Transfers - 2021

ACE

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

At the end of his show he mentioned 3 priority players: McKissic, Verge and Aaron Cook.

Obviously Gonzaga is still playing so nothing has been announced.  Is Aaron Cook planning to play another year and transfer?  If so, that's crazy unless it is for academic reasons like Gonzaga not having the grad program he wants.  I'm not sure how you get in a better basketball situation than being a rotation player for a team that is easily the best in the nation & is expected to win a national championship.  Zags will likely lose some key players to the NBA / graduation and are bringing in some high level recruits, but hard to see Cook falling on the depth chart as a 6th year senior.

billiken_roy likes this

53 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I heard from someone who I think has credible information, but I can’t guarantee it, that Ramey and his family are big Adidas people. No, I’m not implying that he got paid (he may have, I have no idea). But us being a Nike school took us out of the running right off the bat. Again, this is 2nd/3rd hand info. So you can take it or leave, just what I heard.

I had heard this during his recruitment a while back. I can't imagine this would be true in hindsight - Texas is as big of a Nike school as any

51 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I heard from someone who I think has credible information, but I can’t guarantee it, that Ramey and his family are big Adidas people. No, I’m not implying that he got paid (he may have, I have no idea). But us being a Nike school took us out of the running right off the bat. Again, this is 2nd/3rd hand info. So you can take it or leave, just what I heard.

This is old information and probably not relevant. Ramey's AAU team is sponsored by Adidas/runs on the Adidas circuit and this was brought up a lot during his recruitment. Nonetheless, Courtney chose Texas, a NIKE school.

14 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I had heard this during his recruitment a while back. I can't imagine this would be true in hindsight - Texas is as big of a Nike school as any

13 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

This is old information and probably not relevant. Ramey's AAU team is sponsored by Adidas/runs on the Adidas circuit and this was brought up a lot during his recruitment. Nonetheless, Courtney chose Texas, a NIKE school.

Yeah, this was years ago. I can’t keep track of what school has what sponsorships. Definitely old info. Lol. My bad.

6 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Cusumano with more baseless speculation

Why do you say that? Frank has had a very good track record since Tate joined the staff. The only time he has been played is by his Mizzou sources - when poacher was doing his poaching -Tillmon, Picket, Smith - they would spin it like the recruiting was wide open with SLU and others in the mix, when all along, those players who were verbally committed to Illinois were heading to Mizzou.

16 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Cusumano with more baseless speculation

I don’t think it’s baseless speculation that we’re going to reach out to those 3 players and make them a priority. It would be another thing entirely if he was saying all 3 were about to commit to SLU. 

2 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Leaving for Marquette isn’t like going broke. They’re a top 15 funded program annually. While Texas has a massive budget, MU isn’t far behind for basketball. 

Ouch. A top 15 funded program and 2 NCAA tourney's without a win in the last 8 years. 

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

Why do you say that? Frank has had a very good track record since Tate joined the staff. The only time he has been played is by his Mizzou sources - when poacher was doing his poaching -Tillmon, Picket, Smith - they would spin it like the recruiting was wide open with SLU and others in the mix, when all along, those players who were verbally committed to Illinois were heading to Mizzou.

9 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t think it’s baseless speculation that we’re going to reach out to those 3 players and make them a priority. It would be another thing entirely if he was saying all 3 were about to commit to SLU. 

Frank has done this many time with players unassociated with Mizzou. Plus, even if he has some sort of inside information regarding Aaron Cook or others (I'm guessing he heard it from someone other than Tate), it is irresponsible to talk about it when the player is still playing and hasn't announced a transfer.

Outside of Frank's actions, as someone else noted, Cook transferring doesn't make any sense. He started at a program in the area and left for the bigger stage. Why would he come back now?

I should probably know this, but what is the rule with coaches talking about transfers publicly?  I know with HS recruits, you can't say a peep until the letter of intent.  Is it the same rule for college players?

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Ouch. A top 15 funded program and 2 NCAA tourney's without a win in the last 8 years. 

Hence the firing of one coach and hiring of another. They were in a good spot, Elite 8 after multiple Sweet 16's. Two things changed that:

1) Vander Blue unexpectedly turned pro on a high hope (Final Four hopes) team and that team fell apart without him.

