Pistol

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Check-up through 8 games:

-Tay Weaver is not seeing the volume he needs for the 3-point FG list, but still has a chance at 3FG%. He needs 56 makes to crack the senior top 10 and needs to be over 40% - he's currently 6-16, for .375.

-Jack Raboin hasn't attempted a FG yet but we haven't forgotten his perfect 100% shooting percentage from last season. Just need to get him 50 attempts this season.

-Jordan Goodwin is on several sophomore top-10 lists after last season and will chase a bunch of junior records this season. His scoring average of 15.9 is a little behind the top 10; he needs to average 16.8. Same with total points (has 127, needs 459). He has 83 rebounds and needs 244 to reach the top 10; his 10.4 RPG would put him 7th all-time among juniors. He'd finish just outside the top 10 in assists at his current pace but that list is also in play. He already has 17 steals and needs 44, so he's definitely going to make that one; the junior record of 59 is also likely going to fall this season. He's probably not going to reach the blocks or FG% lists but has an outside chance at those, as well.

-Hasahn French is now the program's all-time blocked shots leader, with 148 and counting. The junior record for blocks would only be 4th on the sophomore list, so I expect him to shatter the junior record (55, Ian Vouyoukas) this season. 73 (Willie Reed's sophomore year) remains the all-time all-class record, and anything above 44 gets him in the all-class top 10, where he owns the 3rd and 5th place marks. He currently has 23, just 2 shy of the junior top 10. He will likely tie or bump Dwayne Evans in the next game and climb the list rapidly. His 7 blocks against Belmont are tied for the second most in a single game (Kelvin Henderson had 8 against Siena in 1979 and Willie Reed had 7 against Dayton in 2009), and his 5 against Seton Hall are also among the 19 times in SLU history that a player has registered 5 or more blocks in a game. He has 83 rebounds and needs 244 to reach the top 10; his 10.4 RPG would put him 7th all-time among juniors. He is currently tied with Goodwin in both rebounding statistics this season, so they're chasing those marks together. His 24 rebounds against Belmont are tied for third-most in a game in school history (Rich Parks had 24 against Arkansas State in 1966, Bob Nordman had 27 against Kansas in 1959, and Jerry Koch had 38 vs. Bradley in 1954) and marked only the 16th time a Billiken had 20 or more in a game. His scoring is off pace for the top 10 lists but he has a small chance to make those if he goes nuts in conference.

-Javonte Perkins is not in play for any junior records currently but certainly showed us in the last game that he could start doing more offensively.

-Joshua Hightower won't play enough to hit the record books. But I organize this list by class.

-Demarius Jacobs is on track to bump Jordair Jett from the sophomore steals top 10. He has 10 and needs 39 to tie Jett. He has an outside shot at FT percentage but is currently well off the .779 needed to tie Jalen Johnson in 10th place.

-Fred Thatch is not in play for any sophomore records and we're obviously all hoping he gets healthy soon.

-K.C. Hankton is also not in play for any sophomore records, especially because he's only 0-4 from 3 on the season. A sophomore only needs 41 makes and/or a .363 percentage to make one or both of those lists so I thought he had a shot but it's not shaping up that way so far.

-Brandon Courtney isn't going to crack any sophomore lists.

-Yuri Collins is still well on pace to take the freshman assist record (113, Kwamain Mitchell) despite slowing down recently. If he continues to average 5.9 APG, he will register close to 200 on the season. He only needs to average about 3.5 per game to take the freshman mark, though. He needs 138 to tie Josh Fisher in 10th all-time in a season and the all-class season record is 235 (Jim Roder). Second all-time for any class is 193 (Charles Newberry), and that seems like a reasonable goal. Jett is third with 164 and he should top that. His 11 assists against EWU marked only the 13th time in SLU history a player has registered 11 or more in a game. Collins also has a good shot at freshman steals; he has 13 already and 32 would tie him in 10th place with Anthony Bonner on the freshman list.

-Gibson Jimerson is going to have a legitimate shot at the all-time freshman marks for 3-point field goals (58, Kevin Lisch) and 3-point FG percentage (.430, Marcus Bartley), and possibly could make other shooting lists. The percentage might be a tougher record to take if he's shooting at a high volume, but he'll be somewhere in the top 10, I'm sure. The record for 3-pointers in a season is 103 (Erwin Claggett), and 67 is enough for the top 10. To make the top-10 for 3P% in a season, he needs to be in the .425-.500 range. He's currently 18-41 from 3, for a percentage of .439. So he's on pace for about 75 3-pointers, easily the freshman record and within the all-class top 10, and his .439 would also be a freshman record and 7th all-time for any class.

