Transfers - 2021

ACE

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unpopular opinion but I am ready to move on from Goodwin/French. They are both great all-time Billikens and they lifted the program from a dark place. I certainly wouldn't be mad if one or both came back but I want the underclassmen to have a chance to grow and develop and I want to see us move away from bully-ball. Yuri, Thatch, Jimerson, Perkins, Okoro is still a heck of a lineup and add in Hargrove, Strickland, Jacobs, Linnsen, Bell, and probably some impact transfers and I think you have a NCAA tournament team that also oozes upside in future years. Again I'm not going to be upset if Goodwin and/or French wanted to come back but personally I am ready for a new era of Billiken basketball. 

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Unpopular opinion but I am ready to move on from Goodwin/French. They are both great all-time Billikens and they lifted the program from a dark place. I certainly wouldn't be mad if one or both came back but I want the underclassmen to have a chance to grow and develop and I want to see us move away from bully-ball. Yuri, Thatch, Jimerson, Perkins, Okoro is still a heck of a lineup and add in Hargrove, Strickland, Jacobs, Linnsen, Bell, and probably some impact transfers and I think you have a NCAA tournament team that also oozes upside in future years. Again I'm not going to be upset if Goodwin and/or French wanted to come back but personally I am ready for a new era of Billiken basketball. 

100% with you on this. I think our offensive flow will greatly improve, even though their skillsets and impact on the team will greatly be missed - esp defensively.

11 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think we've seen the ceiling of French, a high ceiling, but his lack of height exposes him against better/taller competition.  I don't think he has the skills to be a 4.  I still think French is a very good player.

Goodwin could still develop more of an outside shot, so him coming back could be something.  

Former SLU recruits in the transfer portal, updated. Current school in parentheses, followed by next year's class status and expected remaining eligibility, including COVID bonus year.

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
Madut Akec (South Florida) - Junior, 3 Years
Christian Brown (Georgia) - Junior, 3 Years

Nimari Burnett (Texas Tech) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Michael Christmas (James Madison) - Junior, 3 Years
Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky) - Sophomore, 4 Years
DaJuan Gordon (K-State) - Junior, 3 Years
Elijah Joiner (Tulsa) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (Minnesota) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Ismael Massoud (Wake Forest) - Junior, 3 Years
Markquis Nowell (Little Rock) - Senior, 2 Years
Mickey Pearson (TCU) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Xavier Pinson (Mizzou) - Senior, 2 Years
Joseph Reece (Old Dominion) - Senior, 2 Years
Jared Ridder (Missouri State) - Senior, 2 Years
KyKy Tandy (Xavier) - Junior, 3 Years
Symir Torrence (Marquette) - Junior, 3 Years
Qudus Wahab (Georgetown) - Junior, 3 Years
Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - Senior, 2 Years
Aaron Wheeler (Purdue) - Senior, 2 Years
Keshawn Williams (Tulsa) - Freshman, 4 Years
Wyatt Yess (Yale) - Grad Transfer, 1-2 Years (Yale didn't play this season)

Had SLU interest at some point:
Lenell Henry (Prairie View A&M) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Tray Hollowell (Wofford) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Cooper Neese (Indiana State) - Senior, 2 Years
Rashad Weekly-McDaniels (Central Michigan) - Sophomore, 4 Years

Others that have been contacted by SLU:
Donovan Clay (Valpo) - Junior, 3 Years
Mason Madsen (Cincinnati) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Brandon McKissic (Kansas City) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year

59 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Agreed

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Goodwin comes back, his role would have to change.  Continue to be the best rebounding 6'3 player in the country.  But let the combo guard to be named later do more of the creating off the dribble.

We need more of takeover Perkins next year. Less passive

Did a little digging into Mason Madsen, one of the players SLU has reached out to.

He's leaving UC after a freshman season in which he played 15 games after missing the first 8 with injury. He's a shooter but never found his rhythm in the shortened season, going 19-59 from 3 (32.2%) and slightly better from 2. Good size and length (6-4, 190).

He's from the Twin Cities area, where his dad coached him and his twin brother, Gabe, who is also a freshman leaving UC as a transfer. Gabe played the first two games and opted out of the rest of the season for COVID/mental health concerns. It's unclear to me at this point whether they're looking to land somewhere together or going their separate ways.

Mason has also heard from New Mexico, SIUC, Cal Poly, Toledo, UNI, and others. The last three recruited him out of HS, as well. He chose UC over Xavier, Marquette, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern, Missouri State, Colorado State, Bradley, and more. I'm not sure which ones were prioritizing him or who it came down to as finalists.

He shot 41% from 3 and 92% from the FT line as a HS senior, so the touch is there, and he scored over 2,000 points in HS. Gabe actually scored 300+ more points overall and averaged more than Mason each year. He's an inch taller, too.

The Madsen brothers are among 6 transfers leaving UC this season, as it seems some of the players were fed up with John Brannen. Didn't click for them at UC but they could be very good players somewhere else for four years.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Former SLU recruits in the transfer portal, updated. Current school in parentheses, followed by next year's class status and expected remaining eligibility, including COVID bonus year.

