Bally Sports files for bankruptcy

BC1764

Was so frustrated with them not being available on any other streaming services like YoutubeTV.

Also, not that important, but what up with the map of Ohio on that article. They have the Guardians and Cavs over Cincinnati, the Blue Jackets in Cleveleand and the Reds in Steubenville 

41 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

This probably ends with the leagues owning their rights and selling directly to customers. They will miss the guaranteed payouts that RSN’s gave to teams, but the customers simply won’t pay the prices to give them enough money to pay those and still make a profit. Sinclair discovered that enough people wouldn’t pay.

BC1764 likes this

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Dan Caesar reported that one of the reasons Aaron Goldsmith took himself out of the running for Cards TV broadcaster was the "financial distress of Sinclair Sports, which owns Bally.

Joe Buck said no thanks too.

DeWitt and Stillman should form a network of their own. It's not like it hasn't been done before. Remember the Cardinals Cable Network ?

21 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Joe Buck said no thanks too.

DeWitt and Stillman should form a network of their own. It's not like it hasn't been done before. Remember the Cardinals Cable Network ?

Yeah Buck and Costas both bowed out early, but that was not surprising.  Why would either want the grind of a 162 schedule at their ages and with their backgrounds.

BC1764 likes this

This doesn’t affect the Billikens now at all, but eventually what model to make money off of TV viewership that replaces cutting the cable cord brings to the regional sports networks and cable companies in professional sports will roll down to the Billikens. It affects the St Louis Cardinals hugely if it happens this year. That guaranteed income they thought they had from Bally Sports (who inherited it from FSM when they bought it)? Gone in bankruptcy. That ownership stake they have in Bally? Owning something worth nothing means nothing. What new model do they come up with to generate TV revenue? I’m assuming MLB (and the NHL and NBA who all have teams in the same boat) will figure something out, and when that happens we’ll get a glimpse of what happens when the same thing happens to college sports.

I’m assuming you will be watching them on an app over the internet eventually, whether it’s a team app, a league owned app, or an ESPN app run for the league I don’t know, might be a pay per game viewed or pay for a seasons worth of games. If it’s an all league app, you might be able to get away games on the same app, if it’s a team by team thing you might need an account and app with every visiting teams app to watch away games. Make it too complicated and your audience craters, your revenue crumbles, not sure how you replace it. The problem is the teams today have guaranteed money from the RSN’s, (and NCAA conferences with their TV contracts) have under this model becomes not guaranteed, they assume the risk of declining viewership affecting their bottom line directly. 

But that’s just my take, many people will have to agree to something that replaces the goose who lays the golden egg presently. Many different possibilities could happen.  As I say, doesn’t affect the Billikens today at all, but will in the future I’m fairly certain.

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

This probably ends with the leagues owning their rights and selling directly to customers. They will miss the guaranteed payouts that RSN’s gave to teams, but the customers simply won’t pay the prices to give them enough money to pay those and still make a profit. Sinclair discovered that enough people wouldn’t pay.

It isn’t going to get cheaper.  It will get more expensive and a lot more expensive if you want to watch more than one local team.  The cord cutting and debundling of cable was the worst thing to happen to sports fans.

cheeseman and JMM28 like this

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It isn’t going to get cheaper.  It will get more expensive and a lot more expensive if you want to watch more than one local team.  The cord cutting and debundling of cable was the worst thing to happen to sports fans.

It isn’t getting cheaper. It also affects how teams get paid, which is where it will eventually affect college teams. Those TV contracts the SEC and Big 10 are going after? The NCAA Men’s basketball Tournament contract? Maybe they get thrown out sometime too. Or maybe not, maybe someone figures out how to put a bandaid on Sinclairs current situation. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Yup. The cost of the Cardinals or Blues or whatever teams' rights fees were spread across everyone in that cable market. Now it is spread across the people who care enough to pay for it. 

I also wonder how much the acceleration of this trend effects Big East expansion. 2013 it was about market size and what could get more money for FS1....

brianstl likes this

This does potentially affect the Billikens if BSMW is no longer in a position to produce the 10 or so games a year they do now.  The A10 may have a deal to stream games on ESPN+ but only if they are being produced already.

It will be one thing if some hedge fund steps in to buy the assets and keep running them. Or even if the Cardinals themselves buy BSMW and run it independently. In both scenarios they would still need the content the Bills provide to round out offerings.

But in a world where the Cardinals and Blues go to direct streaming (STL City SC will already be streaming exclusively on AppleTV), there may not be a BSMW. And SLU may need to find new partners to actually do the production.

15 minutes ago, willie said:

some analyst was just on cnbc saying that it is likely the rights will likely go back to the league. The regionals have not gone bankrupt yet. Likely  For what it's worth Sinclair stock is trading higher. 

They haven’t declared bankruptcy yet, many possibilities still on the table. The debtors (people who Sinclair owes money to) will have a lot to say about it if they go into bankruptcy.  I agree it’s logical that the leagues get the rights back, but the cost will be the money they thought was coming into those teams is no longer coming. 

25 minutes ago, cheeseman said:
4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Dan Caesar reported that one of the reasons Aaron Goldsmith took himself out of the running for Cards TV broadcaster was the "financial distress of Sinclair Sports, which owns Bally.

I wouldn’t want to uproot my life and give up a job in one city if it looked like the company I was getting the new job with might go bankrupt either

5 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Hard to believe you could not make money at the intersection of sports broadcasting and gambling.  I despise gambling culture......

hi5 there bro. shiiiits everywhere now. luv when c old movies tv where the villains & vice stories r legal now.

1 hour ago, ARon said:

This does potentially affect the Billikens if BSMW is no longer in a position to produce the 10 or so games a year they do now.  The A10 may have a deal to stream games on ESPN+ but only if they are being produced already.

It will be one thing if some hedge fund steps in to buy the assets and keep running them. Or even if the Cardinals themselves buy BSMW and run it independently. In both scenarios they would still need the content the Bills provide to round out offerings.

But in a world where the Cardinals and Blues go to direct streaming (STL City SC will already be streaming exclusively on AppleTV), there may not be a BSMW. And SLU may need to find new partners to actually do the production.

Does KPLR still have sports broadcasting? Someone locally could swoop in to produce the home games and get paid by ESPN.

1 hour ago, juniorbill76 said:

It sounds like they're headed to chapter 11, not chapter 7 liquidation. That might only postpone the inevitable but maybe they can restructure and come out OK for a while.

I’m sure that they would, but that depends on finding financing to keep going, getting major debtors to agree to having their debt erased in exchange of an ownership position in the restructured company. If the debt holders think they can get more by liquidating the company and selling assists, then they can force it. I was a worker bee at Worldcom, so I’ve been through the drill.