2) Marquette made a bad hire for both University President and University AD. Both were fired. The School President (passed away recently RIP) was in over his head from the beginning. The AD was a micromanaging hard a** who made the mistake of thinking the AD is bigger than the basketball coach at Marquette. All one has to do is see where both ended up afterwards. So AD, School Prez, board, Admin all matter kids. Their current AD has made some good hires prior to this. The new school Prez there gets mixed reviews but has done okay. Wojo lasted so long because away from the court he was well liked, choir boy type, boring, stiff, not a lot of personality but said and did all of the right things etc...Shaka had a lot of support in 2014 from one of their bigger $$$ boosters. He wasn't happy with the Wojo hire.

slufanskip likes this

4 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Frank has done this many time with players unassociated with Mizzou. Plus, even if he has some sort of inside information regarding Aaron Cook or others (I'm guessing he heard it from someone other than Tate), it is irresponsible to talk about it when the player is still playing and hasn't announced a transfer.

Outside of Frank's actions, as someone else noted, Cook transferring doesn't make any sense. He started at a program in the area and left for the bigger stage. Why would he come back now?

That’s sports journalism in 2021. You may not like it. I may not like it. But that’s just the way it is now. There’s no point in blaming Frank for it.

Just now, Reinert310 said:

That’s sports journalism in 2021. You may not like it. I may not like it. But that’s just the way it is now. There’s no point in blaming Frank for it.

I get your point but what Frank does goes beyond early reporting or speculation. People love ragging on Carter for trolling for clicks (I agree btw), but Frank is every bit as guilty albeit in a different way.

Just now, BilliesBy40 said:

I get your point but what Frank does goes beyond early reporting or speculation. People love ragging on Carter for trolling for clicks (I agree btw), but Frank is every bit as guilty albeit in a different way.

I have no problem with either doing it. But Frank needs content to fill a radio show too. Carter doesn’t. I’d put both Carter and Frank on the extreme mild end of the spectrum of irresponsible hot takes by sports journalists.

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

I have no problem with either doing it. But Frank needs content to fill a radio show too. Carter doesn’t. I’d put both Carter and Frank on the extreme mild end of the spectrum of irresponsible hot takes by sports journalists.

So you're okay with Frank speculating about SLU's interest in a player currently playing on a top team and according to all public reports very happy with his situation? I mean, come on, that's absurd. It's also a waste of our time to discuss said players.

So you're okay with Frank speculating about SLU's interest in a player currently playing on a top team and according to all public reports very happy with his situation? I mean, come on, that's absurd. It's also a waste of our time to discuss said players.

Yes, I’m ok with it. Because there are plenty of other reporters doing it too. That sort of speculation happens constantly. So, do I care that Frank has joined in on it to help his career? Not really. There are much more important things to worry about in the grand scheme of college basketball than sports reporters speculating about who’s going to transfer. And it’s going to continue happen whether we like it or not. So I’m not going to get worked up over it.

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

Yes, I’m ok with it. Because there are plenty of other reporters doing it too. That sort of speculation happens constantly. So, do I care that Frank has joined in on it to help his career? Not really. There are much more important things to worry about in the grand scheme of college basketball than sports reporters speculating about who’s going to transfer. And it’s going to continue happen whether we like it or not. So I’m not going to get worked up over it.

What other reporters are saying X school is interested in Y player who is still playing and hasn't announced their transfer? I'll wait. And my overarching point is we shouldn't take these comments by Frank as anything warranting conversation. 

What other reporters are saying X school is interested in Y player who is still playing and hasn't announced their transfer? I'll wait. And my overarching point is we shouldn't take these comments by Frank as anything warranting conversation. 

National reporters speculate on that stuff all the time. I don’t follow media members of other schools to be able to pull up exact quotes, but of course other reporters do it. If you really think Frank is the only one, I really don’t know what to tell you. It’s no different than media members speculating about coaches leaving schools while their season is still going on. If you don’t want to discuss it, fine, don’t engage in the conversation. No biggie. But I just don’t get attacking Frank for that sort speculation makes him irresponsible or a hit to his credibility.

ACE likes this