Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
billikenbill

SLU & NCAA Corona Virus Discussion

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Man, you are really something. 

No, nothing special... I just have some integrity and consistency.... notice, how the liberals cower and hide when the question of abortion is placed before them??? People like you have no problem attacking posters like Roy who  tries to bring perspective. Questioning people’s level of reaction to the Coronavirus, is not saying you don’t care about the suffering of others. What is disgusting is how others with different views are flat out trashed. I get tired of hearing of your moral superiority, especially when it so selective.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

No, nothing special... I just have some integrity and consistency.... notice, how the liberals cower and hide when the question of abortion is placed before them??? People like you have no problem attacking posters like Roy who  tries to bring perspective. Questioning people’s level of reaction to the Coronavirus, is not saying you don’t care about the suffering of others. What is disgusting is how others with different views are flat out trashed. I get tired of hearing of your moral superiority, especially when it so selective.. 

I (and many others) have provided succinct answers to Roy. The fact that he doesn’t want to acknowledge them is his problem. 

Not going to address abortion arguments because that is off topic, even for this thread. 

I don’t believe I’ve exerted moral superiority, except perhaps for my original outburst (the “Fox news crap” post) 10 or so days ago. 

this virus is not a hoax. 

the media isn’t overblowing things.

obama’s administration left a handbook for this.

trump cut the pandemic team.

trump cut the cdc budget.

trump’s team failed a pandemic test run.

trump sent 18 tons of PPE to China on feb 7.

our first responders our desperately short on PPE

trump and pence have consistently lied about the ability and proliferation of testing capacity.

trump lied about our preparation for this.

trump bragged about his press conf ratings today. 

trump shut down flights from China (but not from anywhere else where Chinese nationals could have come to our country from).

trump has failed in every aspect in his response to this pandemic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

No, nothing special... I just have some integrity and consistency.... notice, how the liberals cower and hide when the question of abortion is placed before them??? People like you have no problem attacking posters like Roy who  tries to bring perspective. Questioning people’s level of reaction to the Coronavirus, is not saying you don’t care about the suffering of others. What is disgusting is how others with different views are flat out trashed. I get tired of hearing of your moral superiority, especially when it so selective.. 

Also, rural America and red states are about to be walloped by this.  My parents in rural OK, tell me that some restaurants are still allowing dine in eating because “this virus is a media hoax.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, tonight trump moved the goal posts and said that if we can reduce deaths from the projected 2.2 million to 100-200 thousand then we have been successful. This is major league gaslighting. 
 

He’s hoping for only 100-200 thousand deaths because he thinks that means he did a good job.  Let that sink in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's enough for me. I'll being ignoring this thread from now on. People really show their true colors during a crisis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mega churches stills having gatherings today...are you f’ing kidding me??!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, courtside said:

Liberty University's decision (Jerry Falwell Jr ) to re-open school and have the kids on campus isn't off to the best start. Spoiler alert: Kids are getting sick.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/politics/coronavirus-liberty-university-falwell.html#click=https://t.co/sglQgqzqo8

I hear you, but let’s just reopen the US and save the economy. What’s the worst that could happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Relevant article explaining why we even have a ventilator shortage in the first place, considering the government had been trying to prepare for this exact type of pandemic scenario for over a decade. Pretty foucked up if you ask me. End result is that greed has literally killed people. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/business/coronavirus-us-ventilator-shortage.html?referringSource=articleShare 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

daily U S total almost half down sat to sun ! Maybe Melania's Easter egg hunt is back on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another terrifying look at the situation in NYC on 60 Minutes last night.  I'd say it is about a coin flip whether the STL region will be facing a similar disaster in about 3-5 weeks.  Personally I would not bet against it.  And ps: according to experts, the biggest risk group is made up of obese/overweight males over 60, which is most of the people reading this right now, I'd wager...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-city-coronavirus-epicenter-united-states-peak-60-minutes-2020-03-29/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I (and many others) have provided succinct answers to Roy. The fact that he doesn’t want to acknowledge them is his problem. 

Not going to address abortion arguments because that is off topic, even for this thread. 

