Transfers - 2021

ACE

2 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

The story out of KU tonight is McKissic wanted to commit to the Jayhawks today but they were not ready to bring him on yet. They have their eyes on TyTy Washington and McKissic would need to wait for that situation to play out 1st. KU feels confident about a few of their recruits and would rather have a multi year commit over a one year. It’s not a shot at McKissic, but many pieces would need to fall for him to be in Lawrence next season. The current offer he received was not a commitable offer. 

The entire concept of a non committable offer is absurd. We want you IF this, this, or that doesn't happen. Hell Kansas wants the 346th ranked recruit if the 345 above him all commit elsewhere. Damn, I have a non committable offer. Maybe I'll ask Coach Self. Hey Coach if everyone else with legs under the age of 92 commits somewhere else can I play? 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

McKissic was told that there will be 3 zoom calls made to potential guards but that Self will be bringing in only two for next year.  Brandon did the virtual tour and Bill Self analyzed his game.  They had a good conversation.  Self will be calling him again tomorrow.  Brandon also picked up offers from Florida and UCONN.  Brandon also heard from SLU today.

Also heard today that there is a possibility of Goodwin returning next year.  

👀👀

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

McKissic was told that there will be 3 zoom calls made to potential guards but that Self will be bringing in only two for next year.  Brandon did the virtual tour and Bill Self analyzed his game.  They had a good conversation.  Self will be calling him again tomorrow.  Brandon also picked up offers from Florida and UCONN.  Brandon also heard from SLU today.

Thanks for this. I really thought there was a strong possibility Goodwin/French could have a change of heart. A LOT has happened since January when he declared there was "no chance" he'd be back. 

The options going into next year (overseas, G-League) are less attractive given the level of uncertainty (travel restrictions, lockdowns, etc). In terms of exposure, coming back to SLU and being on a potentially highly-ranked squad with a chance to go deep in the Tourney is tough to beat. 

McKissic coming would be the cherry on top. 

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

He has an equal chance to see a big time football game going to SLU as he does Mizzou

Good post you made me laugh.  My wife asked what are you laughing at and as usual the answer was a post in Billiken.com.

Billikenbooster likes this

7 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I think Jordan and Has have some unfinished business.

I could be wrong but after the announcement they were both moving on and after the graduation ceremony I still feel that they were coming back.

I would really like to see the Goodwin family for another season at Chaifetz  interacting with Jordan and the team.

TheA_Bomb likes this

21 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think Jordan and Has have some unfinished business.

I could be wrong but after the announcement they were both moving on and after the graduation ceremony I still feel that they were coming back.

I would really like to see the Goodwin family for another season at Chaifetz  interacting with Jordan and the team.

The only thing I’d worry about is an injury that could cost them money in any sort of professional scenario. There’s a flip side to the coming back coin. And being SLU fans, you expect the snakebite rather than the pot of gold. Almost like we’re pre-conditioned to expect the worst.

billiken_roy likes this

I think the coronavirus situation is the main reason you're seeing so many players seriously consider the 5th year option.  The transfer portal is here to stay.  But having so many 5th year players in it or playing a 5th year at their present school is an aberration. 

Players need somewhere to play.  Does anybody think the NBA will have pre-draft camp in May?  Or a summer league?  I don't.  And without them, there's no way for guys outside the lottery to improve their standing in the eyes of the NBA and the G-League.

JMM28 and CBFan like this

17 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Please explain. Do you mean run someone off?   So our roster is set by end of April and he wants to come to SLU, who do you cut?

Someone, just glad it's not my decision. For example, whose Penny gonna run off at Messphis. He's way overcommitted isn't he. It's just the way it is these days. I don't like it. It reeks of a broken contract, but this has become a cutthroat business. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

The only thing I’d worry about is an injury that could cost them money in any sort of professional scenario. There’s a flip side to the coming back coin. And being SLU fans, you expect the snakebite rather than the pot of gold. Almost like we’re pre-conditioned to expect the worst.

I agree with everything on your post but the law of averages have to catch up with our team where everything falls into place for once.

Injury is a concern however 5 years of a SLU education puts them 2 semesters short of a masters.

I think Goodwin and French would have no problem finding a good job that could exceed the wages that they would make playing basketball over seas.

10 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I agree with everything on your post but the law of averages have to catch up with our team where everything falls into place for once.

