Jump to content

NET Rankings


Bills By 40
 Share

Recommended Posts

First NET rankings of the season debuted today and they're, well...not good. 

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

SLU debuts at 56th, 6 spots behind Iona and only one and two spots, respectively, above Boise State and Drake. Mizzou - with the third worst SOS in the nation and only one 4-point OT Q2 win - debuts at 34th. 

The A10 as a whole is in terrible shape which puts a major emphasis on these next three games:

Image

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm glad you started this thread so we can keep it as a teachable moment.  I think you'll be amazed at how dramatically different these rankings look 60 days from now.  Early on, a couple of blowout wins or an undefeated record skew the rankings when there are so few data points.

I'm glad you are right. The A-10 looks like a D2 league right now. 

unclecarl likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm glad you started this thread so we can keep it as a teachable moment.  I think you'll be amazed at how dramatically different these rankings look 60 days from now.  Early on, a couple of blowout wins or an undefeated record skew the rankings when there are so few data points.

The thread is for us to b!tch about now and track the movement throughout the season. Both valid reasons to start a thread. 

Fraz likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is our Team Sheet:  Q1 0-2, Q2 1-0, Q3 3-0, Q4 2-0

 Q1 - L to Maryland (N) and L at Auburn

Q2 - W Memphis

Q3 - W Murray State, W (N) Providence, and W SIUC

Q4 - W Evansville and W TN State

Just win and everything takes care of itself.

(And coming in third from dead last, Louisville Cardinals.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I'm glad you are right. The A-10 looks like a D2 league right now. 

 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is our Team Sheet:  Q1 0-2, Q2 1-0, Q3 3-0, Q4 2-0

 Q1 - L to Maryland (N) and L at Auburn

Q2 - W Memphis

Q3 - W Murray State, W (N) Providence, and W SICU

Q4 - W Evansville and W TN State

Just win and everything takes care of itself.

Nice to have no bad losses. That will help come march. Lost to 2 clear tournament teams, and one passed the eye test.

This won't be a year to go 11-7 in the A-10 and think we'll be in consideration though. Only 4 or 5 conference games on our schedule will be Q1-2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do expect these individual A10 rankings to change wildly from now to February and especially by the end of the season.  What worries me, however, is that there isn't as much time left for the A-10 to improve the rankings in aggregate. 

All A-10 teams have played between 7 and 9 games so far.  I'm assuming that means they've got anywhere from 3 to 6 games left on their non-conference schedules.  SLU has played 9 and has 4 left.

Once non-conference play is over, there is very little A-10 can do to improve the league's ranking as a whole.  The only movement would come from how nonconference opponents fare the rest of the season.  As A-10 teams beat up on each other during conference play, one team goes up and another goes down, but as a whole it doesn't change.  This is very bad for SLU because they are ahead of the pack by a good margin and in the NCAA bubble range so any slips losing or underperforming against lower ranked teams could cause them to miss the tournament.

Next 3 games are huge for establishing SLU as a firm NCAA team so that the inevitable stinker or 2 during A10 play won't sink our NCAA at-large hopes.

unclecarl, BC1764 and wgstl like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

I do expect these individual A10 rankings to change wildly from now to February and especially by the end of the season.  What worries me, however, is that there isn't as much time left for the A-10 to improve the rankings in aggregate. 

All A-10 teams have played between 7 and 9 games so far.  I'm assuming that means they've got anywhere from 3 to 6 games left on their non-conference schedules.  SLU has played 9 and has 4 left.

Once non-conference play is over, there is very little A-10 can do to improve the league's ranking as a whole.  The only movement would come from how nonconference opponents fare the rest of the season.  As A-10 teams beat up on each other during conference play, one team goes up and another goes down, but as a whole it doesn't change.  This is very bad for SLU because they are ahead of the pack by a good margin and in the NCAA bubble range so any slips losing or underperforming against lower ranked teams could cause them to miss the tournament.

Next 3 games are huge for establishing SLU as a firm NCAA team so that the inevitable stinker or 2 during A10 play won't sink our NCAA at-large hopes.

yep.  at this point we absolutely need to win out the rest of ooc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

yep.  at this point we absolutely need to win out the rest of ooc. 

I don't think 1 more loss is fatal to at-large hopes, but right now it probably means we have to go 15-3 or better in A-10 play which seems highly unlikely.

What really sucks is that this shouldn't be the case.  At the beginning of the season, if you told me SLU went 10-3 in non-conference, that's probably what I would have expected & would assume they're in good shape for an NCAA bid.  Most of the rest of the expected top half A-10 teams (Dayton, VCU, Loyola, Davidson, Richmond, Mason, Rhody) all underperforming has killed SLU's margin for error despite SLU pretty much being as expected as far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

This ranking is so stupid until February, in which it still has its flaws. There are so many complete head scratchers right now. Also just very disappointing. 

Agreed. It kind of starts to come into focus once non-conference is completed around Jan. 1. But before then it makes no sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

The thread is for us to b!tch about now and track the movement throughout the season. Both valid reasons to start a thread. 

Not sure we needed a new thread to ***** about on this site, but I will celebrate this new addition! Ratings like this are their most worthless at this point in the season. Need to see more real games played.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GoSluBills said:

It seems like the NET and Kenpom equate each other as we get closer to the end of the season- so I wouldn't take much stock in these initial rankings. 

The rankings given by every system/model will differ the most at the beginning of the season, but by the end of the season they should be reasonably close to one another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Where?

Exactly. We’d all like to get to the Big East. There really is no other option. 
 

But maybe we let the net ranking work itself out first. They aren’t selecting at large teams today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...