-Jimmy Bell has a chance at blocks (22 ties him in 10th for freshmen with Evans) but isn't on pace for rebounding or any other freshman marks.

-Terrence Hargrove is not on pace for any freshman lists.

-Madani Diarra has also not played enough to be in play for any freshman marks.

tl;dr - French and Goodwin will be on a bunch of junior season lists, Collins and Jimerson will be on some freshman season lists, and the four of them will show up on all-class lists for a single season. We also have a few single-game performances that will be in the record books and the all-time blocks record has fallen.

HoosierPal and Zink like this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-Hasahn French is now the program's all-time blocked shots leader, with 148 and counting. The junior record for blocks would only be 4th on the sophomore list, so I expect him to shatter the junior record (55, Ian Vouyoukas) this season. 73 (Willie Reed's sophomore year) remains the all-time all-class record, and anything above 44 gets him in the all-class top 10, where he owns the 3rd and 5th place marks. He currently has 23, just 2 shy of the junior top 10. He will likely tie or bump Dwayne Evans in the next game and climb the list rapidly. His 7 blocks against Belmont are tied for the second most in a single game (Kelvin Henderson had 8 against Siena in 1979 and Willie Reed had 7 against Dayton in 2009), and his 5 against Seton Hall are also among the 19 times in SLU history that a player has registered 5 or more blocks in a game. He has 83 rebounds and needs 244 to reach the top 10; his 10.4 RPG would put him 7th all-time among juniors. He is currently tied with Goodwin in both rebounding statistics this season, so they're chasing those marks together.

Also of note, French and Goodwin are both top 20 in the nation in rebounding.  Collins top 30 in assists.

When is the last time (if ever) we had two players in the top 20 nationally in rebounding?...and one is a guard.

As always, great posts Pistol.

Pistol likes this

17 three-pointers made vs. Tulane is a new SLU record. The previous record was 15, set twice: 2007 at Temple and 2004 vs. K-State.

A SLU player has only made 7 or more in a game 9 times. Tommie Liddell is the only to hit 8 in a game. Jimerson and Jacobs each had 6 vs. Tulane, so they were close.

I can't confirm this, but I bet that's the first time two SLU players have made 6 or more in the same game.

Compton and Adman like this

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Would not be surprised to see Gibson hit 10 in a game at some point

Surprised if he doesn't in his career. So far he hasn't really been guarded that much relative to his deadlieness. If they start doubling on him lookout for our 2 studs to start averaging 20 a game.

15 hours ago, almaman said:

Surprised if he doesn't in his career. So far he hasn't really been guarded that much relative to his deadlieness. If they start doubling on him lookout for our 2 studs to start averaging 20 a game.

Seems like it's been forever since we've had this many weapons on offense....

35 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Seems like it's been forever since we've had this many weapons on offense....

this is like what spoonball could have been if there had been a big inside presence. i had hope this would be our team preseason and it appears it is starting to come together. lets take down auburn

Jimerson has now qualified for three's attempted records, with 50 attempts being the benchmark.  Today he stands 5th on the Single Season Record 3FG%, at 0.453%, just behind Tommy Liddell III's 0.454%.  (I don't remember Liddell being that proficient of a three point artist, but obviously he was.)

French has moved up to 18th on Career Rebounds.  

Goodwin stands in 4th on Career Minutes Average at 33.6 mpg, right behind the All-Time Billiken Great, Anthony Bonner.

Pistol likes this

53 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Jimerson has now qualified for three's attempted records, with 50 attempts being the benchmark.  Today he stands 5th on the Single Season Record 3FG%, at 0.453%, just behind Tommy Liddell III's 0.454%.  (I don't remember Liddell being that proficient of a three point artist, but obviously he was.)

I'm sure you know this, but that year (his soph season) was by far Liddell's best shooting year.  He didn't top 35% any other year and even with that big year in his career totals he shot 37% from 3 for his career.  He also wasn't ever shooting a high volume of 3s, so IMO the %s are much less impressive.  That big soph year he set a career high with 108 attempts or 3.3 per game.  He shot 2.3 per game from distance for his career.  For comparison, Lisch over the same time frame shot 5.3 per game and Jimerson is at 5.9 per this season.  Even a player like Javon Bess who wasn't exactly known for 3 pt shooting shot 5.6 per last season and 2.7 per for his career (including time at MSU where he barely shot 3s at all).

Long way of saying that I do not consider Tommie Liddell III to be among the top 15 (perhaps more) 3 pt shooters in Billiken history despite that one season with a great %.

