• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Maybe they had issues when it came to who was going to be on his staff

Some of the interesting parts:

Brey had a standing relationship with USF athletic director Michael Kelly — both are from the Washington, D.C. area — and he reportedly had agreed to a three-year contract to coach the Bulls,

Brey told ESPN’s Pete Thamel on Tuesday evening that he never was offered the USF coaching job. He said that he’d likely take this year off and explore possible avenues of working in television as a college basketball analyst. 

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Some of the interesting parts:

Brey had a standing relationship with USF athletic director Michael Kelly — both are from the Washington, D.C. area — and he reportedly had agreed to a three-year contract to coach the Bulls,

Brey told ESPN’s Pete Thamel on Tuesday evening that he never was offered the USF coaching job. He said that he’d likely take this year off and explore possible avenues of working in television as a college basketball analyst. 

It is strange.

9 hours ago, aj_arete said:

That's offensive.  What makes Kim English stand out is that he's articulate and knows how to set a vision.  I can definitely see him excelling in an interview, even if he was white.  This is so ignorant when looking at the landscape of college basketball where the coaching profession is hardly representative of the talent pool (that is the number of blacks who played college basketball exceeds the number of whites at the Division I level).

Having said that, there are plenty of people who know how to excel on the interview, but then flop on the job.  I'll agree that the jury is still out on whether English will be a highly effective coach, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Saying he’s articulate is offensive… you act surprised by that…

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Gregory took the Flyers to 2 NCAA's in 8 seasons

Miller took the Flyers to 4 NCAA's in 6 seasons

Grant has 0 NCAA's in 6 seasons albeit with a HUGE asterisk in '19-20. 

That’s surprising about Grant not having 1 NCAA bid in his tenure. Given the institutional and community support that Dayton provides, that’s simply not good enough.

4 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

That’s surprising about Grant not having 1 NCAA bid in his tenure. Given the institutional and community support that Dayton provides, that’s simply not good enough.

he had a top seed team in covid year, absolute lock for the tourney

47 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

he had a top seed team in covid year, absolute lock for the tourney

That team not getting to the NCAA tournament has to be one of the most horrific situations ever for Dayton and the A10.  Can you imagine having a possible one seeded Billiken team getting obliterated by covid cancellation????

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

That team not getting to the NCAA tournament has to be one of the most horrific situations ever for Dayton and the A10.  Can you imagine having a possible one seeded Billiken team getting obliterated by covid cancellation????

billikens were right on the cusp also, a win or two in the a-10 tourney likely put them in

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Actually, unfortunately, yes. I can.

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Missing the tournament yes but missing it as a ONE seed?  

Yeah that's rough. That would be my only reason to not advocate firing Grant, if I were a SVU fan.   He had it clicking at the highest level and who knows what could've happened.  Gotta hand it to them they're passionate.