Non-conference Schedule - 2020-21

ACE

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

A-10/C-USA would be a good challenge. Both have 14 teams. C-USA has some strong teams at the top also with WKU, Louisiana Tech, and N Texas.

No thanks. We don't need to be doing challenges with the 15th best conference per the NET. The highest ranked team is La Tech at 87. 

49 minutes ago, kshoe said:

No thanks. We don't need to be doing challenges with the 15th best conference per the NET. The highest ranked team is La Tech at 87. 

Agreed. The MWC and American are really the only conferences I'd want challenges with.

Crewsorlose likes this

C-USA is a Juan Bid conference.  It's not even in the same galaxy as the conference SLU left (or was asked to leave) when the ACC poached league teams and most of the remainder merged into what became the American after the "old" Big East broke up.

I bet NH meant MWC, rather than "MVC."

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

C-USA is a Juan Bid conference.  It's not even in the same galaxy as the conference SLU left (or was asked to leave) when the ACC poached league teams and most of the remainder merged into what became the American after the "old" Big East broke up.

I bet NH meant MWC, rather than "MVC."

Thanks for the correction. I definitely meant MWC.

wgstl likes this

Plenty of solid and travelable teams that would be great to get consistent home & homes with. 

Basically mid-major standouts and P5 laggards, exemplified by K-State, like: Iowa State, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Tulsa, WKU, UNI, Loyola, 

Belmont and Murray State are close, but really more on the buy game level than H&H. 

1 hour ago, NH said:

Agreed. The MWC and American are really the only conferences I'd want challenges with.

And WCC if we're talking a 5 team challenge.

9 minutes ago, Compton said:

Plenty of solid and travelable teams that would be great to get consistent home & homes with. 

Basically mid-major standouts and P5 laggards, exemplified by K-State, like: Iowa State, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Tulsa, WKU, UNI, Loyola, 

Belmont and Murray State are close, but really more on the buy game level than H&H. 

Belmont returns practically everybody from a 26-7 squad. Their best two players are sophomores. They should make a run at at-large bids the next two years 

We already have the one with the MWC starting next season. I don't think there will be another for now. Could happen down the road if conferences in our peer group are worried enough.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

And WCC if we're talking a 5 team challenge.

Belmont returns practically everybody from a 26-7 squad. Their best two players are sophomores. They should make a run at at-large bids the next two years 

Nice! But I'd still keep them in the buy game category for us. They've had a number of good years recently, but it hasn't changed their policy having having a few away buy games each year with teams on a level we're closer to (Rhode Island, BYU, Alabama, TCU, Butler, Purdue for example). Their H&Hs tend to be with lower level teams - Evansville, Valpo, Illinois State, Cleveland State, Wright State, Samford, Green Bay, Lipscomb, Milwaukee, Pepperdine, Middle Tennessee are recent examples. 

They do switch off every year with the Hilltoppers, like we do with SIU-C, which is pretty solid. 

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

San diego state gets tougher

The Aztecs still await decisions from returning players, most notably is Malachi Flynn the leading scorer from last season. If he returns, the shooting duo of Gomez-Flynn could put the country on notice. Gomez added he will bring leadership and work ethic to an already talented team.