HoosierPal likes this

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

French has moved up to 18th on Career Rebounds.  

Goodwin stands in 4th on Career Minutes Average at 33.6 mpg, right behind the All-Time Billiken Great, Anthony Bonner.

-this is probably mentioned elsewhere on the site, but I think GJ should have a complete green light and the staff should be coaching how he should handle the increase in awareness from the defenses we will face (hello entry to French, jam time!)

22 hours ago, Pistol said:

17 three-pointers made vs. Tulane is a new SLU record. The previous record was 15, set twice: 2007 at Temple and 2004 vs. K-State.

A SLU player has only made 7 or more in a game 9 times. Tommie Liddell is the only to hit 8 in a game. Jimerson and Jacobs each had 6 vs. Tulane, so they were close.

I can't confirm this, but I bet that's the first time two SLU players have made 6 or more in the same game.

If you didn't know how far down the list would Tommie be when trying to guess the record holder

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-this is probably mentioned elsewhere on the site, but I think GJ should have a complete green light and the staff should be coaching how he should handle the increase in awareness from the defenses we will face (hello entry to French, jam time!)

He does have a green light. You don't stop and shoot a 3 on a fast break unless you have freedom. Obviously his scoring is important but just as important is that he opens up the floor for others. 

slufan13 likes this

7 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm sure you know this, but that year (his soph season) was by far Liddell's best shooting year.  He didn't top 35% any other year and even with that big year in his career totals he shot 37% from 3 for his career.  He also wasn't ever shooting a high volume of 3s, so IMO the %s are much less impressive.  That big soph year he set a career high with 108 attempts or 3.3 per game.  He shot 2.3 per game from distance for his career.  For comparison, Lisch over the same time frame shot 5.3 per game and Jimerson is at 5.9 per this season.  Even a player like Javon Bess who wasn't exactly known for 3 pt shooting shot 5.6 per last season and 2.7 per for his career (including time at MSU where he barely shot 3s at all).

Long way of saying that I do not consider Tommie Liddell III to be among the top 15 (perhaps more) 3 pt shooters in Billiken history despite that one season with a great %.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to be argumentative, just want to show some love to TLIII, who is one of my favorite Bills of all time.

Tommie actually did top 35% his senior year and was at 34.9% his junior year, which is still good. Here are some players Tommie shot a higher careet 3pt% than: 

• Cody Ellis
  • Kwamain Mitchell
  • Mike McCall
  • Danny Brown
  • Rob Loe
  • Josh Fisher
  • Javon Bess
  • Tramaine Isabell

Tommie was not an elite shooter, but he is a good example of a guy who put in the work to make himself a good to very good shooter. And his sophomore season was one of the more impressive shooting seasons I've seen in my lifetime as a Billiken fan.

22 hours ago, NH said:

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to be argumentative, just want to show some love to TLIII, who is one of my favorite Bills of all time.

Tommie actually did top 35% his senior year and was at 34.9% his junior year, which is still good. Here are some players Tommie shot a higher careet 3pt% than: 

• Cody Ellis
  • Kwamain Mitchell
  • Mike McCall
  • Danny Brown
  • Rob Loe
  • Josh Fisher
  • Javon Bess
  • Tramaine Isabell

Tommie was not an elite shooter, but he is a good example of a guy who put in the work to make himself a good to very good shooter. And his sophomore season was one of the more impressive shooting seasons I've seen in my lifetime as a Billiken fan.

I like Tommie also and realize he made himself a much better shooter. Still he'd have been down my list quite a ways when trying to guess who had hit the most 3's in a game. 

18 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I like Tommie also and realize he made himself a much better shooter. Still he'd have been down my list quite a ways when trying to guess who had hit the most 3's in a game. 

Exactly.  I wasn't trying to knock Tommie with my post.  He was a heck of a player who did a lot of different things very well.  At one point, I believe he was the only Billiken in the top 10 in career scoring, rebounding, and assists.  I just never considered him an excellent 3 pt shooter despite that one great % season.  I'd still rank a few of the guys (McCall, Mitchell, Ellis) on @NH's list as better shooters than Tommie because volume matters.  I'd probably put the other guys about even with him because of volume (Loe, Bess, Isabell) or the career %s being about even (Fisher, Brown).

Yeah like I said, I didn't mean that as an argument or disagreement with what you guys were saying. I totally see where you're coming from.

I only wanted to say that Tommie deserves a lot of credit for his shooting, and is probably underrated by Billikens fans in terms of his accuracy. 37% for his career (on 291 attempts) is pretty impressive for a guy who at one point seemed incapable of making a three,

slufanskip likes this