Extra Game Next Week?

kshoe

5 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Drake played an NAIA team and a D-2 team. How can that be ignored?

We need The Valley to be Juan Bid.

Who is ignoring those two games?  They aren't part of the D1 NET resume.  No one is counting those games.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Who is ignoring those two games?  They aren't part of the D1 NET resume.  No one is counting those games.

Drake played no one, other than Loyola.  CBS keeps posting that Drake record (25-4), which includes NAIA St. Ambrose and D-2 McKendree, which makes that Drake won-loss record look better than it really is.  Perception becomes reality.

If the NCAA Committee gifts Drake an At Large bid, then everyone else should be able to load up with a bunch of cupcakes.  

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I’m just catching up on this thread but are people really suggesting we don’t play a game this week because they think we already have a good chance of getting in? That’s crazy talk to me. We aren’t getting in as it stands now.

I think we should try and schedule two games. Memphis on Tuesday and Drake on Friday. Or something like that. Go on the road if you can. 

According to coach we can only play one add’l game, d/t covid scheduling restrictions.

16 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Drake played no one, other than Loyola.  CBS keeps posting that Drake record (25-4), which includes NAIA St. Ambrose and D-2 McKendree, which makes that Drake won-loss record look better than it really is.  Perception becomes reality.

If the NCAA Committee gifts Drake an At Large bid, then everyone else should be able to load up with a bunch of cupcakes.  

you can choose to load up cupcakes but you better win them by double digits. 

I know Wright St, Belmont, Missouri St, etc don't really move the needle but all of those teams could have incentive to play if they think a win would get them a NIT bid. Yes ideally we could pick up a Q1 game here but we only have 2 wins against Q2 as well. Getting another Q2 game would be a win in my book. If we are truly willing to play a game, I would hope we aren't picky about it. I just don't see us getting a true needle-mover game so I'll take a Q2 game and hope the committee recognizes our willingness to play anyone anytime. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

11 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

It appears there is no one to play, other than Davidson, NET 62.

This should happen, preferably in Belk Gym.

The committee in the last few years has taken a "What did they try to do" approach with scheduling. Teams that went on the road and got bought, tried to schedule up, etc. were looked more highly upon than teams that played a lot of 250+ NET/RPI or D2 type games. I think that bodes well for SLU.

I also think that mentality will be furthered this year in a time when teams could have packed it in and not bothered to play. SLU playing an extra game this week would help in that matter. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

i will be shocked if we play any kind of opponent that will greatly enhance our resume.   the big boys now more than ever wont play as they will attest "we have nothing to gain" and the lesser programs are all going to be significanty below our already middling NET ranking.   i will actually be amazed if we even play a game this week.  so the question is will we actually go to the NIT or not imo. 

A10Ref, SLU_Nick and Billfan7 like this

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i will be shocked if we play any kind of opponent that will greatly enhance our resume.   the big boys now more than ever wont play as they will attest "we have nothing to gain" and the lesser programs are all going to be significanty below our already middling NET ranking.   i will actually be amazed if we even play a game this week.  so the question is will we actually go to the NIT or not imo. 

Unless there is another Covid exception, my understanding is a team can no longer opt out of the NIT. Nor do I think SLU should. If SLU doesn’t get an NCAA bid, SLU is going to be one of the First Four OUT, meaning one of the first teams on the NCAA Replacement/Wait List and a 1 or at worst 2 Seed in the NIT. This year’s 16 team NIT, with no Low Con automatic bids, will be the NIT’s strongest field in years, its strongest since the NCAA took over the NIT.

Im guessing Fords team has reached out to the committee about what happened since covid.   If they did, and they heard positive feedback, I doubt Ford even thinks about playing another game.  I don't think Ford will go without at least reaching out to the NCAA.

You can opt out of the NIT this year per this article. I would assume you'd have to use COVID as your reason though and I'm not sure the NCAA would buy that for a team like SLU where most of the team doesn't even have to be tested

https://victorybellrings.com/2021/03/01/nit-format-penn-state-basketball/#:~:text=The NIT added back the,the first time since 2003.&text=The NIT does not have,truly go in any direction.

"The NIT does not have a .500 record requirement, and given that teams may opt-out this year, the selection of the field could truly go in any direction"

What about Memphis?  We are in Lundardi's First Four Out.  They are listed in Lunardi's Second Four Out.  They are 15-7 and 3rd in the AAC.  Their NET is 52.

Edit: Scratch that.  They still play in the AAC tournament this week.  Their first game is Thursday.

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'm guessing Fords team has reached out to the committee about what happened since covid.   If they did, and they heard positive feedback, I doubt Ford even thinks about playing another game.  I don't think Ford will go without at least reaching out to the NCAA.

I may be wrong, but I do not think this is how it works.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

The committee in the last few years has taken a "What did they try to do" approach with scheduling. Teams that went on the road and got bought, tried to schedule up, etc. were looked more highly upon than teams that played a lot of 250+ NET/RPI or D2 type games. I think that bodes well for SLU.

I also think that mentality will be furthered this year in a time when teams could have packed it in and not bothered to play. SLU playing an extra game this week would help in that matter. 

-interesting, can you share examples? I think that scheduling, heck every decision, is designed to help the P5 and this would be one that didn't