I don’t believe I’ve exerted moral superiority, except perhaps for my original outburst (the “Fox news crap” post) 10 or so days ago. 

this virus is not a hoax. 

the media isn’t overblowing things.

obama’s administration left a handbook for this.

trump cut the pandemic team.

trump cut the cdc budget.

trump’s team failed a pandemic test run.

trump sent 18 tons of PPE to China on feb 7.

our first responders our desperately short on PPE

trump and pence have consistently lied about the ability and proliferation of testing capacity.

trump lied about our preparation for this.

trump bragged about his press conf ratings today. 

trump shut down flights from China (but not from anywhere else where Chinese nationals could have come to our country from).

trump has failed in every aspect in his response to this pandemic.

 

This is a great post. Well done in delineating the joke of a pResident occupying the White House. I call him by his new nickname, Covid-45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I (and many others) have provided succinct answers to Roy. The fact that he doesn’t want to acknowledge them is his problem. 

Not going to address abortion arguments because that is off topic, even for this thread. 

I don’t believe I’ve exerted moral superiority, except perhaps for my original outburst (the “Fox news crap” post) 10 or so days ago. 

this virus is not a hoax. 

the media isn’t overblowing things.

obama’s administration left a handbook for this.

trump cut the pandemic team.

trump cut the cdc budget.

trump’s team failed a pandemic test run.

trump sent 18 tons of PPE to China on feb 7.

our first responders our desperately short on PPE

trump and pence have consistently lied about the ability and proliferation of testing capacity.

trump lied about our preparation for this.

trump bragged about his press conf ratings today. 

trump shut down flights from China (but not from anywhere else where Chinese nationals could have come to our country from).

trump has failed in every aspect in his response to this pandemic.

 

no you have not answered my question.   i want to know why other situations with far more deaths never were given the attention and hysteria that this has gotten.  all people want to tell me is this is different.   yeah it's different .   less people die.   yet our media has pushed this to such a hysterical panic that our politicians had no choice but to declare the honker down orders which appears will push america into an economic depression.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roy - I agree that we are going into a serious economic depression but way more people are going to die from this than the flu. Experts on both sides of the political spectrum believe this now. The numbers likely won't even be close. The US screwed this up. And even if you don't want to blame leadership, there are countless people every day who still don't follow social distancing rules and people like that will continue to drive up our number of cases and deaths. Our economic depression would be milder if 1) our country's leadership and taken this seriously from the start and 2) ordinary citizens would take this seriously now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

 i want to know why other situations with far more deaths never were given the attention and hysteria that this has gotten.  all people want to tell me is this is different.   yeah it's different .   less people die.  

Roy, all due respect, but please watch the 60 Minutes piece.  If you think the NYC hospitals are not now gravely "different" than during any regular flu season, you are simply too politicized or whatever to perceive reality -- and/or possibly off your rocker.  Again, I hope I'm wrong about STL following a similar story-line. I'm honestly surprised--and partly horrified--that many Americans still seem not able to grasp the situation yet.

Then read this interview about the abominable misinformation weaponized by the Right, and its effects on the early decision-making at the federal level. 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-contrarian-coronavirus-theory-that-informed-the-trump-administration?fbclid=IwAR28qe567sJZHxe1u6_hjD9uImEyTLn40KWhh2qIAox-bbwMjEMTPZ6bvaU

Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

no you have not answered my question.   i want to know why other situations with far more deaths never were given the attention and hysteria that this has gotten.  all people want to tell me is this is different.   yeah it's different .   less people die.   yet our media has pushed this to such a hysterical panic that our politicians had no choice but to declare the honker down orders which appears will push america into an economic depression.   

People have answered you repeatedly.

We have 5-figure flu deaths annually because people don't do anything to stop it. Few people get the shot every year because it isn't free and convenient for everyone, not to mention an increasing number of people who think vaccines are bad. People who are sick still go to work for various reasons - no paid sick/vacation time, for example, and stubbornness by a lot of people who do have it. People leave the house when sick. People ignore medical advice. There's minimal media response to that because it happens every year and we've basically decided it's just the way it is.

But we have vaccines, we have treatment, and we have capacity in our medical system to deal with the annual flu. We do not have a vaccine and we do not have capacity to deal with this current pandemic. You keep saying the flu is a bigger problem in terms of sheer numbers but that won't be true for long.

