussion of NIL money.  I know the coaches do a great job of reaching out to recruits but it seems like there is starting to become built in excuses to justify not bringing in talent.  We just saw in the cases of K State and Mizzou how quickly you can turn things around.  

JMM28 and billikenbill like this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

At this rate, Hughes is gonna be playing the 5 next year so we won't even know if he is a better point guard than Yuri. 

LOL ... thinking Ford will bring in some good bigs.  Be patient fellow.  Heck, players can enter the transfer portal until May 11th.  Lots of time to bring in impact players.  😄

9 hours ago, Coach314 said:

With no consistent low post presence on offense,  who (besides an injured Perkins) was going to create offense with dribble penetration?

Coach314, perhaps the problem is in attempting to create offense with dribble penetration, particularly late in the game.

After witnessing the unselfish passing years ago among those on Spoons best teams — with no player over 6-6 — they won a ton of games without a big man in the low post or a preponderance of dribble penetration…which seemed so predictable this season it became easy for opponents to stop…e.g. powerhouses like SIUE.

11 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I don’t care to go back and look at the conference predictions, and I don’t disagree with your overall point, but I often wondered how the team with Lisch, Liddell, Vouyoukas, Meyer, Polk (yes I know, not great), Danny Brown, etc, wasn’t better than they were.  

Random, but upon looking at the rosters, Kwamain, Conklin, and Willie Reed were all freshmen on the team when Lisch and Liddell were seniors. That’s insane to me, in my mind, Kwamain and Conklin are so far removed from Lisch and Liddell, yet in reality they played together..

probably has something to do with soderberg wanting to use the entire shot clock every possession.  hmmmm.  i wonder who else wont play fast.   

hoosiers basketball has been over for decades.   i just dont understand coaches trying to make that work.  it particularly frustrated me this past year when ford would run for a few minutes, we would dominate during that stretch, then back to the shuffle, dribbling in circles and then first looking to the basket with 9 seconds on the shot clock.  sighhh

• HoosierPal changed the title to 2023-2024 Roster and Schedule

Most recent news on SLU scheduling for 2023-24, Travis Ford is looking for nonconference home games and to finalize an MTE. Specifically he wants a team to start a home-and-home at Chaifetz because the road schedule is full and SLU must play a specific number at Chaifetz.

“We’re trying to contact teams to start a series here. You can get tons to start on the road, but we can’t do that. Eventually somebody will. It’s early. Everybody’s playing the game right now but it’s difficult.”

SLU generally has a guideline to play 19 home games, including exhibitions. That is where some of the math on scheduling home, road and an MTE gets tough. SLU has not announced an MTE.

“We’re looking for the best opponent we can get (at home), but nobody wants to budge. Everybody wants home games. People think we have total control of the schedule. … Every year there are fewer (nonconference) games to be gotten.”

SLU does not have any contracted home games for next season but has a few opponents lined up, including an NCAA and NIT team.

-no home games might be a problem as how am I supposed to see with my own eyes what happens with the Band?

-as a season ticket holder I don't care if there are 16,17,18 home games at 2022-23 price plus addition if it leads to a favorable schedule and none of those are Paul Quinn or the equivalent 

So right now, Myrtle Beach Invitational hasn't been confirmed? Nor may not happen for SLU?

25 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

So right now, Myrtle Beach Invitational hasn't been confirmed? Nor may not happen for SLU?

Some of the basketball pundits have released the teams, but SLU apparently has not confirmed anything.  The issue revolves around too many away games (NC State, Drake, and SIUC).  Those plus 3 in this Myrtle Beach Invite puts the away or neutral at 6 games, meaning a home game would have to be lost.  Typically we play 5 away/neutral games in OOC.

And if you read Coach's comments to Stu, they are having difficulty getting a P5 school to agree to a H and H, with the first game at Chaifetz.  Teams want SLU to come to their arena first.  The math gets complicated.

Boy , guess I jumped the gun, Stu tweeted  adjustments have been made an SLU takes final spot in the Myrtle Beach Invitational

• 3 weeks later...

A quick read of the SIUC Insiders Forum suggests that our away game at Carbondale has been 'postponed/canceled' for next season.  We needed to remove an away game to allow for the three game Myrtle Beach Invite.  This would leave away games at Drake and NC State.  There is no mention on the Saluki's site as to how or when this away game would be made up.  I assume we had to make some concessions to get this game delayed, if in fact their board is correct.