Injury is a concern however 5 years of a SLU education puts them 2 semesters short of a masters.

I think Goodwin and French would have no problem finding a good job that could exceed the wages that they would make playing basketball over seas.

justin love no longer had to work after his foreign basketball career was over.   it is my understanding kevin lisch is taking it easy spending time with his family since his australian career is over.   i.e. these players at the level of hall of fame like goodwin and french undoubtedly are, will make a lot of money overseas.   i am not sure if a sociology or communications degree make that kind of potential money. 

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

justin love no longer had to work after his foreign basketball career was over.   it is my understanding kevin lisch is taking it easy spending time with his family since his australian career is over.   i.e. these players at the level of hall of fame like goodwin and french undoubtedly are, will make a lot of money overseas.   i am not sure if a sociology or communications degree make that kind of potential money. 

Justin Love and Kevin Lisch could shoot.  There's a place for Goodwin and French overseas but I don't know of too many Bully Ballers making big bank there.  French is who he is but Goodwin's jump shot is not that far away.

36 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Justin Love and Kevin Lisch could shoot.  There's a place for Goodwin and French overseas but I don't know of too many Bully Ballers making big bank there.  French is who he is but Goodwin's jump shot is not that far away.

Either could make big dollars if they're flexible on landing spots. Look at what Ricardo Ratcliffe is pulling in. His game is somewhat similar to French.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2018/04/29/Baseball/Ratliffe-returns-to-the-team-that-made-him-big/3047530.html#:~:text=Ratliffe's annual income is expected,and %24560%2C000 in 2020-21.

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Either could make big dollars if they're flexible on landing spots. Look at what Ricardo Ratcliffe is pulling in. His game is somewhat similar to French.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2018/04/29/Baseball/Ratliffe-returns-to-the-team-that-made-him-big/3047530.html#:~:text=Ratliffe's annual income is expected,and %24560%2C000 in 2020-21.

Ratliffe has a 15 footer and shoots 70% from the line.  But I agree, Ratliffe is one of the rare overseas exceptions of Bully Ball success. I would definitely consider the Korean Basketball League if I were Has.

I would question if the rules were bent some by nautralizing him.  I recall the KBL being discussed on here once before in the context of French or other seniors going there.

58 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Thank you Roy I had no idea that players could make that much money.

I now completely understand the risks the player take sticking around the university for another year.

There's always the Army, we're hiring. 2nd Lieutenant Hasahn French sounds good just need a haircut and shave.   We'll send ya back home to Ft. Drum NY.

Coached a guy in Kuwait who played at one of the CUNY schools and pro in Japan.  Big like French also couldn't FTs.

French could try to pull a Rico Gathers and become an NFL TE.

Bizziken likes this

20 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Thank you for the link that is a lot of money.

11 hours ago, slufanskip said:

The entire concept of a non committable offer is absurd. We want you IF this, this, or that doesn't happen. Hell Kansas wants the 346th ranked recruit if the 345 above him all commit elsewhere. Damn, I have a non committable offer. Maybe I'll ask Coach Self. Hey Coach if everyone else with legs under the age of 92 commits somewhere else can I play? 

Sure SLU does it as well.  I see no issue with the concept. The player can accept the situation and hope they end up at their dream school, or move on and take another offer which is a sure-fire scholarship.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

This is why it would not surprise me to see Goodwin come back. He is on the cusp of being able to make big money playing basketball if he can take one more step forward. French is who is and who he has been the past 4 years, so he may as well go start cashing checks. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Love how they report the points and rebound averages to the hundredth place.

Regarding injury risk for players that come back vs. those that go pro...I think it all depends on what level pro you are playing at. The likelihood of injury should basically be considered the same whether you are playing professionally or in college.

At one end of the spectrum you have 1st round NBA draft picks that have major, guaranteed contracts that can't be terminated if they get hurt playing. On the other end of the spectrum you have season by season, maybe even game by game, contracts in smaller European countries where you could get hurt and they'll cut you the next day (and maybe wouldn't even help pay your medical expenses). It's brutal on the lower-end of the pro spectrum.

Goodwin would obviously be in the middle and that is for him and his family to figure out just where in the middle, but he's not going to be getting 3 year guaranteed salaries for $400k+ like Ratliffe. Getting a $40k scholarship plus NIL cash may be fairly compelling for him at this point. 

SLU200, Bizziken and wgstl like this