I really, really hope that this changes behaviors moving forward, that people will stay home when sick, that lawmakers give low wage earners the ability to do so, that people get shots and take medicine, that the anti-vaxxer movement dies, and that people listen to their doctors. We don't have to accept an annual 5-figure death rate.

Will you stop the "what about the flu?" narrative now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Roy, all due respect, but please watch the 60 Minutes piece.  If you think the NYC hospitals are not now gravely "different" than during any regular flu season, you are simply too politicized or whatever to perceive reality -- and/or possibly off your rocker.  Again, I hope I'm wrong about STL following a similar story-line. I'm honestly surprised--and partly horrified--that many Americans still seem not able to grasp the situation yet.

Then read this interview about the abominable misinformation weaponized by the Right, and its effects on the early decision-making at the federal level. 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-contrarian-coronavirus-theory-that-informed-the-trump-administration?fbclid=IwAR28qe567sJZHxe1u6_hjD9uImEyTLn40KWhh2qIAox-bbwMjEMTPZ6bvaU

Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong: Again, I hope I'm wrong:

60 minutes?  the new yorker?   can you supply a better source than that left wing nonsense?  thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

People have answered you repeatedly.

We have 5-figure flu deaths annually because people don't do anything to stop it. Few people get the shot every year because it isn't free and convenient for everyone, not to mention an increasing number of people who think vaccines are bad. People who are sick still go to work for various reasons - no paid sick/vacation time, for example, and stubbornness by a lot of people who do have it. People leave the house when sick. People ignore medical advice. There's minimal media response to that because it happens every year and we've basically decided it's just the way it is.

But we have vaccines, we have treatment, and we have capacity in our medical system to deal with the annual flu. We do not have a vaccine and we do not have capacity to deal with this current pandemic. You keep saying the flu is a bigger problem in terms of sheer numbers but that won't be true for long.

I really, really hope that this changes behaviors moving forward, that people will stay home when sick, that lawmakers give low wage earners the ability to do so, that people get shots and take medicine, that the anti-vaxxer movement dies, and that people listen to their doctors. We don't have to accept an annual 5-figure death rate.

Will you stop the "what about the flu?" narrative now?

well you just made my point.   why do we allow 5 figure deaths annually and do nothing to stop it, yet this comes along and we stop the world?   the contrast makes no sense to me.   so no, i want stop the flu narrative unless we are treating each with the same reaction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well you just made my point.   why do we allow 5 figure deaths annually and do nothing to stop it, yet this comes along and we stop the world?   the contrast makes no sense to me.   so no, i want stop the flu narrative unless we are treating each with the same reaction.  

5 figure deaths also much lower than anticipated 100-200k deaths estimated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

5 figure deaths also much lower than anticipated 100-200k deaths estimated 

this morning the death toll which is listed on pretty much every news website these days shows 2572.   yesterday the docs were saying on the evening chinese flu virus updates we get to watch every night that this is going to peak and start falling next month.   if this is true, better get going on the death toll if it is still going to hit 200,000 deaths in america.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

well you just made my point.   why do we allow 5 figure deaths annually and do nothing to stop it, yet this comes along and we stop the world?   the contrast makes no sense to me.   so no, i want stop the flu narrative unless we are treating each with the same reaction.  

This is new, there is no vaccine, and it has more severe symptoms and a higher death rate. The risk here is far, far greater than the annual flu.

We can do more to stop the seasonal flu. I get my shot every year and so do my wife and kids. I stay home when I'm sick. I can't speak for everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

seems higher to me, but i am not a math major.   just a simple story teller.   what do i know?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

seems higher to me, but i am not a math major.   just a simple story teller.   what do i know?  

You realize this is an ongoing situation, right? Will you revisit your posts in a few days/weeks/months and hold yourself accountable?

I've already said repeatedly why those flu numbers are so bad. I hate it, too. I think we should do more. I think it deserves more media attention every year.

There's no advantage to downplaying this. I hope that despite your bluster here, you're taking caution in your day-to-day life. I hope everyone is. I want this to end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump said yesterday that we will "have done a good job" if we keep the deaths under 100,000. If the most important Republican in this country is also telling the story that we'll have 100k+ deaths, I am going to assume that we will have that many deaths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...