Had an offer from SLU at some point:
Madut Akec (South Florida) - Junior, 3 Years
Christian Brown (Georgia) - Junior, 3 Years

Nimari Burnett (Texas Tech) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Michael Christmas (James Madison) - Junior, 3 Years
Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky) - Sophomore, 4 Years
DaJuan Gordon (K-State) - Junior, 3 Years
Elijah Joiner (Tulsa) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (Minnesota) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Ismael Massoud (Wake Forest) - Junior, 3 Years
Markquis Nowell (Little Rock) - Senior, 2 Years
Mickey Pearson (TCU) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Xavier Pinson (Mizzou) - Senior, 2 Years
Joseph Reece (Old Dominion) - Senior, 2 Years
Jared Ridder (Missouri State) - Senior, 2 Years
KyKy Tandy (Xavier) - Junior, 3 Years
Symir Torrence (Marquette) - Junior, 3 Years
Qudus Wahab (Georgetown) - Junior, 3 Years
Dallas Watson (Saint Peter's) - Senior, 2 Years
Aaron Wheeler (Purdue) - Senior, 2 Years
Wyatt Yess (Yale) - Grad Transfer, 1-2 Years (Yale didn't play this season)

Had SLU interest at some point:
Ron Artest, III (CSU-Northridge) - Senior, 2 Years
Lenell Henry (Prairie View A&M) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Tray Hollowell (Wofford) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year
Cooper Neese (Indiana State) - Senior, 2 Years
Rashad Weekly-McDaniels (Central Michigan) - Sophomore, 4 Years

Others that have been contacted by SLU:
Donovan Clay (Valpo) - Junior, 3 Years
Mason Madsen (Cincinnati) - Sophomore, 4 Years
Brandon McKissic (Kansas City) - Grad Transfer, 1 Year

None of these names is Justyn Mutts.

26 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

None of these names is Justyn Mutts.

Jalen Cone from VT just hit the portal, so you never know.

My list above has been edited for Keshawn Williams, who is leaving Tulsa after his freshman year. Had a SLU offer out of Bloom HS in Chicago. Played in HS alongside another SLU offer, Martice Mitchell, who so far has not entered the portal out of Minnesota despite the coaching change.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Jalen Cone from VT just hit the portal, so you never know.

My list above has been edited for Keshawn Williams, who is leaving Tulsa after his freshman year. Had a SLU offer out of Bloom HS in Chicago. Played in HS alongside another SLU offer, Martice Mitchell, who so far has not entered the portal out of Minnesota despite the coaching change.

Cone is going to be one to watch for us.

Ron Artest, III has been removed from the list. I just realized that SLU briefly recruited (and didn't offer) his half brother Jeron Artest, a sophomore at UC-Irvine who is not currently in the portal. I don't think we ever recrutied Ron.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Did a little digging into Mason Madsen, one of the players SLU has reached out to.

He's leaving UC after a freshman season in which he played 15 games after missing the first 8 with injury. He's a shooter but never found his rhythm in the shortened season, going 19-59 from 3 (32.2%) and slightly better from 2. Good size and length (6-4, 190).

He's from the Twin Cities area, where his dad coached him and his twin brother, Gabe, who is also a freshman leaving UC as a transfer. Gabe played the first two games and opted out of the rest of the season for COVID/mental health concerns. It's unclear to me at this point whether they're looking to land somewhere together or going their separate ways.

Mason has also heard from New Mexico, SIUC, Cal Poly, Toledo, UNI, and others. The last three recruited him out of HS, as well. He chose UC over Xavier, Marquette, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern, Missouri State, Colorado State, Bradley, and more. I'm not sure which ones were prioritizing him or who it came down to as finalists.

He shot 41% from 3 and 92% from the FT line as a HS senior, so the touch is there, and he scored over 2,000 points in HS. Gabe actually scored 300+ more points overall and averaged more than Mason each year. He's an inch taller, too.

The Madsen brothers are among 6 transfers leaving UC this season, as it seems some of the players were fed up with John Brannen. Didn't click for them at UC but they could be very good players somewhere else for four years.

-so these two would have 4 yrs remaining? they are intriguing 

6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-so these two would have 4 yrs remaining? they are intriguing 

Definitely 4 for Mason and possibly 5 for Gabe? Not sure if he gets a bonus year on top of opting out, like if it's treated as a redshirt. I'm still going with 4 for him if I have to guess, based on the voluntary opt-out.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You called Mason Madsen, so I'll take your word for it.

McKissic, Madsen, Cone and Chris Shelton from Hampton.  I'm sure their are more, but those four all have interest in SLU.  Cone was the guy I was talking about a couple weeks ago in this thread as having interest in SLU, but his team was still playing and he hadn't announced anything yet.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Definitely 4 for Mason and possibly 5 for Gabe? Not sure if he gets a bonus year on top of opting out, like if it's treated as a redshirt. I'm still going with 4 for him if I have to guess, based on the voluntary opt-out.

From what I have heard you don't get the bonus year plus another year if you redshirted.  So no extra year for Gabe or Okoro.

Pistol likes this

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

McKissic, Madsen, Cone and Chris Shelton from Hampton.  I'm sure their are more, but those four all have interest in SLU.  Cone was the guy I was talking about a couple weeks ago in this thread as having interest in SLU, but his team was still playing and he hadn't announced anything yet.

Cone is interesting, some decent stats, but do you think we can put two players 6' or shorter out there at the same time for much of the game?

If no one transfers, which per Stu is today's status, we have three openings.  Need some scorers for sure, but I am concerned about covering the boards next season.  We are losing 17.5 rpg.  Okoro/Linssen/Bell can't make that up.